Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QuillHost VPS service being closed

Hello,
    I have received the following email today:

As ou may know, we have been offering VPS services since November 2008 and some of you have been with us ever since we started playing in this arena. It's been a great journey providing affordable services to all of the clients. You may agree to me here as the service is not the same as it was two months earlier. Due to lack of time, however, I have asked a total of 2 people to assist with support issues(which was just 1 earlier). Not to mention, they've not lived upto my expectations. I have been receiving a large number of complaints about slow responses/lack of support etc. As such I have decided to close all VPS operations based out of Kansas City(69.197.x.x and 209.x.x.x) and Chicago(38.x.x.x) from 1 August 2009. While this may not be a good news for those who are being affected, however, we've been working to improve the infrastructure at St. Louis(206.225.x.x). Please do note that we are not closing the St. Lo uis operations as they're on a better infrastructure and will now be backed by a new support team of 3 people(and it's also because there are nominal people compared to other facilities).
    We advise you to take backup of all your data and transfer the VPS within next 7 days as servers may be taken offline on date above. I can have them online until 3 August, but not more.
    There will also be improvements and enhancements to our services within next couple of weeks. Live Chat, which has been taken offline a while ago, will be back online next month. We're setting up a blog and a forum which will be online by 15 August and will serve as a platform for clients to meet with others. As mentioned earlier in this email, the support will show a huge, huge improvement as we've got few people aboard to assist you which will be here by August. This will be focused on dedicated servers, Shared & Reseller services and VPS services being offered.
    One of the question you may ask is why did not we transfer the operations to any other business. The answer is, we could not find a provide trustable enough to hand over your valuable businesses and websites. As such, we're offering all clients a choice to choose their service provider. If you are interested in singing up for service at St. Louis facility, the link is [link] We'll move your VPS at no cost if you choose to signup.
    It is also important to mention that the above VPS will be available to very few customers as the above link will automatically disable as soon as we've a few orders. We are not taking orders more than what we are able to handle effectively along with providing support to the customers.
    In summary, the VPS services at Kansas City and Chicago are being closed(We do not offer VPS at Washington, Charlotte) while we've limited the number of singups at St. Louis to ensure we can provide the quality service from now which we have been offering until recent issues.
    Thank you for your patience and being with us all the time since our inception.

I am now trying to build a game plan of how to move my VPS.
    Can anyone please assist on how to migrate the VPS to a new provider with minimum manual work?

Thanks!

are you using hypervm/openvz?
    Waveweb Technologies
    http://www.waveweb.com
    Customer Service Guarantee

Xen and HyperVM, but their HyperVM console is down.

Hi,

yes due to the security issue at hypervm, having it shutdown it the best option

any provider can move your vps very fast, unless you are using some specific configurations only available at XEN, are you?

are you using any control panel?
    Waveweb Technologies

I'm not using any specific Xen features.
    I installed webmin, but its not being used too much.

How will such a move happen ? will the provider pull an image, files out of my original server?

Hi,

yes the provider will just move your files, the move will depend on the size of the files, for example 1GB will be very easy and fast, if your using 50GB it can take some time, since depends on the original server speed and the new server
    Waveweb Technologies

A classic example of what 512MB of RAM for $5 can get you these days.

@prunus: Most VPS hosts might be willing to transfer your data to them for you, completely eliminating any work on your end.
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Email Hosting
    Dedicated Servers / Unmetered Servers / Linux & Windows VPS
    DME Hosting, LLC [http://www.dmehosting.com]

Actually, it look's like their 512MB of RAM is $26.99
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

INSTANT SETUP! $7.16 for 512 MB - 10% OFF *RAID10 Dual Xeon Servers*
    They are WHT exclusive offers are are NOT listed on our website!!
    Sorry, $7.16

We are not closing out entire VPS service but we're just limiting the locations we offer. Most of the clients who have asked to be moved over to the location which we continue to offer have had their VPS transferred.

This is a horrible horrible service

I, too, got this email 2 days ago. Now I have less than a week to figure out a migration.

I would move to the St. Louis facility, except for:
    1) The new replacement plans are OpenVZ, not Xen.
    2) There still hasn't been a replacement console for HyperVM in all this time.
    3) Despite informing them, they still haven't setup SSL for their customer login site (my.quillhost.com).

That and my service is paid through mid August, and I still have even more credit with them. Wow, what an absolutely horrible way to handle this.

1. We don't have as much capacity for Xen so it wasn't advertised. However, we did a few migrations to St. Louis depending on capacity status.
    2. We're integrating one into WHMCS directly.
    3. The certificate was already issued almost 8 months ago when we started using my.quillhost.com which wasn't installed. This one should be done soon.
    Last edited by LinuxStandard; 07-25-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prunus View Post
    Xen and HyperVM, but their HyperVM console is down.
    from what i read, HyperVM is being re opened in the Open Source community. The tech\'s at LxLabs will continue to work with HyperVM, Just in the open source community.

