How to emulate a VPS environment at home?

Hello all,

I'd like to know how i can emulate a VPS environment at home so i can test some settings/softwares and other related stuff at home, and not mess up my production environment. I only need to run 1 VPS container.

These are the specs of my home pc:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    2GB DDR2 800MHz
    2x 80GB Spare SATA HDD's

I'm hoping to go with CentOS 5.3 and OpenVZ technology to mimick my VPS environment.

If you know any resources that i can use like guides/tutorials it would be great. FYI i ddn't do much of a google search yet, but after gettin a few resources from the experts here, i can get goin on my own.

Thanks all for your kind responses.

Regards.

Gayan, what OS is your home pc running?

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 7, but i have 2 spare 80GB HDDs which i would like to install CentOS 5.3. Also on the Windows i have VMWare installed and already a functioning CentOS x86 VM.

But i'd like to go with a full normal installation with the two 80GB hdd's.

This won't be easily accomplished with a home configuration as you'd need an IP address for the VM as well. Unless you didn't want it connected to the network then you could use OpenVZ. I'd recommend FreeBSD jails or Solaris 10 Zones if it's a situation where you need a virtual machine for test.

Otherwise, you can do this with VMWare/VirtualBox + CentOS + OpenVZ kernel, should be able to assign private IP's. You could setup multiple virtual machines and create a test cluster, of sorts.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

A couple of ways you can do this...if your "home pc" is good for installs of an OS (this is not your every-day workstation), then you can install CentOS 5, and then go through the OpenVZ install steps here -
    http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation

If your home pc is your workstation, and running some form of windows, you could mimic your VPS using VMWare Server (free, runs on Win / Linux), and run a virtual machine setup exactly like your VPS.

If you want to get as close as possible to your real VPS, I would suggest going the OpenVZ route. It's not too hard to get running if you follow the bouncing ball. Very widely supported, so help will be readily available if needed.

PS - I do the exact same thing, I have multiple dev environments running on OpenVZ / Xen / VMWare WS. Can't even put a price on how much it's worth to me.

Good luck
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 7, but i have 2 spare 80GB HDDs which i would like to install CentOS 5.3. Also on the Windows i have VMWare installed and already a functioning CentOS x86 VM.

But i'd like to go with a full normal installation with the two 80GB hdd's.
    If you have a router and are on a private subnet w/ available IPs, this will be no problem.
    I'm currently doing it on a private and public network, very similar to what you want to do.

Hi yes,
    My home PC is able to install CentOS 5 seperately. Cos it would be better to have something real close to the normal environment. Also i'm not much in need or public ip's. all i want is to access thru my other home pc's to do the tests.

That's my only requirement. Public internet access is not required i.e from outside my n/w to my home pc.

Thanks a lot folks.

PS: Yes i have 2 routers available for me.

Sure, you can do that very easily. OpenVZ has great documentation, just follow the install instructions closely. The node you'll assign one of your private IPs, and you just assign each VPS any available private IP (or IPs) you want. It's a good practive to not install anything but OpenVZ on the actual node...if you want web or any other services, just do that on 1 or more VPSs.

I keep 2 routers too...I have a 32 block of public routables, and keep a private network behind that. Each has an install of OpenVZ...one pub, one private.

Thanks,

How should i make the partitions etc? I need about only 20GB max for the containers. So would a single 80GB is enough?

Also when installing CentOS, there are some specifics like, desktop/workstation/server selections. What should i use for this?

Maybe try VMware?

Well since it is for personal use, you could use Sun VirtualBox. It is free and it works well. It is also compatibile with the majority of operating systems.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting