Bandwidth for a blog?

I just started a hosting company. I will have three types of hosting plans available. Right now im trying to get the basic plan out the way. What i would like to know is how much disk space and bandwidth should i provide the basic plan, medium plan, advanced plan?

Thanks,
    Sean

You'll get all sorts of weird and wonderful answers, but in reality you need to cover all your costs, your tax and make a reasonable profit margin (otherwise you're a hobbyist host)
    How much are you charging for these plans?
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post
    You'll get all sorts of weird and wonderful answers, but in reality you need to cover all your costs, your tax and make a reasonable profit margin (otherwise you're a hobbyist host)
    How much are you charging for these plans?
    My basic plan will run at $4.95, The medium level will be $6.95, and advanced level will be $9.95. It is part of Host Gators Aluminum plan so i have 24000mb of disk space and 250000mb of bandwidth to work with.

Thanks,
    Sean

It depends on how much are you charging for the plans.
    I would go with:
    Basic plan: 500 MB or 1 GB of disk space and 5 GB of bandwidth
    Medium plan: at least 5GB of disk space and 10GB of bandwidth
    Premium: lots of disk space and bandwidth

I'm not sure if they've enabled "overselling" ... Maybe 1/10 2/30 3/50 respectively ?
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post
    Maybe 1/10 2/30 3/50 respectively ?
    Hmm maybe more disk space, like 1/5/10, because of the price

Quote Originally Posted by hostbite View Post
    It depends on how much are you charging for the plans.
    I would go with:
    Basic plan: 500 MB or 1 GB of disk space and 5 GB of bandwidth
    Medium plan: at least 5GB of disk space and 10GB of bandwidth
    Premium: lots of disk space and bandwidth
    Thanks for the reply on the plans I am getting them made up now. Hopefully ill have the site up and operating by the end of this week ill let you know when its done. By the way i am about to send you a message asking a question.

In reality these are choices you need to make, we could give advice, however, we cannot tell you how to run your business.

You need to put in perspective, your incoming and outgoing expenses, clearly you don't want to spend what you can't afford. Perhaps read some tutorials about starting up a webhosting business and put pieces together.

Don't go leasing everything at once, you don't want to fork out a mint for the first month and have no clients to cover the expenses. You got to stratergise and make sure that what comes in doesn't go out double.

Personally i can't run your business, though i'm sure you will bring up something extravagent!

Sean

What if my prices where $4.95, $5.95, $6.95?

You can get a lot of answers from others. Some may tell you to go for 2GB of space and 8GB of bandwidth, some might tell you 10GB of space and 20GB bandwidth for $4.95 and some will tell you... well, the possibilities are endless!

In the end, it really is up to you how you run your host. No one can tell you how to price your plans and to add what features, etc. Its really up to you - the choices you make no one can change, although you can ask us if we think if its a good or bad choice. But then again, its your host.

However, if I were you, for $4.95 maybe I would offer... 15GB space and 60GB bandwidth. But that's just me. (IMO, that's a pretty good deal for $4.95). But seeing as you are working with limited disk space and bandwidth, how about 5gb of space and 10gb of bandwidth for $4.95?
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

I would go with one plan at a medium price.

I think the thread description needs to be changed, we aern't discussing a blog!

15gb space, you trying to overell the host alrdady? You just said it's up to him to make the choices, and now your recommending to him what you'd do?

Anyways, good luck with it!
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 07-20-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Well yes i would like to know what types of bandwidths are reasonable for a blog?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlieHosting View Post
    Well yes i would like to know what types of bandwidths are reasonable for a blog?
    In your opening thread, there was no mention of a blog! Rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    In your opening thread, there was no mention of a blog! Rofl.
    Well i thought you would get the idea that the prices are for blogs and what bandwidth to offer for the prices of the blog host.

Well i thought you would get the idea that the prices are for blogs and what bandwidth to offer for the prices of the blog host.
    I'm not questioning it, just there isn't enough detail in the thread to determine it being a blog host. I just read you started a hosting company, defines a whole spectrum not just a blog host.

I'm not here to argue. Just stating how i see the post. I posted my input and i'm happy with it ;-) hope to see more of you in the future.

lol ok no worries.

Well i have come with two plans the 3gb disk space and 30gb bandwidth ($4.95) and the 5gb disk space 50gb band width ($6.95) Is that a fair plan. Or should i just stick with one type of plan which is 3gb disk space and 30gb bandwidth which will cost $4.95. I am not sure if i am calculating this right since i am a newbie lol but if i provide this plan does this mean i can only have 8 clients under my resellers pack? Since i only got 24gb disk space and 250gb bandwidth to work with?

Well i have come with two plans the 3gb disk space and 30gb bandwidth ($4.95) and the 5gb disk space 50gb band width ($6.95) Is that a fair plan. Or should i just stick with one type of plan which is 3gb disk space and 30gb bandwidth which will cost $4.95.
    I'm not trying to be offensive - so please don't take my post that way...

Part of running/owning/operating a business is making the decisions (big and small). While it is a good idea to get some informed/educated advice from those that have "been there, done that" in the end what you choose is up to you - and it is your responsibility to do the best to make sure that you made the right decision.

You will get a wide range of answers from people here as there are people in all stages of the hosting business from the hobbyist host to the full-fledged several-hundred-server providers.

I am not sure if i am calculating this right since i am a newbie lol but if i provide this plan does this mean i can only have 8 clients under my resellers pack? Since i only got 24gb disk space and 250gb bandwidth to work with?
    It depends on if your provider has enabled "overselling" or not - you would need to contact your provider and ask them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Did you compared with other hosting companies?

Let's compare two plans here:

500MB disk space/10G Bandwidth at $9.99/m
    and
    5GB of disk space/50Gb bandwidth at $9.99/m.

Speaking purely on blog hosting, what are the chances that a client will use any more than 500MB of disk space for their blogs? I have a couple popular blogs with close to 100 posts on they barely use up 50MB of disk space.

So if you were to offer something more appealing like 5Gb of disk space and 50Gb of bandwidth, the chances are you will not only see a higher conversion, but a comparable resource usage amongst all your customers.

Yes, you might have a few that will use all the 5Gb, however if you average it all together, your average space used per account will probably be no greater than 500MB.

So it a way, it makes more sense to offer more - only because it will increase your conversions without costing you much on your end.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    Let's compare two plans here:

500MB disk space/10G Bandwidth at $9.99/m
    and
    5GB of disk space/50Gb bandwidth at $9.99/m.

Speaking purely on blog hosting, what are the chances that a client will use any more than 500MB of disk space for their blogs? I have a couple popular blogs with close to 100 posts on they barely use up 50MB of disk space.

So if you were to offer something more appealing like 5Gb of disk space and 50Gb of bandwidth, the chances are you will not only see a higher conversion, but a comparable resource usage amongst all your customers.

Yes, you might have a few that will use all the 5Gb, however if you average it all together, your average space used per account will probably be no greater than 500MB.

So it a way, it makes more sense to offer more - only because it will increase your conversions without costing you much on your end.
    Wow thanks so much for your help. That was the most informative answer i have recieved. Thanks.