Quote Originally Posted by GigaBiteServers View Post
    from what i read, HyperVM is being re opened in the Open Source community. The tech\'s at LxLabs will continue to work with HyperVM, Just in the open source community.
    This is purported to have a 1-2 year time frame. There is only 1 "tech" at LXLabs other than Ligesh himself. Ligesh's cousin is heading up the creation of a Consortium, but he is self-reportedly non-technical. They are just now reviewing applications for Kloxo developers. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Until someone or a company manages HyperVM seriously and made a good reputation out of it for sometime, I would not host my sites and my customers with that software ever again.

What gets my goat is the short whistle - to give 7 days to move all data, sites and setups in the middle of summer, without like for like alternative is just... straw business style. It's desperate, unprofessional. Companies filing for chapter 11 give more notice. 7 days is practically forced eviction. This is my third cowboy VPS outfit in the last 12 months and I'm really getting sick and tired of "dorm room tycoons" playing with their customers like it was game of Sims. Grotesque. Just what I need for holiday...

Good luck in your future endeavors. [ insert your favorite failboat meme picture ]

nexbyte

V0nReagan, I believe they are willing to transfer all of your data for you, which should result in nothing more than an IP update from your end.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxStandard View Post
    We are not closing out entire VPS service but we're just limiting the locations we offer. Most of the clients who have asked to be moved over to the location which we continue to offer have had their VPS transferred.
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Email Hosting
    Dedicated Servers / Unmetered Servers / Linux & Windows VPS
    DME Hosting, LLC [http://www.dmehosting.com]

Quote Originally Posted by nexbyte View Post
    V0nReagan, I believe they are willing to transfer all of your data for you, which should result in nothing more than an IP update from your end.
    You're downplaying the importance of the "like for like". Quillhost is not offering nearly identical or better plans in the new data center for the customers affected. If this was just an easy datacenter migration, then Quillhost would've presented it as much. But that's not what it is, and not what their email describes.

Yep, i'm in the same situation ... i just only have 2 days left because i wasn't around to check my emails until yesterday.

I asked what cost/plans they have for St. Lois and no answer in 12h.

Probably they are busy.

I'll wait for a few more hours and if i don't receive an answer i'll try to find another provider.

The problem: is kinda difficult to find a XEN with the same resources for the same price or close. They had the best offer but seems that with low prices you can't stay in business too long.
    X2 // activeStyle
    ... be active!
    http://x2.activestyle.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by tuxStyle View Post
    Yep, i'm in the same situation ... i just only have 2 days left because i wasn't around to check my emails until yesterday.

I asked what cost/plans they have for St. Lois and no answer in 12h.

Probably they are busy.

I'll wait for a few more hours and if i don't receive an answer i'll try to find another provider.

The problem: is kinda difficult to find a XEN with the same resources for the same price or close. They had the best offer but seems that with low prices you can't stay in business too long.
    You might consider 2Host, which has a $5 512MB XEN plan. It seems like 2Host is a one man operation, and he was away on vacation for close to two weeks. This may become a big problem since there is no panel, meaning you would've been screwed for 2 weeks if you needed a VM restart / reimage.

It doesn't sound too good
    Also, it doesn't have to be 5$ but still ... i can't find 512Mb XEN (like my current Quillhost plan) for a good price.

Only OpenVZ.

Well, i think i'll have to live with OpenVZ and find a new provider as Quillhost didn't answer in 2 days to my ticket where i asked about their new plans.

I found their promo for WHT here but if they can't answer to a non technical ticked in 2 days ...

And i don't understand why because my previous experience with them wasn't bad at all.
    X2 // activeStyle
    ... be active!

FSCKVPS starts at about 10 bucks, and Fivebean is simply awesome, have their own web based hypervisor, and starts at 5 bucks.
    Recommend either enthusiastically.

FSCK offers Xen (more expensive of course) and OpenVZ.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

I know, from what i saw XEN is like 50% more expensive than OpenVZ.
    No idea why.

I know about fsck too but i'm still in doubt after the issues they had last time. I'm still waiting the answer from Quillhost and today is the last day.

Well, my site is personal so, i can live with it being offline for a day or two until i can find somebody else.
    X2 // activeStyle
    ... be active!

Quote Originally Posted by V0nReagan View Post
    What gets my goat is the short whistle - to give 7 days to move all data, sites and setups in the middle of summer, without like for like alternative is just... straw business style. It's desperate, unprofessional. Companies filing for chapter 11 give more notice. 7 days is practically forced eviction. This is my third cowboy VPS outfit in the last 12 months and I'm really getting sick and tired of "dorm room tycoons" playing with their customers like it was game of Sims. Grotesque. Just what I need for holiday...

Good luck in your future endeavors. [ insert your favorite failboat meme picture ]
    If you choose to go with a VPS plan from another provider, usually that provider is willing to transfer all of your data for you free of charge. You will not need to do anything.

That a good piece of information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast