Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VexxHost ...

VexxHost ...

Hi ... wondering if anyone uses or has used VexxHost, in Montreal. Comments, bad or good, appreciated. Also advice about how to deal with VexxHost. Yes, it certainly seems to oversell, but I don't need much, of what it offers and is slow to respond, but it's in Canada, which is my need. Whatever you have to offer, re: VexxHost, is most appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by drgeorgep; 07-28-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: missing letter;

Hi ... wondering if anyone uses or has used VexxHost, in Montreal. Comments, bad or good, appreciated. Also advice about how to deal with VexxHost. Yes, it certainly seems to oversell, but I don't need much, of what it offers and is slow to respond, but it's in Canada, which is my need. Whatever you have to offer, re: VexxHost, is most appreciated. Thanks.
    I have never heard of VexxHost and I could not comment on them.
    Though can I ask what sort of budget and requirements you have and really need?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I have not found any reviews about them but their prices look steep to me.

I responded to your post on V7N regarding them as well.

Seems they have been around since 2006, Though I have never seen them before. Weird I suppose. If you are so intrigued why not give them a shot and relate back?

Sean

They are quite new may be... And as you said they are oversellers. I suppose that is not good way to go for you. Maybe that is better do another search and find another web hosting provider

Hi ... thanks for all the quick input.

ATH-Sean asks about my requirements, which are linux, about 30 GB space; 1000GB bandwidth per month; FrontPage Extensions, for now; PHP; fewer than 100 e-mails; flash, shockwave and reasonably quick loadings of a few audio and video files, on demand. All site content meets "fair usage," of Canadian Copyright Law, ergo the need for a Canadian site. I'm not versed in USA or UK copyright, which does differ from Canada, and prefer not to jeopardize my content.

Am thinking I'll give Vexx Host a try and report back, as suggested.

Still gathering information, though.

drgeorgep

You'd better go with VPS. For this I recommend visiting offers on this board. Or you can use "FIND A HOST" tool here to get more direct offers from subscribed providers

You'd better go with VPS. For this I recommend visiting offers on this board. Or you can use "FIND A HOST" tool here to get more direct offers from subscribed providers
    I would be thinking more of a Dedicated Server, 1000GB = 1TB. Personally I would find this the best option if you are really going to be using such resources.

People claim they have used this much via Shared Hosting, But I would love to see some proof of this

Hi SiberForum ... I seriously considered VPS, but after months, literally, of research, I concluded I don't have the skills, the knack to step up to VPS or the time to learn, at least for time being.

BTW: given the locations, of posters on WHT, you're down the street and around the corner from me. It's a small world, sometimes. Don't supposed you used to spell Siber, Cyber???? Thanks.

Hi ATH-Sean ... see my response to SiberForum, plus I don't have the cash flow to justify a dedicated server. Great idea, though, and that's for sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drgeorgep View Post
    Hi SiberForum ... I seriously considered VPS, but after months, literally, of research, I concluded I don't have the skills, the knack to step up to VPS or the time to learn, at least for time being.

BTW: given the locations, of posters on WHT, you're down the street and around the corner from me. It's a small world, sometimes. Don't supposed you used to spell Siber, Cyber???? Thanks.
    Ok. But be accurate oversellers are here. Ask the company if they have any limitations for the CPU and RAM on their shared accounts.
    You need little bit more then average shared web hosting account can handle

Hi SiberForum ... did ask your questions, although not as directly. Limitations are about 2% of total resources, for shared accounts and no more than 10% of monthly resources during a 24 hour period.

Maybe I over-estimted when I said 1000GM. I get about 5 million page views per month. A typical file is about 12 kb and a handful (12) larger files are less than 150 kb, including photographs or graphics. Audio and video files, of which there are few (25), top at about 32 mgs, but aren't watched too often. All told, then, maybe closer to 600 GB, per month, plus 100 GB wiggle room.

You have a huge progect and I assume you have that hosted somewhere. So if that is not a secret could yopu please inform us about previous web hosting account?
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Hi ATH-Sean ... see my response to SiberForum, plus I don't have the cash flow to justify a dedicated server. Great idea, though, and that's for sure. Thanks.
    Which I can understand, But I think if you are really going to utilise in all that of your requirements I do not see it happening on a Shared Account.

