Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Rackspace E-mail hosting

    I'm looking for e-mail hosting for a few mailboxes. I don't need a huge amount of space, I just don't want limits like Go Daddy's 250 outgoing per day and I need it to be reliable.

    I was looking at rackspace's e-mail hosting and it looks pretty solid. I just can't find anywhere if they have daily limits or anything, does anyone know if they do? The only annoying thing is that they require you to sign up for 10 mailboxes and they have to be all from the same domain. After that, I can add-on one by one from different domains. I don't need 10 boxes for one domain, but I guess at $1/month that's not so bad.

    Does anyone have experience with rackspace e-mail hosting and would you recommend it? Also, what are some other companies I should be look at for this?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    If you have a big budget then go with Rackspace because they are the best. But, I mean a really big budget. Most hosts (that I know of) allow at least 300 emails per hour and unlimited boxes.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Syfonic View Post
    If you have a big budget then go with Rackspace because they are the best. But, I mean a really big budget. Most hosts (that I know of) allow at least 300 emails per hour and unlimited boxes.
    Which other hosts would you recommend for e-mail hosting? Rackspace doesn't seem that expensive (at least for e-mail hosting). $1/mailbox per month doesn't seem too bad. I don't have a huge budget, but I don't mind spending a little extra for a better provider.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by devvoid View Post
    Which other hosts would you recommend for e-mail hosting? Rackspace doesn't seem that expensive (at least for e-mail hosting). $1/mailbox per month doesn't seem too bad. I don't have a huge budget, but I don't mind spending a little extra for a better provider.
    Theoretically, you could go with any reputable host for email. Many providers have reliable MX configurations and provide full backups. The question is whether you're looking for Exchange hosting or normal Linux/UNIX based email hosting?
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    Theoretically, you could go with any reputable host for email. Many providers have reliable MX configurations and provide full backups. The question is whether you're looking for Exchange hosting or normal Linux/UNIX based email hosting?
    I don't need exchange hosting, so a linux/unix mail is just fine.

    Thank you for your help btw, I really appreciate it!

  6. #6
    I am an existing user of Rackspace e-mail, and there are some restrictions. One of these are:
    "You may not use your Mail Service to send Bulk Mail. "Bulk Mail" means email messages of similar content that are sent to more than two hundred and fifty (250) recipients."

    As far as I know there are no restrictions of how many e-mails you may send within an hour, but you might find the terms of acceptable use here.

    The service is great, and so far I've never had any problems.

    I prefer not to use my own servers for e-mail as I run an e-commerce, and I would need 100% (or as close to this) for my e-mail if I should run into any problems. It's a great product, and I would definately recommend them.
    Too different to be awesome.

  7. #7
    Regardless of your hosting company, eventually the IP you are on is going to be tagged for spamming. However, I have heard that Rackspace is crazy about monitoring their outgoing email - so you might see a better read rate with them.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eplebiten View Post
    I am an existing user of Rackspace e-mail, and there are some restrictions. One of these are:
    "You may not use your Mail Service to send Bulk Mail. "Bulk Mail" means email messages of similar content that are sent to more than two hundred and fifty (250) recipients."

    As far as I know there are no restrictions of how many e-mails you may send within an hour, but you might find the terms of acceptable use here.

    The service is great, and so far I've never had any problems.

    I prefer not to use my own servers for e-mail as I run an e-commerce, and I would need 100% (or as close to this) for my e-mail if I should run into any problems. It's a great product, and I would definately recommend them.
    Do you have the regular e-mail hosting with them or exchange?

    If it's the regular hosting, what do you think of their webmail interface? I haven't been able to get a feel for how it is

  9. #9
    I use Linux accounts, but haven't tried Exchange. (Don't need it.)

    The webinterface reminds me of RoundCube. It's simple and "basic". Just what I like. (Simplicity is definately the way to go in my opinion.)

    I used Fusemail earlier, and they have a great product. But my main problem with Fusemail was the interface. I just didn't like it. To me it simply wasn't userfriendly enough.
    Too different to be awesome.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    Most providers will have a resource limit posted in their TOS/AUP for mail send rates. 300/hour is normally around average for most hosts.

    Anyone offering cPanel will have the ability to automatically allow Roundcube. Otherwise, you could signup for a hosting company and install it yourself.

    Best of luck.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Photoshop
    Posts
    382
    We have quite a few Hosted Exchange accounts at Rackspace for our clients and have never had a problem with them.

    When you try exchange you will never EVER want to move back to pop3 / imap again!
    Rob - Creative Director
    Peartree Digital Media Solutions & Peartree Hosting Department.
    Providing a range of services from graphic design and XHTML coding to web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
    My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    What about Google Apps? Free, good interface, IMAP/POP3/Web, 7GB+
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Similar Threads

  1. Rackspace VS 800-hosting .. Please Advice
    By hostingman in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 04:14 AM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 08:15 AM
  4. Rackspace Hosting
    By wlandman in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •