Hybrid View

CLOUD file and web hosting - please advise

Hello, I currently require at minimum 150gb space and 6000GB bandwidth each month and would like to see options for CLOUD based services which deliver content via global CDN.

What experiences have you had like this? Who would you recommend?

rackspacecloud would be my choice but with any cloud provider you are looking at a lot of money with your requirements

Go through dedicated server offers on the forum and leave a quote in the "FIND A HOST" section on the webhostingtalk. I suppose that is the best way to have several solution to review and to choose from

Unfortunately as I stated I am looking for cloud based services which deliver content via CDN (e.g. nodes around the world). The request / find a host pages are useless as they don't appear to support this.

Here are some lower prices http://www.simplecdn.com

I didn't used them, so I can't tell how good the service is.

Quote Originally Posted by sheic View Post
    I didn't used them, so I can't tell how good the service is.
    They seem extremely slow for anyone not in the USA by the looks of it. I only got 1.18M/s from gbit uk box.
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

This would cost you a lot. Especially if you want a hosting service delivered via global CDN. There is a Cloud section within the forums. Go there to read some threads and post. You might find some reference there.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Quote Originally Posted by filethis View Post
    Hello, I currently require at minimum 150gb space and 6000GB bandwidth each month and would like to see options for CLOUD based services which deliver content via global CDN.

What experiences have you had like this? Who would you recommend?
    What are your expectations for the number of CDN locations?
    Kevin

Doesn't have to be huge.

Amazon has a range of cloud/cdn web solutions, but they might be pricey.
    http://aws.amazon.com/

SimpleCDN has a great CDN, but no cloud computing.
    http://www.simplecdn.com

Softlayer and layeredtech both offer cloud computing and CDN solutions last time I checked.

http://www.layeredtech.com
    http://www.softlayer.com

Take a look at the new VPS.NET CDN, it's through the Highwinds CDN, but MUCH cheaper since they are a wholesaler.

If you're looking for a one stop shop for both cloud services and a CDN, you might consider these:

Amazon has it's own CDN, but it's brand new and not nearly built out as much as those that have been in the business longer.

Softlayer resells Internap's CDN.

Rackspace Cloud resells Limelight's CDN.

If you're just looking for cloud storage, Nirvanix and CDNetworks have a partnership.

Don't you think that a CDN already represents a "cloud"? - in a sense that data is replicated across the CDN's points of presence? As far as I can see, all you need is a good account with a CDN. There is no need for another "cloud" as it doesn't make sense and is not needed.

GM
    Web Hosting and Cloud Hosting in Australia

gm22, it depends on the CDN. Many require an origin server (just about all have that as an option), in which case you need to store that content being pulled by the CDN nodes. Using a so-called "cloud file storage" service allows you to offload that as well and not manage your own origin storage. Some CDNs also offer their own FTP service, but that doesn't mean it's getting pushed out and replicated to every node, as most aren't doing that. The first time an object is requested, it's pulled from the origin (which could either be the customer's or the central storage of the CDN where you FTP your objects), and it will stay in that node for a certain period of time until it's flushed. The more popular the content from the node, the more likely it will remain at that node. Among those mentioned here, the Softlayer/Internap solution seems unique in that they have an option--which obviously costs more money--to store your objects at 21 of the CDN's edge nodes, making it always available. It's $2/GB to do that, so it's quite a bit more money (given you can get "cloud storage", replicated to maybe 2-3 datacenters, for $.15 - .25 per GB).