Thread: Sleep

Sleep

is a waste of life. Really! When you sleep, you wake up and it feels like no time has passed... but hours have! You've spent much of your short life unconcious doing nothing. Why? Why? Sleep is unfortunately a necessary evil, but I try to keep it to a minimum. People who say they enjoy sleep very much disturb me. It's like a person saying they're suicidal, that they don't care about their life. hmm...

I like sleep. I am far from suicidal. I enjoy my sleep. My sleep accomplishes more and is more productive than this thread, therfore you must be very suicidal as you must really not care about your life.

Without sleep I don't think the mind would function at its fullest. It's like a computer without a reboot once in a while, the RAM needs to be flushed Sleep is enjoying when you are really tired, but when you are very excited about something, it's difficult to get sleep!
    Kaumil P.

Heck, sleeping used to be a sport for me and my friends.

We'd see who can sleep the longest, my record was 19 hours. And i achieved it because i was awake for 40 hours in a row before.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Ha, I know my cousins can sleep on for hours! They are like bears!
    Kaumil P.

Agreed Sleep is a big waiste of time .

1/3 of our life is spent in sleep !

pretty bloody scary ..

Sleep is highly overrated.

g'night
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Do any of you oversleep?

I know for me, I'm very used to waking up at 6:00AM, so I almost never sleep-in.

sorry, don't get it, doesn't everyone get up at 6.00 am ?
    are there people who don't ?

I'm quite serious

susannad, i only know of one 6:00 in a day..and let me tell you..it aint AM

seriously.

Although I firmly do believe sleep is a waste of time, I think I'll die without it...

I stayed up 'till about 1 last night, and I'm feeling so weak and tired right now...

Originally posted by susannad
    sorry, don't get it, doesn't everyone get up at 6.00 am ?
    are there people who don't ?

I'm quite serious
    In that case you would be quite shocked to find that more than 3/4 of the world population do not wake up at 6am.

That fact was derived from taking into account the waking hours of everyone i know and averaging it out.

Hence, I may not be held liable for false facts.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]

I personally hate sleep, I agree - it's a waste of time. If we could function without it then I'd be extremely happy

My longest sleep time was 22 hours. I'd been up for 50 hours and when I woke up I thought it was the next morning when in fact it was the next evening.

Currently I get between 6-10 hours of sleep per night. I'm slowly readjusting my body clock for a 7:30 wakeup.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Damn sleep

Originally posted by susannad
    sorry, don't get it, doesn't everyone get up at 6.00 am ?]
    No... I get up at 5:00 AM.

But yeah... sleep is highly overrated.
    -Bruce

I just woke up, 3:00PM EST
    Kaumil P.

ugh, i wish i didn't need to sleep, so many thing to be done, but i can't work without sleeping

Sleep is when I get all my serious problemsolving done. I concentrate on whatever issue(s) are giving me the most difficulties before I go to bed, and when I wake up, I either have a solution in mind, or know how to at least get started on one. I need between 6-8 hours a night. More than 10 without some mitigating factor (illness, staying awake the night before) and I get logy.

Sleep is when the problemsolving portion of my brain can kick into high gear without distractions like eating, my cats, the rain outside, TV, and having to worry about things like physical coordination. It's kind of like giving your small child a pair of socks to play with so that you can work uninterrupted.

I love sleep. Unfortunately I have to get up at 6:45 AM on the weekdays due to school. Although I do sleep half the time in school. On the weekends I sleep in until 12, or atleast that's the plan. During the summer though, I'd be asleep until 2 in the afternoon. Of course I'd also be awake till 6 in the morning.

The only time I think sleep is *really* bad.... is when I am up real late on the computer, I got to bed, and the wife is already asleep.

I do not like to get up early though... did that for years, I much enjoy getting up when I want to.
    Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Originally posted by net-trend
    Heck, sleeping used to be a sport for me and my friends.

We'd see who can sleep the longest, my record was 19 hours. And i achieved it because i was awake for 40 hours in a row before.
    Now thats a waste of time, no offense.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by LordLardo
    ugh, i wish i didn't need to sleep, so many thing to be done, but i can't work without sleeping
    I was arguing about a week ago, why are their only 24 hours in a day. I mean, their are so many things that need to be done and no time to do it. But if you really think about it... 24 hours should be plenty if you cut that 8 hours of sleep you needed. More free time... More relaxing... and it would be more economical.

Oh well, itís just another thing I would do if I could change the human raise. Make sleeping a sin....
    iPhone 4 HD Wallpapers - High Quality 640x960 iPhone 4 Wallpapers

Sleeping is never a waste of time. I love to sleep.

Originally posted by interactive

None taken. Everyone has their own hobbies, mine's just sleeping. To you it's a waste of time, to me it's leisure time.

Sleeping is my only known cure for a hangover.

I usually get about 3 hours/night, but every week or two, I sleep about 12 hours that night.

It would be nice if I could hit a timer and sleep for X amount of hours, and then wake up refreshed when I need to.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

I was told that meditating for 20 minutes is the equivelent of 4 hours of sleep. One day I'm gonna try meditating for like 40 minutes and just see if I don't sleep at all.

true meditation, the kind that 20 min=4hrs sleep, is hard to do for 5 minutes.

I've been into meditation for almost 20 yrs. Believe me, true meditation for 5 minutes, that allows you to concentrate unbroken, is impossible for several years.

It is great to do, even if you don't get to that point. Great for lots of things.

I've been into meditation for almost 20 yrs. Believe me, true meditation for 5 minutes, that allows you to concentrate unbroken, is impossible for several years.
    What do you think about when you meditate?

I've always been fascinated on the fact of meditating, but I've never tried it.

there are different methods of meditation. Some schools teach non-thinking, where you just let your mind go, and when a thought comes by, you just acknowlege it and pass it by. Some have you concentrate on your breathing or your heartbeat. Some on a nice thought.

I used to help people with guided meditations where they would follow my voice and I would take them on a meditational journey, and then we would discuss what they saw that wasn't part of the meditation. It allows your subconscious to bring up things you haven't allowed it to. Kind of like dream analysis, only a little more controlled.

Usually best to start with your breathing. Then maybe visualizing your breath going in and out of your lungs when u 'master' that, or just need a change. Tough thing is to keep on track. After a few minutes, your mind starts wandering.

You're supposed to clear your mind when meditating and just focus on doing that I guess. I don't know... I was kind of dozing off when the teacher was explaining it all.

Sleep is when the problemsolving portion of my brain can kick into high gear
    too true, too true
    how many times is something difficult to work out and then you sleep and wake up with the answer ?

I get 5 hours sleep most nights, sometime's there's a late night when I'll get 2 or 3 hours only, but I'll catch up within a few days

still wake up at 6.00 a.m. like I have some kind of inbuilt alarm

oversleeping is bad for you I reckon (IMO)

oversleeping more than your body requires for long periods of time (several weeks) has been shown to induce depression, and is also indicative of depression, so it feeds on itself.

Originally posted by skelley1
    oversleeping more than your body requires for long periods of time (several weeks) has been shown to induce depression, and is also indicative of depression, so it feeds on itself.
    Is that a proven fact? Because I oversleep a lot in the past and am never depressed nor have i ever been depressed in my whole life.

I do think that's an interesting view though.

Is that a proven fact? Because I oversleep a lot in the past and am never depressed nor have i ever been depressed in my whole life.

I do think that's an interesting view though.
    Hence the qualification of '...more than your body requires...'

at some points in your life (adolescence, illness, etc) your body requires more sleep time.

It's not a 100% thing all across the board. But yes, it is very common. Doctors have noticed it is a very common trend, but not an absolute (since when is medicine :p).

Sure I think it's a waste but I can't live without it so I don't worry about it.

What I do think about though is how does sleep work? I mean I lay in bed and wait till I fall asleep then the next thing I know it's morning so what goes on during that time cause it feels like 2 minutes when it's really hours...

Another thing is what if we could make ourselves sleep for long periods of time you know, hibernate like bears. Then I bet we could sleep for like a year anf it would feel like no time at all.
    Cory Cone
    www.XstreamHost.com