Best Way to Stop Hotlinking

Is there a way to stop hotlinking? I have a client who has a blog. They have post pics of tattoos. Now there are at least 50 tattoo forums, blogs and other sites hotling to the pics. Now his bandwidth usage has skyrocketed. So enable hotlink protection in his cPanel. Just did a redirect to my main hosting site with a nice please stop hotlink image. Now I see all this in my logs. So I then made a 150 x 9000 clear BG gf with the text at the top please stop hotlinking.

My questions is there any way to stop it. If not should I just make a 1x1 clear gif to redirect to? Also is there a way to not have this traffic show in my log files?

Thanks

Mod_rewrite can block approximately 90% of hot-linking.

DJS Hosting,

Are you on CPanel or a similar hosting control panel? If so, there should be a hotlink protection icon that you can click that will automatically do this for you.

You can also accomplish this through .htaccess files: After a quick google search, here is a big help: altlab.com/htaccess_tutorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by DJS Hosting View Post
    Is there a way to stop hotlinking? I have a client who has a blog. They have post pics of tattoos. Now there are at least 50 tattoo forums, blogs and other sites hotling to the pics. Now his bandwidth usage has skyrocketed. So enable hotlink protection in his cPanel. Just did a redirect to my main hosting site with a nice please stop hotlink image. Now I see all this in my logs. So I then made a 150 x 9000 clear BG gf with the text at the top please stop hotlinking.

My questions is there any way to stop it. If not should I just make a 1x1 clear gif to redirect to? Also is there a way to not have this traffic show in my log files?

Thanks
    To prevent seeing them in traffic log,try this:
    http://www.besthostratings.com/artic...rrer-spam.html
    If not working then just type in google block refferer spam.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I use cpanel. I setup hotlink protection via cpanel but it was more of a redirect. I did a GGL search and found exactly what I needed.