Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a shared hosting plan

My budget is 10$ / months ... don't need anything except 50 giga space and wide bandwidth limit ..

I am planning to make a download center with sound files of my production ( maximum 50 mega / file ) ...

Most of shared hosting providers just don't accept using their servers for file storage and download ...

Really tired since I've been searching for 2 weeks and found only dotster who allows but their reviews are not convenient for me

Most overselling hosts do not allow this type of storage, but i would assume non overselling hosts do not have a problem with storage or file downloads ; as long it is within the limits of a shared hosting package (your millage my differ from host to host).

Now you have to understand that what you are asking 50GB (with a wide bandiwdth limit ??) for only $10 is forcing you to the more overselling hosts.

I wish you luck with finding the host for your needs; but i would advise you to review your budget.

You're going to have to increase your budget for something like this, along with going for something more than shared hosting. Shared hosting generally do not allow download sites, along with not being able to provide 50GB of space . . .

The "unlimited" providers generally disallow things like this too.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Quote Originally Posted by SamCD View Post
    You're going to have to increase your budget for something like this, along with going for something more than shared hosting. Shared hosting generally do not allow download sites, along with not being able to provide 50GB of space . . .

The "unlimited" providers generally disallow things like this too.
    So would a "limited" host that does not offer 50gb! So you actually have a better chance with the unlimited host.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Sorry, I put that in the first part of the post, didn't meant to be confusing.

"unlimited" hosts won't let you use their space and bandwidth for downloads, their ToS usually limit to just site / related files. Nothing for massive downloads. A limited shared host, would be more likely to allow it, but not at the quantities that the OP wants.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Aside from the price/needs of the OP;

I think that non-overselling host should not mind their space to be used by a customer either for files to download or as backup, otherwise what is the point of not being an overseller, the space is reserved for the customer only.

Another thing would be if this site would be for heavy usage which brings the problem down to resources; even though a non oversold host likely gives better resource usage; it is still shared.

To make a download center, you should look for VPS or dedicated Server. Wish you all the best in getting suitable hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Shofolofo View Post
    don't need anything except 50 giga space and wide bandwidth limit ..
    anything ?! you should increase your budge and think on Reseller Plan or VPS, $10/mo is very low for 50GB Disk Space...

Ya the price for the quality your wanting is a little bit low, but not neccessaraly, check out the offers forum etc, Best of luck~!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

ok .. I can lower it to 30 giga byte and increase the money limit one or two bucks

lol

I can't go for VPs or Dedicated for financial/benefit reasons

----

checked offers forums ... most of them don't allow download center
    Last edited by Shofolofo; 07-24-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tnnhost View Post
    To make a download center, you should look for VPS or dedicated Server. Wish you all the best in getting suitable hosting
    Yeah... or they could go with a shared hosting provider that doesn't prevent you from using what they actually sell you.

ok .. I can lower it to 30 giga byte and increase the money limit one or two bucks

lol
    30gb for $12/month - you can probably find that if you look hard enough.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I do ... I asked all of them in support if they allow download center and they said no

I have heard a lot of good reviews about GeekStorage. I checked their prices and they seem to be in your range.

That budget is too small especially when you will be using your account for download.

yes .. I noticed

It's going to be tough for you to find a provider that can offer you the resources that you need with the budget that you have. Just make sure you don't get fooled by a provider insisting that they're able to offer you that amount of space for a low price. Always do your background research first

the bandwidth I need would be about 500 - 800 giga / month

I've just spent the last two weeks hunting for a provider, and looked at 150-200 hosts. I can honestly say, from everything I have seen, you'll very likely need to make a choice.

You can choose to reduce your requirements to fit what packages are mostly available in that price range, or you could raise your budget to find a wider variety of hosts, or you can take your chances with the hosts that will give you what you need at the price you want, but don't necessarily have the greatest of reviews.

There may be a gem out there hiding that I didn't find as I can't claim to have looked at every host in the world, but you are right, most of them have rules against download only type sites, and those that don't, want more money.

the bandwidth I need would be about 500 - 800 giga / month
    That is absolutely impossible considering your budget unless you managed to receive the specs an overselling host advertises. But then again, they all have restrictions on content delivery, so I suggest you up your budget, or go with one of the file hosting services such as Rapidshare, Megaupload and so forth.

Simple forget these requirement for now and search for the cheapest dedicated server you can find; and learn some server administration and you might be able to pull it off for a very low budget. You ask to drive a Ferrari for the price of the smallest secondhand car you can get your hands on, and still want to drive 300Km/h without feeling a bumb.

Shofolofo,

Check JaguarPC they can offered you Semi-Dedicated Plan over Euqal Share CPU and allow you to use it for Download.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Simple forget these requirement for now and search for the cheapest dedicated server you can find; and learn some server administration and you might be able to pull it off for a very low budget. You ask to drive a Ferrari for the price of the smallest secondhand car you can get your hands on, and still want to drive 300Km/h without feeling a bumb.
    Lol .. I already have unmanaged dedicated server but don't want to jeopardize it's resources as I am already using it with a big forum already

Quote Originally Posted by Virtahost View Post
    Shofolofo,

Check JaguarPC they can offered you Semi-Dedicated Plan over Euqal Share CPU and allow you to use it for Download.

But you alerady signed up at yahoo, yes?

No .. have dotster and yahoo as candidates only

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast