Dedicated Server Setup Checklist

I want to be 100% in charge of my servers due to some issues i'm currently having.

I would like someone to explain what I need to do to setup and host my websites entirely myself.

Obviously Dedicated Server - with cPanel - apache etc...

What about name servers?

If you have to ask these questions it's probably not the best idea to get into an unmanaged server. The best options are either to get a fully managed solution and learn...or get an unmanaged server and hire a seperate server management company to handle things while you learn.

I came here to learn.. I currently am leaving my servers managed by another company, however over time I want to take control and move my servers to a data centre which is up the road from me.

I was hoping that the basics could be illustrated to me so I would understand what I need to do to take complete control.

This is a very broad topic, you will need to spend a lot of time reading and I would recommend a VPS or low spec server for you to spend a lot of time testing what you have learned, definitely don't use your production servers. Having cPanel will make your life much easier as you move towards managing everything yourself, but you will still need to know how to manage the server via the command line for some tasks.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

I currently use cPanel as my clients and myself enjoy the simplicity of it.

Are there any resources where I could bury my head to really get to grips with understanding what I will need.

The nameserver side of things is where i'm clueless. Can I use an external Nameserver?

There is a forum devoted to Tutorials here at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Thankyou

Another good site to learn about Server Management is webhostgear.com and cPanel.net itself where there is a documentation section.

Generally with a dedicated server you can host the DNS wherever you'd like, it is just a matter of finding a DNS hosting service and setting it up per their instructions.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com