Talking cPanel Backup Question

Hi guys,

Quick question for all you cPanel users out there, At the moment i have a dedicated server running centOS along with cPanel, Im doing my daily-backups which is sweet. I have had a good look through Google and some other forums along with this one but my quesiton is still unawnsered.

I have a total of 2x500gb on my server, doing daily backups uses a fair amount of that space. I was thinking i could get a hosting account from another company and use them to store my backups. Is this a good idea?

In the cPanel root options there is the option todo a remote ftp, but it states "Accounts Only" does this mean it doesnt backup SQL etc?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liicht View Post
    I have a total of 2x500gb on my server, doing daily backups uses a fair amount of that space. I was thinking i could get a hosting account from another company and use them to store my backups. Is this a good idea?
    Worst idea for a backup. Shared accounts will be terminated way before you use that space, most of them don't allow storage of backups, and most are already overselling.

Besides, they will be backing up those accounts too, and you can't expect them to backup your backups for less money than your own backup costs.

Go to bqbackup.com and get some raw FTP storage.

In the cPanel root options there is the option todo a remote ftp, but it states "Accounts Only" does this mean it doesnt backup SQL etc?
    "Accounts Only" means the system will not backup server config files, especially the ones under /etc. But it does backup the mysqls and other things related to individual websites.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!
      0 Not allowed!

Using shared hosting for backups will be a very bad idea. Why dont you get a VPS instead? The price differences are not that much.
      0 Not allowed!

Thirded. Using a shared hosting company for backups will end up with you losing whatever money you give them when they terminate your account. As mentioned a VPS with a different provider is a good idea here as it shouldn't have any stipulations about what you can/can't store.

You should look for a VPS provider that's capable of scaling your disk usage with you as you grow. If you check out something like VPS.Net, you can add nodes as you need them, which raises your disk space every time. This way, you're not paying for space you're not using.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi guys,

Quick question for all you cPanel users out there, At the moment i have a dedicated server running centOS along with cPanel, Im doing my daily-backups which is sweet. I have had a good look through Google and some other forums along with this one but my quesiton is still unawnsered.

For large backups I wouldn't use FTP.
    MAybe you could add another hard drive to store backups there, or ask your DC for a backup solution.

For my knowledge that accounts only will still make a full backup including mysql, though Im not 100% sure.
      0 Not allowed!

Full backup DOES include the database's on your server. I just checked via mine for you
    I don't post a lot.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Full backup DOES include the database's on your server. I just checked via mine for you
    This is true.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.
      0 Not allowed!

When it states account(s) only, it means that it does not backup your cPanel configuration files, the /var/lib/mysql directory, and other various configurations.

When you backup locally, it always backs these types of configurations up.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Certainly does The cPanel backup tool is pretty simple to use and we're yet to have a failed backup using it - just wish it wasn't so resource intensive.
      0 Not allowed!

im using cpanel to back up daily to the machine then using webbycart to rscync the cpanel backup folder 3 hours after cpanel starts its backup
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by punker101 View Post
    im using cpanel to back up daily to the machine then using webbycart to rscync the cpanel backup folder 3 hours after cpanel starts its backup
    Ι recommend you write a simple shell script that checks that cpanel backup is not running, and then rsync the backups to webbycart.
      0 Not allowed!

I recommend you to start using R1soft.

Not only does it blend in completely with Cpanel, it also backups every change every 5 minutes, allows you to restore from hundreds of restore points a day and best of all, your users can manage/restore their own backups from Cpanel.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all your prompt replies!

I have now decided that i should get a second larger hard-drive and just backup everything onto that, Should i set it up using a RAID so it would mirror everything onto the hard-drive?

Or have the primary and backup onto the second hard-drive only? Then only backup the weeklies to an offsite storage or even download it to my computer and store it here?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Ι recommend you write a simple shell script that checks that cpanel backup is not running, and then rsync the backups to webbycart.
    Thats a good idea i had not thought of that!

Thanks very much!
      0 Not allowed!