Thread: Am I Off Base?

Smile Am I Off Base?

I have been an IT professional for 12 years. I have been running a dozen affiliate sites and blogs for about 6 years. All are hosted on a reseller plan and all are honest interest websites. I make a few dollars but want to make more.

My thinking is to offer hosting and design for small businesses. The type of personal (hand holding) service where I buy the domain, setup the site, install blogs, change or modify themes etc.

I am a one man shop. Is there enough of a need that I would be able to make sustainable PT or FT income?

Thanks
    Doug

Doug, there is a lot of room and need for this kind of hosting especially for small businesses. You should be able to start off locally competitively for anywhere from $20 - $50/month, if not more depending on what you are offering in your hosting bundle.

Well I believe with any business as long as you have solid goals and ideas you can make it a success. There is always going to be web hosting and web design companies all over the world. The idea is to obtain an edge or an insight that other companies do not offer or have. This will allow for you to generate more clients an increase sales.

Make sure you have the skills in both business, design, and web related issues to successfully provide services to the clients and if you do not know a certain area make sure you obtain solid information or hire someone on the side - 'per' hour bases to assist you. I wish you all the best and I'm sure we will see great things from you.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

even though there are a lot of hosts out there you still have a shot at making good profit - all you have to do is try to remain as unique as possible and be innovative. You may end up being the perfect host for a few people and once you have your set of loyal clients, nothing else will matter, trust me (we still have a client with us that signed up on the first day we went public with our company)

Quote Originally Posted by DJS Hosting View Post
    I have been an IT professional for 12 years. I have been running a dozen affiliate sites and blogs for about 6 years. All are hosted on a reseller plan and all are honest interest websites. I make a few dollars but want to make more.

My thinking is to offer hosting and design for small businesses. The type of personal (hand holding) service where I buy the domain, setup the site, install blogs, change or modify themes etc.

I am a one man shop. Is there enough of a need that I would be able to make sustainable PT or FT income?

Thanks
    Doug

It really all comes down to your ability to market your services. There are plenty of people out there with money who need websites built. You just need to be able to find them.

I would only suggest you don't be one of the annoying hosts who buys and registers the domain for the client in your name.

Quote Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
    It really all comes down to your ability to market your services. There are plenty of people out there with money who need websites built. You just need to be able to find them.
    I agree, marketing is a big key in almost any kind of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    I would only suggest you don't be one of the annoying hosts who buys and registers the domain for the client in your name.
    Trust me, my clients name will be on everything.