information on hosting sites

questions to the many more experienced bosses out there

- is it true that most ppl would still choosea male IT service provider over a female? Is the stereotype still lurking around?
    I mean, what century is this?!

- I'm launching a web solution company, for ebusiness engineering, website design, domain name, webhosting, and IT customized programmes
    <THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISMENT>

i felt that since i'm offering these services, my clients should know alittle about me. eg my profile and resume.

But a close frn (who is a web designer) is dead against it. He felt that i should not post my resume and photo on the site... in the name of professionalism.

However, since i hold a Master degree in IS, and ebusiness development is kinda what i'm trained in, and my team of staff is really experienced in what they do, i'm not sure if i should heed that piece of advice.

I went to grad sch in USA... I'm open to the idea of having a female providing me IT services (Well, of course i'm a FEMALE too)

Men out there, will u give me some advices? I just want to be truthful to my clients... i see nothing to hide. but will i violate "profesionalism".

i like to treat everyone my frn... please give me some comments.

BTW i'm from Singapore ... isn't IBM Singapore head by a local FEMALE???
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

Is this even an issue?

No customer has ever informed about my gender before signing up

i'm not sure.. then do u suggest having a small pic of myself (as the founder ) in the site.. It won't make u puke! hahahaaaa

I like doing business at a much more inter-personal level...
    what do u think?
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

pfff, that is a difficult one. Whatever I answer to that will be my personal opinion only. I don't know about the other 4.9999999 billion people out there.

I "think" that if it is a good looking picture you will find the male customers being a lot nicer to you when their site is down then they are to me. This is only the 21st century

Actually, with us, people don't seem to worry either way...I have noticed some subtle differences....Our female clients seem more open and friendly with our female staff members...Also, when it comes to billing, a customer with an outstanding balance is more inclined to pay up immediately when our billing person, Michele, sends an e-mail vs when I send one (even if the text is exactly the same)...this has been an ongoing joke for us. When a client gets behind, we send Michele after them

hmmm that's very interesting, TOm. thanks for sharing
    the problem is really, do companies trust men in IT more than women?
    this is not just web hosting, or website design. It's system analysis, development, implementation, and even training. It's my specialty in grad sch. Personally i have never had anyone reject my work because i'm a female. In fact, i think some guys are very attracted to IT-oriented females

Guess that's one of the reason y my computer animation developer bf hasn't ran away!!!! hekhekhekkkkk

Back to serious stuff. So i guess there's no problem letting ppl know the company is run by a female... eh?

If anyone thinks otherwise, please speak up. Nahhhh we won't say u are a MCP! and we promise not to hurt u....
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

frankly speaking i was surprised that my buddy (from the original post) would have such conception. I mean... we were classmates in grad sch (USA) and have worked together for the past 2 yrs...
    I know he's not bias - or we wouldn't be partners for 2 yrs. but the fact that he grew up in USA, and worries about that... makes ppl wonder, don u think?
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

Host Matters (Annette and Stephanie)
    Future Quest (Deb)
    Affordable Host (Tina)
    Host Caters (Martie)

All have women heading their businesses and all are doing very well. I think for the most part people are well past the 'girls suck at maths' attitude.

While the boys still outnumber the girls 10 or more to 1 here, I've never seen anyone use gender as an issue, whether it's competing hosts or customers.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

thanks, Greg. that's very reassuring.
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

I'd also say that if people really choose to go with another company just because of the gender of the owner, that's a little bit silly.

Then again, I've had several people comment that they were surprised to find that I was female. After all, my personal site talks a lot about Linux and IT issues - so I must be male, correct?

I personally wouldn't put a photo online - too much ammunition for offline stalkers. Listing your experience as relates to running your company can only be a good thing. If people don't want to read it, they don't have to. If they want to, they'll get more proof that you know what you're doing.

Wouldn't matter to me personally. If the person knows what they are doing and does it well, then it is a non-issue. I live and work in a rather culturally diverse part of the country (L.A.) so maybe race and gender don't affect me all that much.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Questions

is it true that most ppl would still choosea male IT service provider over a female? Is the stereotype still lurking around?
    I think it is quite untrue. In fact, for every person who would prefer a male, I believe there is one who would prefer a female-may feel they would be more patient and helpful. Also, don't underestimate the number of female webmasters and potential female clients. In fact, as a female owned business, there are many organizations you could join which would provide additional opportunities to promote your business.
    He felt that i should not post my resume and photo on the site... in the name of professionalism
    I disagree with your friend. I believe providing as much relevant information as possible will only enhance the presentation of your company. Additionally, it will personalize the relationship and make potential clients more comfortable. If you have an impressive resume, use it-not as a resume, but in a background section. Even more important in this industry with all the persons opening up with no experience. Would most businesses prefer to deal with an experienced and trained professional such as you, with an unknown person, or with a 15 year old still going to high school.

Also, just crossed my mind, when I think of female hosts, I immediately think of the same four companies Greg mentioned-all quite professionally run. I can not think of a single one of the scams we've seen run by a female.

By resume, I'm assuming you meant a brief paragraph about your qualifications, not a full-on resume in the traditional sense. Maybe that is what your friend is talking about?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

nah not the traditional full-on resume. even i get sick of reading it myself! hahahaa. yea guess i'll talk alittle about myself, and my staff in the About Us?

BTW, not to side-track, but did anyone try the PayPal extension for Dreamweaver (WA e-cart)? I could get the buttons and stuff on, but they don't work. Or i'm suppose to actually upload to the real site before it will work? Don't they allow tests?!?!
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]

hmmm i started a new thread on the paypal issue...

those interested, please repy to thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=88177

thanks.
    newZ Pixels
    [email protected]