Looking for a reliable VPS provider that allows VPN traffic - tun/tap drivers

Hi,

I'm a really happy knownhost client. Unfortunately, now I need to set up a VPN with my VPSs and they don't allow that kind of traffic.

I'm not trying to fool anyone, nor harm anyone's network. I need it to work - I can provide any proofs needed, passport, cc copies, drivers license, whatever.

Does anyone know a reliable VPS company that agrees to set up - or has already installed - tun/tap drivers? I also own a ded, but I need the VPSs on the vpn too.

Same level of service than kh would be great, but if it's lower it's ok. I own 2 VPS with them - 512MB, 30GB each - and pay around $90/mo. If the price is a bit higher, it's ok. No control panel is needed - I'll install plesk with only 1 domain.

Thanks in advance!

off myhead just found this thread where team-vps openly saying they will support VPN,

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=team-vps

i am sure if you ask other providers by contacting them lot of will support.

Did you have a specific location on where you needed the VPS located at? I know that some of my clients usually want our servers to be located closely to them for their VPN. Did you have a specific datacenter?

Nope, just want in in the US, thanks for asking do you support vpns?

Just curious, what is the main purpose for the VPN? Connecting to a game network etc....

Is it relating to OpenVPN or some sort?

I can probably recommend a host that allows vpn
    Last edited by Wulex; 07-18-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Quote Originally Posted by elgerva View Post
    Nope, just want in in the US, thanks for asking do you support vpns?
    Due to the rules of WHT. I am not allowed to sell our or discuss our services here in this thread. Sorry

Hey!

nope, I won't use it for gaming at all. I develop websites, and use the VPSs to connect to dev/production server and run data intensive processing - I live at south america, and our uploading speed is really slow.

Sometimes, I work in other places than my office, and when I'm working on new projects, I set up a local environment to make the development smooth, and also give my client the chance to see my progress in real time.

The issue, is that when I work from college, or at an airport, I can't have the port 80 and 443 for me. At the office, I use ports 81 and 444, but can't do that when I don't have access to the router.

So, the purpose is to have this vpn with the vps and my pc, and have the traffic that comes to one of the ips of the server redirected to my PC. That way, I won't ever have to deal with router configuration, doesn't matter where I am. The only one that will ever connect to the VPN is me. I'd have my both VPSs on the VPN, for redundancy and will probably play a bit with load balancing and that stuff... but no real sites will be hosted there.

I'd rather choose a company with more than 1 datacenter. With knownhost, I have a vps at TX and another at CA. That way, if they have an issue at one datacenter, I can keep on working without issues.

I've made some experiments with openVPN, I plan to use it with tls to authenticate me.

Thanks for any advice and if something is unclear, I'll clear it for you

I have a Windows VPS with www.esited.com with OpenVPN installed that works fine. Try contacting them
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

If you choose a Xen VPS and you shouldn't need to worry about the network configuration of the host
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

The majority of VPS hosting providers should not mind if you are running a VPN on your container as long as it does not cause any problems.

With that said, if you choose a host which utilizes OpenVZ or Virtuozzo then you will most likely need to contact their support team to enable the tun/tap device within your container. Some VPS control panels even allow you to do this yourself.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Be aware of the current root exploit with tun device! http://www.h-online.com/security/Roo...--/news/113791

Any VPS that is run on Xen will work with VPN.

I would suggest RapidXen's Fremont location.
    It provides good latency to South America and has been very stable (been up 92 days with no network outage. Would've been longer if not for my own screw up).

Thank you guys for your valuable input! I didn't know that Xen was so flexible, so I chosen it and worked as it does on a ded server. Awesome!

I've bought a VPS at 6sync, and if everything goes smoothly, I'll move the 2nd.

I haven't seen any reviews yet, so I'll put one once I've been long enough to review them so far, everything has been really great.

For most OpenVZ providers this is no problem at all. Adding tap/tun is often built into the user control panel so you can do it yourself.

Always check with the providers policy regarding VPN, but I would think most would allow it if you provide valid photo-id.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by CryptWizard View Post
    Any VPS that is run on Xen will work with VPN.

I would suggest RapidXen's Fremont location.
    It provides good latency to South America and has been very stable (been up 92 days with no network outage. Would've been longer if not for my own screw up).
    You can use this to load up tun/tap onto OpenVZ/Virtuozzo based servers: http://wiki.openvz.org/VPN_via_the_TUN/TAP_device

Right, if the provider agrees - which is not the case at KnownHost