Which Control Panel software?

Hi guys.

I have purchased two dedicated servers - both located in the UK. Unfortunately the standard Control Panel software that came with the Dedicated boxes is very poor compared to Plesk/CPanel, which is the two I prefer.

I am looking at installing Plesk or cPanel but cannot decide which is best.

I have a WHMCS license which will work with cPanel and Plesk, I intend to re-sell UK hosting.

I would appreciate it if you guys (and girls, of course) could offer some advice on which combination is the better of the two to use - Plesk with WHMCS, cPanel wirh WHMCS or a completely different package.

Furthermore, I would be interested to hear about low-cost prices for Plesk and cPanel (or whichever software you recommend) licenses.

Many thanks,
    Grant

cPanel + WHMCS hands down.

I much prefer DirectAdmin and WHMCS. I think cPanel is designed for those wanna-be system admins who can't use the command line. It holds your hand for everything and because of this, it's more resource intensive and doesn't play well with custom configs. Plus, if you're doing everything through the WHM interface, you won't know what to do if WHM goes down and all you have is ssh to access your server.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Cpanel + WHMCS would be my pick. It's simply easier to use and manage than Plesk. You can pick up Cpanel external license for less than $40 per month. As for Plesk, you need to get it directly via Parallels.

Hi,

There are 2 leaders in the control panel. For Linux you should go for Cpanel/WHM and for windows you should go for Plesk.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
    Hi guys.

I have purchased two dedicated servers - both located in the UK. Unfortunately the standard Control Panel software that came with the Dedicated boxes is very poor compared to Plesk/CPanel, which is the two I prefer.
    May i know which standard Control panel software came with the dedicated boxes?

Yes, if you are using linux then I would says better go with Cpanel as its most popular and easier and WHMCS as it has more features than any other billing software.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

I prefer cPanel + WHM. I feel its much easier to use - pretty much if you can read you can use cPanel and WHM
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    pretty much if you can read you can use cPanel and WHM
    this is pretty much the point where my concerns start

DirectAdmins cheap and light, cPanel and WHM have to be the best,
    Oh and WHMCS is the best billing software hands down.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    I much prefer DirectAdmin and WHMCS. I think cPanel is designed for those wanna-be system admins who can't use the command line. It holds your hand for everything and because of this, it's more resource intensive and doesn't play well with custom configs. Plus, if you're doing everything through the WHM interface, you won't know what to do if WHM goes down and all you have is ssh to access your server.
    In a way this is true, however, since cPanel 11 there has been quite a bit of improvements to supporting custom configurations if absolutely needing to, especially in regards to apache/php.

It's not resource intensive, especially for VPS servers now with the VPS optimized. You can also optionally run everything you need to via SSH with cPanel's /scripts directory.

Another vote for cPanel, paired with WHMCS you've got yourself a winning combo

Yes, you can do things with ssh for cpanel, but how many cpanel admin's actually do? Most are not that experienced with system admin stuff and choose to use the interface in cpanel rather than learn how to do it via cli.

But cpanel still uses up more resources than DA. First of all for every add-on domain, it creates an ftp account, a sub public_html folder within main folder (I know this can be changed, but few do it), and treats it not only as an add-on domain, but also as a sub-domain creating a lot of extra stuff that is not necessary. cPanel integrates to personally with your server, that if one goes, they both go. DA is just another software piece on the server and it doesn't wrap itself so tightly around the server that they are dependent upon each other like cpanel is.

And quite a few cPanel/whm fanboys (not all but a lot of them) have never used anything else other than cpanel so they promote and promote it without really knowing what else is out there. cPanel has great marketing and has been out their the longest and that which people use first, tends to be what people stick with and love the most.

I would say give other panels a fair chance before you judge them. You'll be quite surprised. And some really great web hosts have and are running successful businesses using DA as the panel: precisioneffect, vectorlevel, and medialayer come to mind.

Hello:

I need an access management approach for a site for a non-profit. Much of the site is run by the developer, but we need to make some pages {and their descendants} accessible to users for their own limited pages.

What we need is to have separate access permission thus:

login #1:**only * ../larry/*
    login #2:**only * ../curley/*

etc...

Access here is "login can sftp [or similar protocol] to upload their new page..." as they won't do any development there.

The host is BSD based; we have shell access and can install whatever we want within sanity. Other parts run on PHP but we're not limited.

Since it's BSD; rssh will not work...

The trouble is: our needs are seemingly way below what everyone in the "control panel business" offers, and the payware ones are priced accordingly. I need a simpler system than I've seen so far.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
    Hi guys.

I am looking at installing Plesk or cPanel but cannot decide which is best.

I have a WHMCS license which will work with cPanel and Plesk, I intend to re-sell UK hosting.

I would appreciate it if you guys (and girls, of course) could offer some advice on which combination is the better of the two to use - Plesk with WHMCS, cPanel wirh WHMCS or a completely different package.

Furthermore, I would be interested to hear about low-cost prices for Plesk and cPanel (or whichever software you recommend) licenses.

Many thanks,
    Grant
    Hello Grant,

Both are great products and been in the industry for very long. Both the product have matured and offers the best features. So you can choose the control panel based on the cost factor.

There is another great product called DirectAdmin. Its cheaper than Cpanel. Let me list my choices,
    For Linux - Cpanel/Directadmin
    For Windows - Plesk
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Two decade in Web Hosting Industry

I'd go with cPanel

Quote Originally Posted by connorjackson View Post
    DirectAdmins cheap and light, cPanel and WHM have to be the best,
    Oh and WHMCS is the best billing software hands down.
    I also prefer DirectAdmin over all the other control panels

What's there not to prefer!

I'll give another thumbs up to DirectAdmin. They are constantly adding features and their support team is very responsive. We have used them since sometime in 2004 and they have a come a long ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    May i know which standard Control panel software came with the dedicated boxes?
    Sorry, it's not a commercially available piece of software - I think it's a custom made job by the server company.

I think I have two choices, as this is a Linux box, either DirectAdmin or cPanel.

DirectAdmin seems pretty good, especially in terms of cost.

I am looking for someone who can effectively wipe the standard server software off (root and shell access is available for this), then to install DirectAdmin. If you are capable of this, please contact me.

With the GBP (£) doing well (ish!) against the Dollar (US) at the moment, it seems a steal at only $299 for a lifetime license.

Many thanks for the clear advice guys 'n' girls - much appreciated.