Interesting Rackshak support response

Hello
    We have been trouble shooting a server at Rackshack and it appeared to be a weird Sendmail fault relating to the Ensim mail system.

So, we put a support ticket into RS to see if they had any ideas.
    Here was the response:

Your server has numerous possible problems. Unfortunately, since we are not the authoritative nemaeservers for your system we cannot troubleshoot these problems for you.
    So, because the server host name is resolved via our name servers and not theirs, they would not offer any assistance.

I actually wasnt expecting much help but I thought they might have seen the problem before.

So is this a change to Rackshacks terms and conditions?
    The server host name has to be resolved via their name servers?

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Gordon,

Do you have some more information? What exactly is wrong with your server?

If it is software/DNS related then it is not Rackshacks problem.

Sendmail goes out of control and puts the server up to load 20+ with no mail actually being delivered.

We have got a temp fix but I was surprised at their reasoning for not replying.

I cant see how the server not being on their DNS makes any difference to it.
    Our DNS system is better than theirs anyway.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

Is it getting stuck in any sort of loop e.g. autoresponders stuck etc?
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

Thanks
    I just got an ICQ from one of our guys that its fixed.
    he had to erite a script to restart it gently every 15 mins but at least mail deliver is runnign again.

It appears to be an autoresponder fault though but we are switching these boxes to cpanel over the winter.

Gordon

yah, I too fail to see the relation between your problem and the reply they gave you.

This clearly does not fall under their support and they could just have said so. Why they mumbled something about not being responsible because you run your own nameservers... beats the hell out of me.

My best bet is they did a lousy job at reading your support ticket. They saw the words MAIL and PROBLEM looked at your DNS and said: "whoa, not our fault his mail does not get delivered. He is using his own DNS".

Probably thats it.

Ensim is a resource hog in my experience.
    I get 100 max accounts per server on the same spec boxes i can easily get 200 with Cpanel so the move will not really cost much to do and it will simplify our admin.

Gordon

If your domain name was using the rackshack dns servers they could have checked the mx records to make sure they were set up ok. This is probably the only thing they would have done as well as thats the only support they have to offer. As you wern't using the rackshack dns they could not trouble shoot the problem from their end.

Maybe a little better explaination could have been provided in the email they sent you but basically what they said is true and valid.

If it was a case of checking the MX records thats perfectly possible from anywhere on the internet with any name servers.
    If it were not, then email would not work.

Gordon

Rackshack provides software support only insofar as it pertains to external services they offer. If your sendmail problem was due to a foulup with their DNS, they would fix that. I don't understand why people keep expecting Rackshack to provide software support, when you're getting a very cheap box because they don't provide software support.

Hehehe nice...nice...

Have you try it ensim ? ask than what cold be the error....

I've had this problem before. I had a site having aliases point at other aliases to other aliases. The mail que had 1000s and 1000s of messages waiting to be sent out. I had to delete everything in the folder and kill the aliases. It was on a Ensim server.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail

thats why one would use postfix =]
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters