Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Uptime Reporting or no?

Hey All,

I wanted to get some opinions, We are a web monitoring company, one question that has had me puzzled is, how many people would like to show their uptime from a reported 3rd party monitoring platform? I know of a few people that do use it to build up value in their service by showing that they have a very reliable service.. but who would be opposed to it, and why? Only thing that really comes to mind is that you would want to hide downtime. Any thoughts?

Tampa, FL
    you should offer it as a configurable service that you can toggle on and off so the user can pick the option to display it...
    Dave Parish

EU - east side
    I suppose that with numbers, a couple of servers having a bad monthly or even over all uptime, becomes a real possibility. Human nature is to put more weight on negative information, so customers could be deterred from signing up. They might choose the 10-servers-perfect-record-host over the 100-servers-with-2-jinxed-servers host.

Langley, BC
    I would think end users would be more interested in uptime monitoring. Web hosts can monitor their own uptime internally.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | | NowOpenOnline.Com

Most uptime monitoring services already offer it.

And it really depends on whether I would stick it up on my site.

In my opinion, customers will only focus on the negatives like a previous poster said.

If you have 4 servers listed with 99.99% uptime
    and 1 server that has been online for only a month that went down for 24 hours, it will really reflect in the uptime report.

Most of the times, the uptime reports don't show the full story - and unless you have immaculate uptime it will only reflect negatively on the host.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.