Thread: shared layer..

shared layer..

after the Vaserv incident i moved to sharedlayer..

but now my vps has been down since 6pm BST last night, a lot of other down time ive had with them.. tbh im begining to think i made some kind of mistake going with them.. i mean this amount of downtime is an awful lot for something they are supposedly "working on"

what kicked this off was they decided to move my VPS node without telling me there would be down time... and now there is some kind of hardware error stopping it being booted up... ive never seen a hardware error take this long to repair.. any they should not have moved me in the first place with out letting me know there was downtime..

since getting a vps with sharedlayer ive almost spent more time down than up..

There is no movement involved with your problem, this was wrong information from our side since we are migrating clients from HyperVM to another panel.

You are on a virtuozzo node which failed due to an error which took some time to troubleshoot.
    This appeared to be a Harddisk error within the raid configuration on the node, and rebuilding raid arrays take time.

There are no other downtimes known on this node other then a slight disruption earlier this month which caused VPS's to get halted.

IMHO, Move back. I never went anywhere. I have multiple VPSs, all running perfectly w/ Vaserv.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Until the downtime and 100% dataloss i did like Vaserv but i just couldnt keep giving my money to a company lost so much,

as For the person replying to this from sharedlayer look at the shear amount of tickets ive had to lodge with the vps being halted my password being changed so i can no longer login. the box getting stuck on "mounted mode" and there for offline it would appear and services failing every 2 seconds. which is more than once...

also the emails ive received from them the last few hours telling me the down time hasnt been that long... even tho ive had an ip monitor checking for me and it has infact been that long so it would appear they also like to call their clients liars...

while in the mean time ive had people i have on that vps complaining to me and i can tell them nothing..

He's down, I'm not. I haven't been down. He has.

FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    He's down, I'm not. I haven't been down. He has.

FWIW.
    yes sorry im down not him

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    IMHO, Move back. I never went anywhere. I have multiple VPSs, all running perfectly w/ Vaserv.
    I second that. I rented a dedicated server from another company (bbtn.us), but I'm still keeping my vps with fsckvps.

Thank you for the support guys and punker101 I regret to hear about the issues you're going through with your new provider. I hope you will resolve the issues quickly and efficiently.

i was looking at vaservs dedicated server range and the prices were very good, im just a little caught up in what to do at the moment.. caught between going vps or dedicated and finding a good cost

Quote Originally Posted by punker101 View Post
    i was looking at vaservs dedicated server range and the prices were very good, im just a little caught up in what to do at the moment.. caught between going vps or dedicated and finding a good cost
    If you have a good budget, go for dedicated server so you have fully control of it.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

And a2b2 is running a promo in the Dedicated section, make a good use of it.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

im still waiting for these monkeys to bring anything online.... thats 18 hours now..

Quote Originally Posted by punker101 View Post
    im still waiting for these monkeys to bring anything online.... thats 18 hours now..
    Wow, that's horrid...are you the only one down, or is the whole node they were moving down?
    I couldn't really tell by their 1 reply...

Have you asked if they can just bring your old VPS (pre move) back up up and reschedule the move after they iron out the problem with your new service?

Sorry. That has to hurt a bit.

it would seem its the whole node...

they have now told me it wasnt a move and is infact a hardware error...

so they dont even know what nodes they are moving!?

now over 24 hours later im still waiting...

ive never had this kind of down time other than when there has been a serious hack.. and at least thats justifiable this just seems to be the fact they cant repair a server..

That sucks. How much data and traffic did you have? Lot's of cpanel accounts, or just straight html/php and databases? Of course, the big question...do you have backups to restore service if you are forced to move?

i had several cpanel accounts on it, only 2 of which were very important one being a studio/radio installation company i do work for and the other for a Maltese singer... they are cracking up at me.. and ive little to tell them. worst thing was id done alot of work on one of the websites just yesterday..

thankfully i do have full cpanel backups made via WHM from monday.. learnt my lession after last time haha but i did do a fair amount of work to one of the sites on the wednesday id like back

well that is it... they have lost all my Data i swear only a mounth there and they manged to loose everything! typical

Ow. They should just come out and say it and not make you wait. I've always thought shared layer was decent...
    But, the wording on their site sends some minor red flags ...
    "Shared layer has been offering...", and some other bad-grammer-ish wording, one of the things I pay close attention to when sizing up a host. Since the domain is registered to a Dallas Tx address, I don't think it's unfamiliarity with the Engish language.

If you are dead set against FSCK, I can suggest 2 other good replacements, whom I have had great success with -
    Fivebean, or Joe's Datacenter.

All are excellent, have fast VPSs, and are very straight forward. Both have CPs for reloads, reboots, etc. All are some of the fastest I've every clocked (including my own).

Thanks mugo,i had read good reviews of Sharedlayer before i signed up thats why i went with them. but it was their managing director responding to most of my emails while it was down and tbh he came across less than professional in his wording of emails..

they have offered a refund however so im taking them up on that.. the price was also very good

Im glad you had a good Experience with Joes, i signed up this morning for a dedicated server from there after reading good reviews. so im just waiting for it to be set up now.. and to transfer my domains and backups onto it

Bad luck with SharedLayer, and all the best with Joe's DC. Read many good reviews on it as well. Looking forward to hear how the dedi performs!

yes im looking forward to getting it all set up.. not least becuse all my sites are offline! haha, just waiting for the email saying its set up