Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185

    Question Repairing the Damage caused by Scams - Alpha and Master Reseller

    Hello All,
    DISCLAIMER : Please do not waste everyones time with your specific opinions on Master and Alpha Reseller Hosting, This is not the thread for that. Please read the post in full before comenting.
    Sorry for the Above Disclaimer, but it is needed to keep this thread on topic.

    Let me start at the beginning. I started offering Master and Alpha Reseller hosting about 6 months ago in small batches. I currently have a small number of Master Resellers and and 2 Alpha Resellers. They seem to be enjoying the service, so I attempted to grow on this nitche. This targets those who are either not ready for a server or VPS and those who do not know how to manage a sever or VPS.

    Now onto the fun part, lately I have been getting several people sending me messages on my contact page saying that I am a scam and only sham and fly-by-night companies are dumb enough to offer Alpha Reseller Hosting. In truth I am not a scam and am in good standings with all of my customers.

    I do know that there are hundreds of scams out there that sold Unlimited Alpha Reseller Accounts on badly overloaded servers. This has tarnished those companies who offer wholesome and legit Alpha and Master Reseller Accounts. The scam comapnies have turned the word "Alpha Reseller" into a 4 letter word.

    Now onto my question - What is the best way to undo the damage that was caused by these scams. I want to restore the value that remains in the term "Alpha Reseller" by any means possible. What is the best way to say "I'm Different".

    I also know that there are several hosts who think the Master and Alpha Reseller concept should be taken out back and shot. I need to disagree, however I would not mind seeing and end to "Super Alpha Master Reseller".
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    1,622
    It's not guns that kill people. It's people that kill people.

    What I think is happening is you're looking at an industry where some customers are killing others and you're trying to say, "hey, we didn't kill those who died... we just sold a service and made some money."

    What is the best way to undo the damage that was caused by these scams. I want to restore the value that remains in the term "Alpha Reseller" by any means possible. What is the best way to say "I'm Different".

    The best way to say you're different is to be different... and I'm not really seeing that.

    What concerned me was one of your statements, "targets those who are either not ready for a server or VPS and those who do not know how to manage a sever or VPS". I think that's a big part of your problem.
    If you give a moron a gun and they kill someone are you really surprised?

    Just like you presumably wouldn't sell a gun to someone who clearly doesn't know how to properly use that tool.. I think you shouldn't target someone who clearly doesn't know how to properly use what you're selling.

    I think it holds true for many industries... the people who are in it will readily say that it's a wonderful industry, has the potential for great money... but don't get in it for the money... get in it for the passion of the craft.

    Too many customers get lured in by the promise of great money, and the ease of entry through things like reseller accounts... but having no passion, business sense, technical experience, etc... end up making bad decisions which just hurts the industry.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Photoshop
    Posts
    382
    Could always give it a different package name... Instead of master-reseller or alpha reseller (which in all honesty is a name crying out to be abused) why not sommet like a Hybrid Reseller Account and just use the software?
    Rob - Creative Director
    Peartree Digital Media Solutions & Peartree Hosting Department.
    Providing a range of services from graphic design and XHTML coding to web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
    My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    948
    @Rob Great Idea
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    It's not guns that kill people. It's people that kill people.

    What I think is happening is you're looking at an industry where some customers are killing others and you're trying to say, "hey, we didn't kill those who died... we just sold a service and made some money."

    What is the best way to undo the damage that was caused by these scams. I want to restore the value that remains in the term "Alpha Reseller" by any means possible. What is the best way to say "I'm Different".

    The best way to say you're different is to be different... and I'm not really seeing that.

    What concerned me was one of your statements, "targets those who are either not ready for a server or VPS and those who do not know how to manage a sever or VPS". I think that's a big part of your problem.
    If you give a moron a gun and they kill someone are you really surprised?

    Just like you presumably wouldn't sell a gun to someone who clearly doesn't know how to properly use that tool.. I think you shouldn't target someone who clearly doesn't know how to properly use what you're selling.

    I think it holds true for many industries... the people who are in it will readily say that it's a wonderful industry, has the potential for great money... but don't get in it for the money... get in it for the passion of the craft.

    Too many customers get lured in by the promise of great money, and the ease of entry through things like reseller accounts... but having no passion, business sense, technical experience, etc... end up making bad decisions which just hurts the industry.
    I understand your point. As a side joke, guns shouldnt be sold to Kids

    In truth, comparing Web Hosting to a Gun is a bit extreme. I have only heard of 1 host die over hosting.

    What I ultimately intended in regards to the VPS comment is that resellers should be focused on running their business. The overall server management should be done by the main host. This is the beauty of being a reseller.

    I will also be the biggest advocate in saying that hosting takes time and dedication. It is not easy money. I will never claim to be "selling money". Reseller Hosting in general can be a powerful tool to make money if properly managed by the reseller.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Could always give it a different package name... Instead of master-reseller or alpha reseller (which in all honesty is a name crying out to be abused) why not sommet like a Hybrid Reseller Account and just use the software?
    Wow, that is genius, so genius that it may be the solution. Just scrap the name but keep the concept. I may give this a try.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    1,622
    Renaming the concept could be helpful, but I'm a bit skeptical about that... (if it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd...)

    Even if you name it something like "outsourced managed hosting" (which has it's own problems because of the word "outsourced"... I think what you would want to focus on is what you do for your customers... and what your customers needs to do for themselves.

    Far too frequently being a reseller means you cash the checks and refer everything else to the upstream provider. In that situation, I'm not convinced there's a significant benefit for the upstream. Part of my understanding of the reselling concept was that the benefit for the upstream was that they don't have to be the front line sales and technical support, and for that trade-off they offer a discount on services to a reseller. What I've seen happen is that the upstream providers are still the front line sales and technical support and are offering massive discounts to a reseller... I just don't quite see why. If you're (the upstream) going to do most of the work... why give most of the profit away to the reseller. (Ok, this is becoming too much a general rant of mine against reselling :p )

    Again, I'd possibly consider more clearly hashing out each others role... the benefits for the upstream provider, the benefits for the reseller... and who is responsible for what.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    I would be more concerned about finding a viable way to implement such a feature, as opposed to its naming. For now, there is no viable way to implement anything like Master Alpha Reseller (or whatever you want to call them) reseller accounts.

    No average server has enough resources to sustain client's using such a service. Maybe in the future, but not now.

    It would be best to just give up on it for now.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    I would be more concerned about finding a viable way to implement such a feature, as opposed to its naming. For now, there is no viable way to implement anything like Master Alpha Reseller (or whatever you want to call them) reseller accounts.

    No average server has enough resources to sustain client's using such a service. Maybe in the future, but not now.

    It would be best to just give up on it for now.
    I have already found and implemented a viable way. I am not ever going to give up or else I would be joining the ranks of all of the other fly-by-night hosts
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    I have already found and implemented a viable way. I am not ever going to give up or else I would be joining the ranks of all of the other fly-by-night hosts
    Glad to hear that. I am rooting for ya

    I didn't mean give up hosting in general, just on the particular idea.

    Regardless, good luck man
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Similar Threads

  1. MinTyro - Cheap Cpanel, WHM, Master Reseller, Alpha Master Reseller
    By shuga808 in forum Reseller Hosting Offers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 05:28 AM
  2. Looking for Alpha Master Reseller
    By bgsebiosjr in forum Reseller Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 05:32 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
  4. Power Outage caused damage and downtime
    By davidkm in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
  5. Alpha Master Reseller
    By lEduardo in forum Programming Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •