West Coast USA VPS - Allows IRC.... I'm lost for an option

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

First of all, I've looked in the offers thread for a few weeks now, checking as many posts and providers as I can, and I can never seem to find one that suits my needs.

I'm not after anything special, but finding a provider is prooving to be hard.

I'm wanting a VPS hosted on the West Coast of USA, primarily San Jose/Los Angeles, simply because I'm located in Australia, and this will lower my latency. The other thing is, at the moment, all I want to host on it is my university work portfolio, and use the VPS as an irc bouncer to 3 servers.
    Nothing dodgy related, mainly linux distro servers, so I can be on 24/7 for support.

Finding DCs that allow irc is hard enough, but then finding one on the West Coast is even harder.

I won't need managed, or high end specs, and I'm hoping the price will be reasonable, as like I said, University student, so I'm cheap.

If anyone has found a possible solution, could you please inform me. The hosts I've already tried has either just replied with "No IRC" or ignored my tickets/emails all together.

Thx.

I would also highly recommend www.xygenhosting.com Very nice stable provider, well i can go on forever but this is probably one of very few host's that i would from myself recommend, been with them and still with them, and great company/support. Goodluck let me knwo your final decision!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

I was expecting to be waiting hours, not minutes
    I'm emailing their support now to double check a few things.
    Thank you.

Your very welcome, i do beleive they still have live chat going too, might be of some use to you
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

I don't know if directspace.net allows what you will do on IRC but they have a good network and awesome pricing. I had a colocation server and they were great.

Their terms state:
    "IRC: DirectSpace Networks allows Dedicated Server customers the use of IRC inside the DirectSpace Networks network as long as the use of IRC on a DirectSpace Networks server does not violate any of the other terms of these TOS. As a policy, DirectSpace Networks will not provide vanity IRC reverse DNS records. To enforce this policy DirectSpace Networks does not turn the reverse address of IPs over to the customer. Authority over this information remains with DirectSpace Networks."

Good luck!

admin-caperhosting: Taking a deeper look at XygenHosting, they do not host on the West Coast, their in Dallas and Michigan/Illinois IIRC.

Doughnet: Directspace was my first choice, but they've yet to reply to my emails and tickets from last week, so I'm not 100% on them, if they're not replying to sales inquiries, then I'm hesitant to purchase.
    (My emails were in relation to their TOS for IRC)

If you could settle for Texas, that would expand your options by tenfold.

AquariusADMIN: Yes I know, but its like an extra 10ms... 10ms!! Yeah I know not much, or will be noticable, but considering most of my traffic will be back to .AU, might aswell try my best to reduce this.

Looking at DirectSpace again, their TOS is split for Web Hosting/E-Commerce and Dedicated Servers. Only Dedicated Servers allow IRC, so does a VPS count as a Dedicated for the purpose of the TOS? This was one of the things I emailed them about, never to get a response from.

Even if DirectSpace does allow IRC on a VPS, would you really still consider hosting with a company that doesn't respond to e-mails or tickets in a timely manner?

Quote Originally Posted by tywe View Post
    Even if DirectSpace does allow IRC on a VPS, would you really still consider hosting with a company that doesn't respond to e-mails or tickets in a timely manner?
    My contact to them was via their offline contact means. Hopefully tonight (So their local business times) I can contact and talk to their live support.

IRC is a tough one in general tougher in WC. Do a search for "PROXY" (IRC came up blank for me) in the offers section (most that allow proxies allow IRC).

Hey,

Take2Hosting allow IRC and have DDoS protection (from our experience with them) and so you just need to find a provider who uses their network

Pretty sure ptxl.net is on Awknet.

linode.com has California VPS's

I think so too, I believe Awknet does allow IRC. I did manage to find one host in the West Coast that does allow IRC. Do your own research since i have no experience with them: RapidXen.

Try PTXL.NET they offer VPS for IRC. Great service and pretty reliable. My monitoring of my VPS shows:

2009 Jul 20 1 14 minutes 58 seconds 99.948%
    2009 Jun 30 0 None 100%
    2009 May 31 0 None 100%

Thank you for all the suggestions, they have all been very helpful.
    I've sent some questions off to a few of the hosts, so I'll see what their replies are before I commit to one.

Thank you all once again.

VPSLink = Seattle + budget friendly + IRC friendly
    424 bits were harmed in the making of this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by TDS-chriss View Post
    VPSLink = Seattle + budget friendly + IRC friendly
    Thanks. I've got a spreadsheet made that compares the providers suggested so far, so another one can't help.

Hi,

You may wish to contact a VPS company who uses PacificRack. They allow the use of IRC and other services similar without penalty against TOS/AUP.

K
    Kody R.
    US Datacenter Operations Manager
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth