server has been hacked

my server, os:centOS.
    Someone had ssh access the server. And they clear all the log. so I don't know what they has done to the server.
    no idea how they did it. the password is pretty complicated.

Anyway, what should i do to make sure the server is still health.

Wait so what have you noticed happen? If its just logs are you sure somthing else did not eraase them?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

when I log in to my server, it said "Last login: Fri Jul 24 08:20:48 2009 from ..."
    and I checked the IP, it is from Algeria?
    Then I realize the server has been hacked, then I check the logs, it's all been erased.

If you're certain the box has been compromised, reload it. Unless you had something like Tripwire running already, you're unlikely to ever know what the person has done.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Unfortunately, you will need to wipe the hard drive and do a fresh OS install.

Hackers these days are clever enough to leave behind backdoors on reloaded OS and a full wipe is necessary to start fresh.

If you had SSH with a strong password, then their had to be another way for the hacker to break in and unless you patch that hole, they could do it again.

Did you have a firewall like CSF or APF installed?

Maybe your computer is infected?

Immediate changing of ssh pass.STRONG PASS incuding symbols which cant be "Brute forced".Also install of mod security.If you need help, sent me a pm
    Freelancer Linux System Administrator
    www.hirekostas.com

can you post the address or ip of you server so it could be nmaped to see if you have any rootkits running? also run chkrootkit, rkhunter and unhide and post the output of them ... the system can be cleaned without full wipe, it would be for the best to clean the system and harden it, if you re-install it in the same way it will be hacked in the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Maybe your computer is infected?
    That might be a possibility.

Check if there are any suspicious activities running.

Did they log in as root? Then it's a OS re-install I am afraid, anything less doesn't guarantee anything.

I would simply put only your ip on host allow,so even if they have root password they wont be able to access.Same for other important services like ftp,control panel,mysql,etc.

After OS reload, and change the password to VERY strong.
    Still got hacked again. Same hacker.
    when I checked /var/log/secure
    sshd[29283]: Accepted password for root from 11.97.92.10* port 2303 ssh2
    Last edited by heropage; 09-10-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Who knew of the new password?

Are any of those people (including yourself) using an SSH client to access the server?

Are you storing the password in that SSH program?

Are you (or anyone that has the password) storing the password anywhere on their computer?

I am thinking that you or someone who has the password has a virus/trojan/keylogger installed and running on their computer that is stealing the password information and sending it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SPaReK View Post
    Who knew of the new password?

Are any of those people (including yourself) using an SSH client to access the server?

Are you storing the password in that SSH program?

Are you (or anyone that has the password) storing the password anywhere on their computer?

I am thinking that you or someone who has the password has a virus/trojan/keylogger installed and running on their computer that is stealing the password information and sending it to someone else.
    I am using putty to access to the server. My hosting company also has the password.

Now I use host allow to restrict access. I think it's the best way.

^ I would supect the same, did you scan your pc already? seems like he's sniffing the password from your pc.

Have you considered getting server management ?

As security is an ongoing process.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Your datacenter could be a point of password exploit, but I would think that if that is the case, then all of their servers would be being exploited, since its safe to assume that if one password is compromised at the datacenter then all of their passwords would be compromised.

I always recommend that you change the root password of any server so that it is not the same as what the datacenter has. Unless there is a specific reason for the datacenter to need the password for your server.

To my knowledge Putty does not provide any means of storing a password. But if the root password is still the same as the original root password that was likely e-mailed to you, then the virus/trojan/keylogger could be scanning your e-mail for this information.

If you have a virus/trojan/keylogger installed on your computer, then you need to deal with this because this means your computer is vulnerable. I'm assuming you are running a Windows OS. I'm not sure what the best tools are for dealing with this threat on Windows are. Perhaps someone else can make suggestions for this.

Why do people use passwords for SSH? They are so insecure.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Be sure your kernel is upgraded to the latest one and check if some users have SSH access so they can exploit you. You better disable the direct root login via SSH but use command su to gain root access.

Switch to publickey auth instead of Your current method.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostDog View Post
    Be sure your kernel is upgraded to the latest one and check if some users have SSH access so they can exploit you. You better disable the direct root login via SSH but use command su to gain root access.
    I also recommend updating to lastest kernel and disable direct root access and use - su instead or configure an firewall to try and prevent attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveForce View Post
    I also recommend updating to lastest kernel and disable direct root access and use - su instead or configure an firewall to try and prevent attacks.
    Yes, he's right. Go through the whole new server security checklist that has been posted in many places on the net. Never have direct root access.

And people have been asking you to check your personal computer for viruses because that's been a source of problems lately where they get the password when you store or enter it from there.

If you are going to manage a server, I recommend to start running Linux at home, probably Ubuntu is best and easy to get going. Why chance it with a OS that's known for being compromised easily? What's your time worth?

You didn't mention how many other people access your system, it's possible that this guy comes in from some other account that hasn't changed it's password yet and that somehow gives him access (too many ways to list here).

And having SSH keys stored instead of using passwords doesn't help when your home computer has a virus, it's actually worse because it's right there on your HD instead of in your head.

I am willing to bet, that you have an outdated kernel that allowed a root escalation to happen. I have seen several servers this week that were exploited by the recent kernel exploit and ssh users added with root privileges.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance