What hosting plan do I need??

Hey all,

Basically I just need to find out what kind of hosting I need and who to get it through. I am leaning on getting a virtual dedicated but have no idea who to get it through. Every time I almost buy a service I research and start reading horrible reviews.

Stats for my site:

Daily Visitors: 16,000+
    Daily Pageviews: 80,000+
    Monthly Bandwidth Usage: 1TB give or take a few hundred GB

I was hosting with godadddy shared and got 503 errors, I then tried their grid hosting and the 503 errors continued.

I am not terribly comfortable switching a site over so a company with good tech support and setup assistance would be needed.

I am assuming virtual dedicated but with who? =/

Hi there,

A VPS is definately a good start, depending on what you are actually hosting, forum, videos etc will depend on how much RAM you will need and what hosting plan you will need.

Solid VPS providers that are known for reliability are knownhost.com and possibly jaguarpc

Best of luck in your search
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

If you don't know linux, then make sure you look at Managed VPS or Managed Dedicated. They will be more expensive, but you don't have to know how to secure and update it yourself.

Other than that, I think you will have to let everyone know what your budget is before anyone could begin to point you in any direction.

For 1TB of transfer per month I would honestly suggest going with a Dedicated Server over a VPS - SoftLayer provides excellent services so I would suggest that you look into them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I would like to spend under $80 a month. I see verio has a special right now for half off linux virtual dedicated servers, starting at $29.99. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PH-Kev View Post
    Hi there,

A VPS is definately a good start, depending on what you are actually hosting, forum, videos etc will depend on how much RAM you will need and what hosting plan you will need.

Solid VPS providers that are known for reliability are knownhost.com and possibly jaguarpc

Best of luck in your search
    It's actually just a content and image site. But there are around 15,000 images total on the site and growing.

You will be hard pressed to find a VPS where you can actually push 1TB of data reliably - at least from my experiences and time in the industry.

You can get a dedicated server from Nocster, Burst, or FDC for fairly cheap that you shouldn't have problems pushing 1tb through on a monthly basis.

This will be something like 50+ page views in a second, VPS with 1Gb of Ram should work here.

What sort of budget do you have? This will have a great impact on your options
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by PoiZster View Post
    Hey all,

Basically I just need to find out what kind of hosting I need and who to get it through. I am leaning on getting a virtual dedicated but have no idea who to get it through. Every time I almost buy a service I research and start reading horrible reviews.

Stats for my site:

Daily Visitors: 16,000+
    Daily Pageviews: 80,000+
    Monthly Bandwidth Usage: 1TB give or take a few hundred GB

I was hosting with godadddy shared and got 503 errors, I then tried their grid hosting and the 503 errors continued.

I am not terribly comfortable switching a site over so a company with good tech support and setup assistance would be needed.

I am assuming virtual dedicated but with who? =/
    What type of website is this ???
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

I'd suggest checking out a reliable VPS provider such as EarthVPS (www.earthvps.com) to handle that kind of data transfer. If you're looking for a cheap dedicated, I saw quite a few Atom servers for rent in the Dedicated Server advertisement forum which offer 2TB transfer.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

@OP - check VPS offers at this forum, choose like 3-4 provides and check their reviews at WHT too.

Good luck!

There are as many opinions as people over there. Just be patient and check out the requirements you have. Then place them into the "FIND A HOST" section and wait. Subscribed web hosting companies will send you their offers directly

If you do go with a VPS, even one that promises to allow 1TB I do ask that you come back here and let us know your experiences after a month - I don't anticipate that you will really be able to push 1TB reliably on a VPS.