Sean

Hi Rumsfo ... sure, NetNation.ca. I have an unlimited shared hosting plan, but it's depreciated since NetNation.ca was purchased by Hostway. Site growth likely hasn't helped keep the service at an acceptable level, but I do use only a fraction of available resources. When support moved to Bulgaria, last December, I think, the quality of service fell, drastically. Time to move on.

Hi ATH-Sean, I agree, re: resource use, on a shared plan, so am also considering cutting back on site content and, as I can, activity. Thanks for your always wise thoughts and words.

Update ... taking the advice of ATH-Sean, I signed up with VexxHost. Paypal dropped the ball on the sign-up payment, but that got worked out. How my former host, NetNation, configured my account interfered with migration of the site to VexxHost. Both problems have nothing to do, with VexxHost, but Brian Vinson, who runs the company, was patient and helpful. We saw through the problems and my site is happily located at VexxHost.

Previously, I relied, heavily, on FrontPage, buwith t urging and help from Brian, my site is free of FP. If nothing else, this cuts back up and storage space requirements in half.

All is great, with VexxHost, so far. Only minor irritant is slow support response: mostly one e-mail a day for not vital matters.

The Summer Special includes everything under the sun and it's all unlimited. According to domaintools.com, VexxHost has about 3500 -- 3501 -- customers, of one sort another. I don't suspect the company is going anywhere, any time soon.

The charge is $3.95 USD a month, paid on a yearly basis. A dedicated IP is $2.00 USD per month. If you're in Canada, GST is added to the order.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Will keep you posted.

Tried vexxhost for a year a while back ago. And I must say, it was a bad experience. Connections from Singapore was often blocked. I can't even view my own website. Sometimes, even vexxhost.com can't even be viewed. Each time, when I check with support, they say nothing is wrong. Support is slow in respond as well, sometimes taking 3-4 days. I would say, stay away.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

I'd like to hear how things are going if you ever hit 1,000gb traffic or even half that. But without a MySQL backend and just straightforward html type traffic I think that you might actually get away with it.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Well Good Luck to the OP. Please do let us know in the future how you cope with this Webhost. Jweeb seems to of had a bad experience, But this your now your turn to let us know how things pan out over the next several months.

Good Luck!

I'm surprised how they can offer 1000GB of Disk space and 10TB of bandwidth for only $2.55/mo. I would be cautious when approaching these numbers.

Hi ... thanks for the support. I hope I don't have the same experience as Jweed, but time will tell; I can always scamper to HostGator, if trouble brews. I'm always wary.

NexDog, I routinely did about 130 GB a week, while with NetNation. Am posting new, high-end content over the next two weeks, so will likely be able to report on service, at that level or, hopefully, higher, from VexxHost. Thanks to all.

Hi ... as promised, a Vexx Host update. After 3+ weeks, with Vexx Host, I find it fast and efficient, the support is okay. If you're in a pinch, support is back to you asap and as often as necessary. If not, you may have so settle for one reply a day. Still, when the problem is urgent, the support response is urgent. I find my site loads 2-3 times faster than at NetNation, and maybe faster. The few videos and audio files I have load about 10 times faster than NetNation and I haven't got around to setting up the video hosting. All in all, I like Vexx Hosting and the office is less than a hour from me: I can show up on a dime and give nine cents change. Hope this helps. Details as they break.

Customer Support is horrible

i've spent only 1 day yet with vexxhost. I signed up at 31th Oct. The support is horrible i must say. The host from which i transferred provides live support. But Vexxhost DOEST NOT. they use ticket system. I've opened a ticket to enable ssh on my account. its been more than 20hours, but not a response. Live support addicts dont use them.

Hi ... first two or three days, with Vexxhost, I, too, found frustrating and sometimes bewildering. No question, it takes about 24 hours to get the ticket going. Once Vexxhost is on to your issue, it's fixed quickly or they become much more responsive. I find Vexxhost replied either early in the morning or between 5 pm and 6pm, seven days a week. Again, I have nothing but good words for Vexxhost, Yes, VexxHost takes a bit of patience and getting used to how they work, but it's worth it. Once up and running, those who have bought through my affiliate link find the service A-list. Hope you do too. My sense is you won't be disappointed, if you cut some slack. Plus, they have a good, no questions asked refund policy. I like Vexxhost, a lot. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast