32-bit or 64-bit?

Hi there,
    I'm in confusion while choosing a dedicated server.

My requirement is to run virtual servers on my dedicated server.

which Architecture do you prefer
    32-bit (x86)
    OR
    64-bit (x64)?

AND personally which architecture do you use for dedicated servers?

I only use 64 bit on all of our servers. On our managed dedicated servers that customer can choose but on all of our internal servers it is 64bit only.

Thanks for your fast reply,

can i install a 32-bit VM's on 64-bit dedicated servers?

You may be able to but that may leave to problems. I would avoid doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by multimedia9 View Post
    Thanks for your fast reply,

can i install a 32-bit VM's on 64-bit dedicated servers?
    Yes you can.

Quote Originally Posted by nonparity View Post
    You may be able to but that may leave to problems. I would avoid doing that.
    I'm afraid this isn't true - you can install 32bit VMs on a 64bit server without any issues. You need to use a decent hypervisor, but that is all.

64bit is recommended, how much RAM would your VPS nodes have?

If you need a particular application on your 64 bit dedicated server, make sure that it has 64 bit installer and there are no issues with it.
    Support Facility | Your 24/7 outsourcing partner!
    Technical support | Server management
    Fantabulous hosting technical support

64 bit is the right choice in 90% of situations these days. One or two years ago I would say go for 32 bit (64 bit server but run 32 bit software there) because there were still compatibility issues with many applications.

But there shouldn't be any problems these days.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    64bit is recommended, how much RAM would your VPS nodes have?
    I will install two VM's on my box. One for windows and one for linux of 2GB RAM each.

Only go for 64 bit if you require more than 4GB of RAM or are going to run VM's on your server - otherwise you might find software conflicts on the server.

I'd go with a 64-bit operating system.

64-bit, and anyways 64-bit operating systems still can run 32-bit software and programs.

if i were you id go for 64 bit one because there is a simple sentence;

you can install x86 components on x64 architecture, but you can NOT install ANY OF x64 conponents on x86 architecture

64-bit is better for me as I use 8gb of RAM =P

16. i think 32 bit is better

64 bit all the way. All modern processors these days can use 64 bit so there is little reason why you shouldn't choose to go that route.

Based on the only fully comprehensive set of benchmarks from when 64bit first became mainstream, 32bit generally had better performance with the exception of memory intensive applications like databases. The reasons for the difference in performance were rooted in the architecture rather than the software, so I don't see any reason for this to be any less true today. It may be possible that a few applications that were borderline in respect to 32bit vs 64bit performance may now have a slight edge on 64bit, but I have yet to see anyone provide evidence of this one way or the other.

In short, if you need more than 4GB of memory for a single application, or run data intensive applications, go 64bit. Otherwise, stick with 32bit.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami