www.theverls.com -- Review please

Hello,

I just recently completed the website for my friends band, The Verls. I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on http://www.theverls.com/ . If any of you have some suggestions for that big black space on the right, let me know. Also, as this was a free job, it isnt the most creative looking thing ever so please dont rant about that.

Thanks in advance.

Very dark - reads like the brightness control has blown. Try white text instead of grey. Red on black for the links doesn't work either - something brighter, please.

Alright, i think ill lighten up the text, but i sorta like the red links, what dont you like about them? What do you suggest i change it to?

Simply hard to read, because of the lack of contrast. You're using dark colour on a dark background.

I quite like it. I'd compress the navigation a little so it fits on a screen at 1024 x 768 resolution (I don't like scrolling just for those few last nav links).
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

there's lots of empty space at the top under the logo and on the left hand bar. you could put some links there so every link is displayed in the first screen and users don't have to scroll down as Tazzman just said ...

just a suggestion ...

Alright, ill shorten up the side nav. But what to do about the empty space?

*Usually band sites will have a picture of each member along with a Bio of each member, that might be good to have.

* No where on your site does it actually say where you are from (physically located) at least from what I saw.

* Get a better group photo for your homepage, not one of you guys in the library at your school.

* If this site is for fun, everything is fine, if you're actually trying to sell yourselves as a band, you'll need more changes..

* For your past shows, I might want to hold out mentioning the show was in your basement..it's not lying, just mention you held a small show and it was well received, but not without it's little "bumps", also mention the set you did and advise the lyrics of the songs performed can be found in the lyrics section.

All just my opinion of course.

how about a "history of the Verls" like, how you came to be together, and why on earth you chose the name "Verls"?

*Usually band sites will have a picture of each member along with a Bio of each member, that might be good to have.
    Bio's will be featured on the about us page, when they complete them. This is not my band.

* No where on your site does it actually say where you are from (physically located) at least from what I saw.
    Check the about page? First setance reads "The Verls are based out of Kalamazoo"

* Get a better group photo for your homepage, not one of you guys in the library at your school.
    The provided me with that picture, and i think it was at his house, but thanks for the suggestion ill let em know.

Thanks a lot of the imput man, that should help. What other changes should i make if they are trying to sell themselves?

wow..I never picked up on the "based out of Kalamazoo" part..sorry about that. Maybe add what country/state Kalamazoo is in...I'm In Canada, i have no idea if Kalamazoo is in Canada, the US or Mozambique for that matter.

eg: The Verls hail from Kalamazoo, AZ

In terms of "selling" them more through the website..I can't think of much else other than what I mentioned..for pictures they might also want to consider getting some black and white film and have a buddy snap shots of them all day (need like 2 rolls of 24 exposure film) just go crazy and pick the best ones for the site.

If you (the band) are going to give an honest effort selling shirts, either have photos of the real shirts, or better yet, pics of people wearing them, otherwise, you probably want to remove the "drawings" of the shirts.

the current "picture" page has two of the same shot by the way.

maybe add a forum?

maybe add the ability to download all or a portion of their best song?

Heh, well actually it reads The Verls are based out of Kalamazoo, Michigan so thats taken care of

I agree with you on the pictures, and actually i was wanting to do something along the same lines. I want to do freeshooting downtown etc, but who knows. Any suggestions on location or type of thing to go for (e.g. downtown, casual stuff)?

We'll be adding pictures of the t-shirts when they decide which one to go with. The wording isnt very clear (or wasnt, i changed it a bit). Anyhow, if our cheap host supported PHP or if my ISP wasnt so limiting we'd have a poll on it for a few days (if someone is willing to host this for a week or so thatd be great, very low data x-fer required)

Picture page fixed, thanks a lot.

Forum is out of the question untill i switch ISP's and get a webserver setup in-home. This is low budget stuff.

They are going in to record some of there stuff soon, we'll be putting some of their stuff up then. The only have 1 GB of BW and 20 MB of space, so i have to be careful.

Still no suggestions on what to dow ith all the empty space?

hrrrmmm..empty space...maybe become an affiliate with some other sites?

No i mean all of the black areas on the site. That huge area to the right especially.

ya, I know. Thats why I said affiliates, like say you were an affiliate of some big online music CD selling store, you could have a banner to it on your site (and make a comission on sales from people who clickthrough and purchase)

Decent for a beginner but there is a lot you can do with it especially if its a band site. Your apparel section should be real images of shirts and patches not computer drawn stuff. No one will buy that when they know you are just going to grab some t-shrit and throw your logo on it. Do not rely on text as your navigation; get some buttons to spruce it up. The page looks very drab with the dark colors.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Ok, ill create some images for the nav. I beleive i already covered the pictures area. As it is a punk band, dark colours were there choice.

hi atheist

i ve made a couple of site for bands in my town in the past.
    I agree with dark colors but the pic is bad and grey text doesnt fit.
    You have very large fonts, especially for those visitors who have 800X600. You could justify the main text and have paragraphs, use a different font.

i d make a logo from a pic u got in picture link with the red name in black background and also i d put a picture from that link in the front showing the band in action. First page shoud show energy and i dont have that impression.

i d also put a demo or intro in real audio or mp3. A visitor would love to hear them in a solo.

Here 's 2 examples from 2 basic templates i ve made for rock bands in my country. Its only a screenshot (jpg) but maybe u could get an idea.

http://www.atrapos.net/samples/sample1.html

http://www.atrapos.net/samples/sample2.html

but that was my opinion
    u design and u decide

c ya
    always chasing the west wind

No i mean all of the black areas on the site. That huge area to the right especially.
    try the atachment below it should make your site all screen res friendly

hi atheist

i ve made a couple of site for bands in my town in the past.
    I agree with dark colors but the pic is bad and grey text doesnt fit.
    You have very large fonts, especially for those visitors who have 800X600. You could justify the main text and have paragraphs, use a different font.

i d make a logo from a pic u got in picture link with the red name in black background and also i d put a picture from that link in the front showing the band in action. First page shoud show energy and i dont have that impression.

i d also put a demo or intro in real audio or mp3. A visitor would love to hear them in a solo.

Here 's 2 examples from 2 basic templates i ve made for rock bands in my country. Its only a screenshot (jpg) but maybe u could get an idea.

http://www.atrapos.net/samples/sample1.html

http://www.atrapos.net/samples/sample2.html

but that was my opinion
    u design and u decide

c ya
    isnt eddy the decaying corps a copyright mascot for iron maiden?
    Attached Files Attached Files

aha! Thank you for the stretch idea, that should help. Of course now ill have to modify it a bit more, but still. Thanks! I'm waiting on one more thing before i publish the changes, and its on their end.

Originally posted by eddyO

isnt eddy the decaying corps a copyright mascot for iron maiden?
    off topic but...

eddie on one is from iron maiden

on the other the singer is lemmy (if anyone knows him)

but as i said that was samples and the pics were replaced by the bands pics

happy sunday
    always chasing the west wind

did iron maiden get rid of bruce dickinson with annother singer!!?
    it has been a while since i listened to iron maiden but if they fired bruce then they may as well retire...
    sorry for the off the topic stuff lol

did anyone dl the attachement of eddy0? If so, although that solves some of the issues of the black space, what should i do about the body's black space.

Does http://www.theverls.com/index2.html look right? It looks right to me, but my friend said when he checked it out it looked really weird, like the bottom was huge and the nav wasnt there. And is this the right way to go? Should i edit this some more to get something visually different(aside from recoding it)