hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : How much downtime is too much downtime?

Forum Jump

How much downtime is too much downtime?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

How much downtime is too much downtime?

So I'm always one that gives my hosts the benefit of the doubt, but I was just curious to see from others how much downtime from one host will make you pack up your bags and leave?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Any unplanned downtime is bad downtime, if it occurs and your datacenter doesn't give you an acceptable explanation - I'd start packing up.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Disabled

Interesting, no one has considered the time-frame involved.

For matters under their control, a shared hosting environment should easily provide over 95% each month (that's 36 hrs/month downtime). If they can't do that you've got some incompetents working for you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

I expect a quality shared host to provide around 99.9% average, over a long period - say 6 months or more. In order to do that they'll need to achieve 99.95%-100% most months because very rare problems will occur (perhaps once a year or so) causing several hours of downtime. And I make no allowance for scheduled maintenance in this - it's better to be informed of downtime in advance but in the end the server's either working or it's not.

The hosts that can achieve that sort of uptime tend to be the ones offering more expensive, smaller plans. For a budget plan with generous disk and transfer limits I'd adjust my expectations down to around 99.5% average. And any host who delivers less than 98% over a single month (14 hours downtime) needs a good explanation and a convincing case for why it won't happen again, or I'll be leaving.

Just be careful of fake uptime "guarantees" and worthless SLAs. It really makes no difference what the host claims to offer - proven performance is what matters.

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobic View Post
Just be careful of fake uptime "guarantees" and worthless SLAs. It really makes no difference what the host claims to offer - proven performance is what matters.
I would have to agree with you, however would you stick with a host who actually honors their SLA or uptime guarantee?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

We don't provide an uptime guarantee although our upstreams give us 100% guarantees because lets face it servers will go down at some point or another.

Maintenance is also sommet we have to factor in - like other hosts we do all we can to ensure we don't have to take sites offline. For example our servers operate hot-swap raid, dual nic's etc

Sometimes its not avoidable though but I would say between 30 - 120mins of downtime every few months is acceptable (I have very high standards).

My views and opinions are my own and in no way do they represent the company I work for...

Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantPH View Post
would you stick with a host who actually honors their SLA or uptime guarantee?
A guarantee without an SLA is meaningless (and arguably false advertising). SLAs are almost universally worthless. If you suffer 24 hours downtime in a month and your host (following SLA) gives you $10 credit, will that make you happy to stay?

For me the SLA is irrelevant - the host's explanation of what happened and their plans to prevent it happening again would be the main things that influence the stay / go decision.

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

48 hours in a row is definitely too much.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Warp Speed!

How much downtime have you experienced? Any facility will have down time (unplanned). We've long accepted that failover across facilities must be part of our business continuity plan.

Regards

L- We LOVE helping our clients!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Interesting, no one has considered the time-frame involved.

For matters under their control, a shared hosting environment should easily provide over 95% each month (that's 36 hrs/month downtime). If they can't do that you've got some incompetents working for you
Holy Crap. I think I'd bounce way before 95% uptime lol. Anything under 99.5% in my opinion is totally unacceptable, even for shared hosting.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

If it drops below 99% there is an issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Technical Nutcase

Hello,
Here is my take on Uptime. Everyone must remember that there are different reasons for downtime; planned maintenance, updates, server reboots, unplanned maintance, abuse, DDoS or DataCenter network issues.

A host should do the following
  • ALWAYS inform their customers of planned maintenance, even if it only has a remote chance of client impact. It is best to e-mail all clients at least 48 hours in advanced if known.
  • Have a network news page.
  • Strive for 100% Uptime

Big Brain Global Networks | A Division of Big Brain, LLC

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

In my personal opinion any downtime longer than 12 hours is way too much. A host should try to keep downtime to as little as possible (hopefully 0 hours).