Thumbs up [Reviews] Leaseweb, Hetzner and Rapidswitch

LEASEWEB

We use them since 2004. Their support isn't the fastest but they improved lately. Their prices are fair and their network is very stable. What I like most is that they peer with the major internet exchanges in many european countries. Few years ago we had a hard disk crash which they replace in the next day, but this delay didn't effect us much as we have always a stand-by server loaded with the backups for the other servers which we can use when a server has technical uses. Their sales are not very flexible and charge a lot when you want upgrades. We haven't order new servers from them recently because they don't offer the automation that other datacenters offer (linux rescue system, KVM when you ask).

Support: 8/10
    Sales: 7/10
    Billing: 10/10
    Network: 10/10
    Price: 9/10

HETZNER

We use them since 2008. Couldn't say much for their support, we had a hard disk crash with them too and they replace it within 1-2 hours and server was fully working again in 4 hours after we complete restoring the backups. They provide support free of charge from 5am to 11pm and if you need them all the other hours they charge you (not sure how much they charge). I can't say much about their sales neither, but the few times I contact them their replies were friendly and up to the point. We pay them using a credit card and I believe this is their only weak point as they don't accept paypal and charge you when they want automatically, no option to pay on your own a specific day. They have great automation, which helps us restart the new server in linux rescue distro and then install our custom freebsd image. Also they provide KVM free of charge when you ask it.

Support: 10/10
    Sales: 10/10
    Billing: 7/10
    Price: 10/10

RAPIDSWITCH

We use them the last 2 months and we currently have only 1 server with them. Their network is stable and we had 40 minutes of planned downtime to add a 2nd router on their location for redundancy. I found their support very fast when I ask them for KVM (1 session free per month). Also they provide 1 free session for linux rescue system per month. Their sales are friendly and want to work with you. For example 2 days ago I ask them to order a 2nd similar server with the 1st one, and because they didn't have it available they offer another bigger server with reasonable price. Their billing is ok. They don't support paypal but you can pay by credit card when you want or configure it to pay automatically 5 days before your contract expires.

Billing: 8/10
    Price: 9/10

OVERALL

Overall they are all good companies with stable and fast network and reasonable prices. I hope they will improve in the next years so my next review will give them 10/10 on everything :-)

Thanks for the multiple reviews mate. I really appreciate the precise nature of the reviews given. Expecting more reviews like this in future also.

Only one question. Is KVM in Hetzner for free for everyone, or just an exception for you, because in their website, there is price for that service?
    Thank you for your review!

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Thanks for the multiple reviews mate. I really appreciate the precise nature of the reviews given. Expecting more reviews like this in future also.
    I don't expect many changes for these companies on the near feature so I plan to update my review in 1 - 2 years from now. The only change I expect is LeaseWeb add more automation, as they are behind from competition regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolayM View Post
    Only one question. Is KVM in Hetzner for free for everyone, or just an exception for you, because in their website, there is price for that service?
    Thank you for your review!
    I ask them 2 times to connect KVM on servers and it was free of charge. Of course you can't expect them to give it for free for many hours. They charge it only if you want to keep in 24/7 connected on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post

HETZNER

We use them since 2008. Couldn't say much for their support, we had a hard disk crash with them too and they replace it within 1-2 hours and server was fully working again in 4 hours after we complete restoring the backups. They provide support free of charge from 5am to 11pm and if you need them all the other hours they charge you (not sure how much they charge). I can't say much about their sales neither, but the few times I contact them their replies were friendly and up to the point. We pay them using a credit card and I believe this is their only weak point as they don't accept paypal and charge you when they want automatically, no option to pay on your own a specific day. They have great automation, which helps us restart the new server in linux rescue distro and then install our custom freebsd image. Also they provide KVM free of charge when you ask it.

Billing: 7/10
    Price: 10/10
    That sucks, only 5a->11p support. Also do they charge you like 15 days into your billing cycle, then the next time like 18 days into your billing cycle or something?

After 11pm is possible to get support but you have to pay. The same with leaseweb which support is 9am to 5pm and after this if you need something ASAP and you don't have SLA you have to pay.

They totally charge me 2 times per month, some servers near 1st and some near 15th but my bank account shows the charges in different days. I always prefer to pay using paypal or at least by credit card but when I want, of course before the expiration day.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    I don't expect many changes for these companies on the near feature so I plan to update my review in 1 - 2 years from now. The only change I expect is LeaseWeb add more automation, as they are behind from competition regarding this.
    Your confidence on your providers is great. I hope they will keep the standards over the years ahead.

Only problem with hetzner is that they want you to give cancelation notice like 2 months before.

I believe it's 1 month.

My friend who has a server tried to cancel it on June 16th and they said they can cancel it on August 30 or something like that, I do not remember the exact date for cancelation but he said it was after August 16th.

Also that they advertise as unmetered, but limit servers to 10Mbps after 2TB usage I'm sure Trading Standards would love to meet them if they were in the UK.
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    Also that they advertise as unmetered, but limit servers to 10Mbps after 2TB usage I'm sure Trading Standards would love to meet them if they were in the UK.
    Whether it's 10mbps, 100mbps or 1Gbps, you could never have "unlimited" - the port speed will always have a "hard" limit on how much you can physically push down that link in any month

So, I don't really think it's a problem
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

I think that's different.
    If you advertise unmetered on a 100mbit, they should clearly say that they are capping to 10mbit after 2 TB. That has nothing to do with hard limits or whatever.

Either way, thanks a lot for your reviews.. I'm also a customer of leaseweb and am happy there.
    I've looked at hetzner also, but I'm too lazy to switch all my files over there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    They advertise unmetered and the traffic is unmetered. You are referring about the port speed which Hetzner clearly says in advance you must pay a fee to keep the 100Mbps over 2TB data transfer usage.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Today, I ask for a new dedicated ip from LeaseWeb, after business hours, and their first reply was after 40 minutes and after I replied them back they sent me the new IP in 25 minutes. So not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    They advertise unmetered and the traffic is unmetered. You are referring about the port speed which Hetzner clearly says in advance you must pay a fee to keep the 100Mbps over 2TB data transfer usage.
    Doesnt unmetered and taking action after a metered amount of traffic contradict?