Few Quastion Before Buy VPS

Hello All!

I Had to leave from Shared Hosting to Managed VPS . Since it was Fully Managed I didt learn Good enoght about VPS . Now i need to Buy another VPS for Learning. Quastion I have

1- Why do I need to have 2 IPS
    2- If i dont Buy any Control Panel , and want to Use free Control panel . Which is the Best and Up to date . and How Much Memory Use's.

3- I Need Just to Run the VPS for One Site , isnt Plesk free For One DOmain, Correct Me if i'm wrong Please .

Thats All For Now

Thx

1. the 2 IPs are generally used for nameservers (e.g. ns1 and ns2), you also need a dedicated IP for SSL cerificates etc. If you aren't going to run your own nameserver and only have a single site you probably only need 1 IP
    2. Webmin (www.webmin.com) is a free control panel that you can use, and not bad
    3. Not sure about this, sorry
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

Quote Originally Posted by RavC View Post
    1. the 2 IPs are generally used for nameservers (e.g. ns1 and ns2), you also need a dedicated IP for SSL cerificates etc. If you aren't going to run your own nameserver and only have a single site you probably only need 1 IP
    2. Webmin (www.webmin.com) is a free control panel that you can use, and not bad
    3. Not sure about this, sorry
    Thank you.. I remember Once Saw that on thier Site .. But i dont see it Now.

you didt tell me how much Ram webmin uses

Great to see you are learning how to setup your own VPS It's always great to learn.

I think you are right,

When you download Parallels Plesk Panel from our website, you are downloading a free, fully functional version, activated for 1-domain and 1-email. To activate Parallels Plesk Panel for more than one domain, you must purchase a multiple domain license. After completing the purchase of a license, you will receive a key that activates the software for the additional number of domains.
    http://www.parallels.com/download/plesk/products/

Hello,

IMHO it will be much better and more advanced to administrate the server without control panel, but you should have enough knowledge to do that.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Windows Web hosting information and resources.

Yes it's more advance to administrate a server without a control panel, but is it better? Controlling your websites via a panel such as cPanel is much easier in my opinion.

Yah Guys But i'm looking for Free Panels , I dont want Pay for Learning , I need to learn with SSH But i need the control panel for Easy control and fix when Mess up..

I will Go with plesk since it free for single domain when i'm done remove it then try another one .. keep learing this the Goal just to learn ..

Hi,

You're on the right track. For a free control panel, try webmin or virtualmin.
    Webmin is more intended towards server administration tasks, whereas virtualmin is for providing shared hosting(unlimited domains and all). Also there's VHCS, but i'm not sure whether it is uptodate or secure as it has had some issues previously (I don't know how long back this is tho)

As you're using for learning purposes, it's better to get something cheap. There are good offers here at WHT. Take look at them and choose. Something with 256MB RAM should be enough for your learning tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by onasre View Post
    Hello All!

I Had to leave from Shared Hosting to Managed VPS . Since it was Fully Managed I didt learn Good enoght about VPS . Now i need to Buy another VPS for Learning. Quastion I have

2- If i dont Buy any Control Panel , and want to Use free Control panel . Which is the Best and Up to date . and How Much Memory Use's.

3- I Need Just to Run the VPS for One Site , isnt Plesk free For One DOmain, Correct Me if i'm wrong Please .

Thats All For Now

Thx
    Many providers are asking two name servers when ordering a vps though it is not really needed. It depends what are you going to do with your vps.

I am not aware of any free control panels for hosting that would be light enough to work on vps.

Yah Guys But i'm looking for Free Panels , I dont want Pay for Learning , I need to learn with SSH But i need the control panel for Easy control and fix when Mess up..

I will Go with plesk since it free for single domain when i'm done remove it then try another one .. keep learing this the Goal just to learn ..
    I appreciate your efforts to learn things. Go ahead and you can use WHT when you need some assistance. WHT has some really knowledgeable people around. Best of luck.

1. You don't need 2 IP's most people do for nameserver but your VPS will work fine with only one. 80% of our clients run single IP's with no problems.

2. Kloxo used to be the best, with the Lxlabs problems I am not 100% sure now, I would look into webmin or DirectAdmin for $6 a month is cheap!

3. Plesk i think is free for 1 domain, not 100% on that.

Hello All!

Thats All For Now

Thx
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Since the rest of your questions have been answered take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control...web_hosting%29

some options for free control panels.

Good Luck!

Thank you Ya All ! I think i Know wht to do Now and where to Start .Will Keep you Updated.

Thank you

One point to mention is that running a server with a control panel is a bit different to running a server without.

You have to find ways to achieve your goals which also fit with the way the control panel works. Depending on the control panel this may limit the log formats, servers you can use for various services (e.g. have to use specific mail, FTP, or web servers which are supported by the panel) etc.

Therefore whether or not you should use a panel in this instance really depends on your ultimate aim. The main reason for their existance is to give end users a way to perform various tasks without the appropriate knowledge or level of access necessary to do it within the various server configuration files. However, it can also be a lot more convenient (i.e. quicker/easier) for even an experienced administrator to use a control panel system.

If this is 100% for your own use and you'd prefer to have a deep understanding, then actually I think control panels may frustrate you. You'll modify a configuration file and it will modify it back, or you'll change something and the panel will stop working etc.

If you want to learn in order to use something requiring a panel later (e.g. to provide a sort of hosting service to your friends/colleagues/customers etc.) then I would suggest that learning how to work with a suitable control panel is a good option.

In the latter case you will find that most providers offer low pricing on various popular control panels, and therefore it shouldn't necessarily exceed your budget.
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Running a server without a control panel requires more knowledge, but it is not extraordinarily difficult. If you're the only person who will have access, and you'll host just the one domain, then the administration is somewhat easier (than a multi-user, multi-domain setup).

I'd suggest making a list of tasks that you currently accomplish through a control panel and then for each one ask the question, "How would I do this without a panel?"

The answers can be found by web research and reading. If you find that you readily grasp the concepts then by all means go for it. If you find yourself increasingly befuddled by seemingly incomprehensible configurations, then perhaps a control panel is a good idea

Thx to all above ... just update you .. i bought A VPS . used the SSh to Control and install some stuff .. But i found it much easier with control Panel , i installed Webmin , But removed it to try Kloxo . And Kloxo Shock Me How Nice interface and Easy to use . I was Sad to find Out it was hacked and ended up in Tragic end for the Devloper . But it worth to use , i found it easer than cpanel for me ..

Since i just want learn and i have Only one site to work with , so i dont care if i get hacked , or if even the domain Get stolen , all just For testing the VPS and the Domain... any time i can buy new domain for only $1.99 with yahoo...

I'd say virtualmin...you will get webmin automatically when you install.
    Webmin will allow you to configure / control the server, virtualmin is the host control panel.
    Both work really well. You can't beat the price.

You should know that the future of Kloxo is in flux...the one-man-band running that show is deceased, and there will be no further updates in the foreseeable future.
    Nearest estimates are 1-2 years. You may want to reconsider that. Not to mention it's security issues, and LXAdmin even deemed it "not suitable for production use" after it replaced LXAdmin. Not good to get involved with, IMHO.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Since i just want learn and i have Only one site to work with , so i dont care if i get hacked
    Learning how not to get hacked should be a top priority for a new server administrator. A hacked server can affect many, many other people -- not just you.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Learning how not to get hacked should be a top priority for a new server administrator. A hacked server can affect many, many other people -- not just you.

Just my opinion.
    T be Honest with you in past 2 days i learned A lot .. I bought unmanged VPS , i Learned How to Sign in and Fix the DNS , Excute some Code's . Installed even different Control Panel and tested Them .SO i did Learn very good in two days .

and i Need someone To Hack me , and when i'm all Set i will even Look for Someone To Hack me , i Need to Know why it Happend , How he went Thru .. Thats part of me My learning .. i will seek a friend who can try to hack and see the result..Maybe Sound Stupid .. but wht the Heak !

RavC said:

hmm..To use an SSL cert u need a dedicated ip? are you saying that
    if I have 1 webserver, running on a single box, I can't use that cert? I thought the cert was for the domain..not the ip? I'm confused..
    I was planning on using port 80 for everything except login, at which point I would issue a redirect to port 443 (i.e. https)...

Interesting, I have been trying to figure out exactly what these fancy panels are..(I develop on linux and know my away around somewhat), but have never had to deploy my own website..until now. One question I have about these 'panels' is..will they actually install the apps they manage?..i.e. using webmin or whatever..can I actually just click a button that says: install tomcat...will go and download via yum/or apt? the same goes with mysql? I'm guessing I should probably avoid the control panels..since they will likely do things differently then I would expect..confusing me even more. (and I'm using only 1 server 1 ip).

Quote Originally Posted by MrDano View Post
    RavC said:
    hmm..To use an SSL cert u need a dedicated ip?
    When installing the SSL certificate on a server, it's assigned to an IP address rather than a domain name (it's issued for a specific domain name though). This means that you require a separate IP address for each SSL certificate you install. If any other sites are using that same IP address it will mean that the server also presents that certificate for any secure connections opened with those sites (which will lead to a certificate mismatch error/warning shown in the browser).