host for music site - suggestions, please

Hi--

I'm trying to set up a music website. I've designed it in iWeb and have been using godaddy as host. I'm about to tell godaddy to go.....

On the site, I'd like to blog/vlog. That can easily be done with blogger. I can probably just link to blogger from the main site.

However, I would like other features.

I'd like to sell some original compositions online. Sibelius Music is a bit too pricey, IMHO. Perhaps the music can be saved as PDF files and downloaded after payment. I'd like to play audio on the site (midi files, etc.) I teach singing and would like to have audio of warm-up exercises on the website. (That will draw traffic to the site. Ain't I clever?)

Please give me some suggestions for web hosts. Here are my requirements.

(1 - 3 can be done with just blogger & youtube, probably.)
    1) Blog
    2) Show videos (linked from YouTube, etc.)
    3) Some static pages (Welcome, etc.)

4) Visitors can download midi files.
    5) Visitors can listen to midi files.
    6) Visitors can pay for and download pdf files.
    7) Shopping cart, maybe
    8) Amazon associate (can be done with Amazon alone)
    9) It doesn't have to stay in iWeb, but it would be nice.

Thanks for your help.

Do you know how much space you use currently? Or will use in the future? I wouldn't go for one of those unlimited everything hosts. Do you have any Copyrighted music you will be using on your site?

the embedding through youtube, etc. would be fine with most hosts - as for allowing people to downloading your own compositions (I assume you own the copyright to them) then you'd have to ask the individual hosts and see if they'll allow it - not all hosts would allow you to upload music files for download like that (especially ones overselling on space/bandwidth)

If you own the copyright to the music, then I see no reason why any reputable hosting provider would have a problem hosting your website. I don't really understand this part:

Amazon associate (can be done with Amazon alone)

Maybe you can clarify this?

Im sure almost any host would be able to accomodate your needs, as long as the mateerial is owned by you and not copywrited elsewhere, and just give us more details on the space / bandwidth you think you'd need.
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

"Amazon associate (can be done with Amazon alone)

Maybe you can clarify this?"

With a second cup of coffee I can - lol. (Late gig last night.)

Amazon has an associates program. After signing up, Amazon sets up a store front, which is actually a link from your site to Amazon.

____

As far as the music goes, yes, I own the copyrights and have consulted attorneys in the matter. I need expert advice in the technical department.

What sort of budget do you have? Any preference on a control panel?
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I want to keep the budget as low as possible for as long as possible. Any videos can be hosted on YouTube, & link from my site. The sound files could be midi and use much less bandwidth.

The less expensive, the better.

If you are just going to be linking to the videos and such, it sounds like you only have minimal requirements (which is good if you want to minimize your budget). Any other requirements that we should be aware of (ie. control panel)?
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I'm not sure what you mean. Don't all hosts have control panels?

you have probably Cpanel, right? So Godaddy is good for you?

Pardon my ignorance. Cpanel?

I'm on a Mac, if that makes any difference.

I mean Cpanel as control panel on your hosting account.

I don't understand, still.

If you're asking me if I need a host that allows me to set up without a lot of technical expertise, then, yes.

Sounds to me that you are mostly looking for a site that can host the music then, as well as allow links to amazon and youtube.

The bandwidth requirements are likely to be your biggest concern in choosing a host. If you have a general idea of how many hits you will likely get in a month, you can probably estimate your initial bandwidth requirements, which will help you narrow down hosts. Avoid the "unlimited" hosts. Unlimited is never unlimited, there is almost always a clause about "excessive use" in the TOS, so better to choose a host with actual stated limits, so you aren't guessing at what point your site will get shut down for "excessive use".

The second thing to watch for when choosing a host, is a lot of them state in their TOS that they don't allow music files, others state they don't allow mp3s (even legal ones), so before you take one that mentions mp3s, make sure they will allow other file types, like midi, as they likely won't.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask a potential host if you have a question about whether or not they allow a certain file type or to clear up anything that confuses you in their terms of service or acceptable use policies.

LadySDevil--

You're an angel. Great advice. Thanks!

I have no idea how much bandwidth I'll need. It' a new site, so there will be very few visitors at first.

Here's how to make a guess:

I don't have any midi files so I will be guessing, but assuming each of your midi files is 3megs. Say you have 10 of them. If 1 user listened or downloaded each midi file once, then that would be about 30megs of bandwidth for that user. If you had 100 users that month, and each listened or downloaded all 10 files, that would be 3gigs of transfer, just for the midi files.

You should have an idea of how many midi files you want to put up, and what the "average" size of them is. At that point, you just calculate what the total would be for 1 person, and take a guess at the number of hits.

1000 hits using the example above, would site around 30 gigs for the month.

The number of hits to start with will also depend on how much advertising you do for your site and so on, so you can really only guess.

Be sure to check the terms of service for what the policy is for going over your allotted bandwidth. Some will keep the site up, but charge you for the extra bandwidth consumed. Some will prevent access to the site until you upgrade your package. Most will warn you when you get close to your limit so you can take action before you actually go over your allotted bandwidth for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    If you own the copyright to the music, then I see no reason why any reputable hosting provider would have a problem hosting your website.
    Well it depends on how big the files are. I know that if the files are too big and is generating an unusual amount of traffic then some hosting companies (I wont mention names here as they are not my firsthand experiences but only reviews I read from different forums) may limit or disallow the files hosted.
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

I only know, from reading a TON of Terms of Service and Acceptable Use policies, that there are a number of hosts that don't allow mp3s, videos of any kind, or files that are for download. Doesn't seem to matter on the size.

However, the general pattern for the videos and files for download, tend to be the "unlimited" hosts. (Unlimited, unless of course you wish to use it.)

I've seen a lot of hosts that allow the others, but still don't allow mp3s, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't allow midi files, but that's why I mentioned contacting the host to make sure.

The OP may want to check for a host that allows both midi and mp3, especially if hardware synths were used in the creation process. I know my husband has some really nice ones so he mp3's his midis so that people hear what they sound like when he wrote it on his equipment, rather than what they sound like on someone's sound card software synth. (Makes a rather large difference to how they sound too.)

I forgot the name of the company I asked before, but from what I can remember it's something similar to hostmonster/hostgator (so yeah may be unlimited) where they limit the files to some GB (I forgot the exact amount) or they will suspend your site.

I also agree that there are hosts that do not allow mp3 but does allow midi. I think its due to the nature that mp3 and flv, although can be legal, can put a lot of stress to the server because they tend to be big in files, that's why even non-unlimited hosts sometimes have that limitation of disallowing mp3 and flv files
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

Hi

I would recommend for unlimited bandwidth is Host Monster.

Hi

I would recommend for unlimited bandwidth is Host Monster.
    Why, When Unlimited is just a Gimmick.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

It sounds as if my best bet might be to use something like IMEEM to host the music, then link to IMEEM. (As one would do with YouTube.)

There will be hosts that allow music, videos, and even have one click installs for wordpress. However, it does mean hunting for them and reading terms of service. Even if you link to everything, you'll have to read the TOS. I read one just yesterday, that said you weren't allowed to use their shared hosting for the specific purpose of sending people to other sites.

Admittedly, that's the first time I had noticed that clause for any host, but it exists. If you are creating a page, that's basically just links to YouTube for your videos, IMEEM for music, and some other site for your blog, you might fall under that clause as well.

I know it can be really overwhelming, and the choice probably won't be made overnight. However, if you choose well, you won't have to do it again next month, so it's worth the work to get it right the first time.

There are plenty of hosts that allow streaming music, which very likely means their TOS won't frown on other forms of music. Plenty with plans that run from 10g-500gb of monthly bandwidth, giving you space to grow in. It's just a matter of lining them up, reading their policies and contacting them over things that you don't understand or simply confirming that they won't have a problem with what you plan.