Thread: Time for VPS?

Time for VPS?

Currently I am hosting with ASmallOrange on their second-largest shared hosting plan. The forum database has about 60,000 posts and just got over 100 MB in size. We'll typically have 10-25 members and 20-50 guests, depending on the time of day. The most users ever online was 167.

We've had a few months with 700,000 pageviews, this last month was 530,000. We get about 25,000 unique visitors per month and 90,0000 visits.

I expect pretty heavy growth this next year and would like to set up a VPS now rather than later, if it seems like the appropriate time. I'm asking because as exciting as it sounds to finally move to a VPS due to our size, I don't want to be preemptive about it.

If I do switch, I'll be using either LiquidWeb or WiredTree. I have not decided yet, but they have fairly similar plans available (RAM-wise anyway).

Thanks.

I think it might be wise maybe to go for a VPS. Maybe start with 512 ram, dual core VPS and work your way up.

Best,
    Nathaniel
    Wholesale Direct International Sip Termination & UK Numbering (DID's/DDI's)
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://www.voipyonder.com/

If I do switch, I'll be using either LiquidWeb or WiredTree. I have not decided yet, but they have fairly similar plans available (RAM-wise anyway).
    Either provider will work for your needs.

I expect pretty heavy growth this next year and would like to set up a VPS now rather than later
    Agreed, it's better to transfer now than later on, hence the database will only get bigger and bigger, and the process will only take longer to transfer inbetween the hosts.

We personally house a few of our dedicated servers with Liquidweb, and have been pretty satisfied with their service. Occasionally they seem to forget about one of our tickets, however a quick phone call in usually reminds them. We sometime have problems getting through to Liquidweb over their phone system, occasionally randomly being hung up on, wait times of 15-20 minutes, even after when I call back from a different number, I am able to get through instantly... just weird issues, but from a network and support standpoint, they are great....

Obviously if you are expecting heavy growth, then the time is now to go with a VPS. Your database isn't to big for a shared hosting provider yet, as I know many shared hosting providers which host database in the 250+mb range in their shared hosting environment and do fine.

I'd say start out with 512MB of RAM and upgrade as needed. Upgrading RAM on a VPS is as simple as changing a few numbers on a file/database. No downtime should be incurred.

Best of luck on your search. I do recommend maybe expanding your search a bit out of the two providers you mentioned.

With the given statistics ,and as you think it will grow more rapidly; I also would recommend you to switch to a VPS. And the selection of providers also seems good as far as I know from the reviews here.

I don't think you need a VPS, people are all too quick these days to push VPS's at anyone who is slightly unsure. What you've posted doesn't really warrant a VPS unless your on an oversold low spec'd shared hosting platform.

One very important thing to keep in mind is that if you do not have server administration knowledge, make sure to pay the premium price and get a managed VPS.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by defen View Post
    Currently I am hosting with ASmallOrange on their second-largest shared hosting plan. The forum database has about 60,000 posts and just got over 100 MB in size. We'll typically have 10-25 members and 20-50 guests, depending on the time of day. The most users ever online was 167.

We've had a few months with 700,000 pageviews, this last month was 530,000. We get about 25,000 unique visitors per month and 90,0000 visits.

I expect pretty heavy growth this next year and would like to set up a VPS now rather than later, if it seems like the appropriate time. I'm asking because as exciting as it sounds to finally move to a VPS due to our size, I don't want to be preemptive about it.

Thanks.
    I'd go with Wiredtree, they are awesome

Yes, how is your site currently holding up, if you can stick with shared hosting and just get a bigger plan and everything works then why pay more for a vps and have to have knowledge and go threw all that hassle, if the company your with sahred plans server there on is not able to do so then ya id move to vps but if there capable withought issues then why move just upgrade, however if you have knowledge of admining a vps the change is nice as you also have the extra options of hosting you can do as well and what you can / cannot run, and if you do go with a vps besides the 2 mentioned above which ive heard is good id also recommend www.xygenhosting.com as ive used and continue to use for things very nice, very stable etc. Goodluck either way you go about it!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

Moving to a VPS would appear to be the best case scenario for you. You may also want to check if maybe your current host could get you onto a hybrid plan if they offer one.

Ram Wise(768MB and Burstable to 1.5GB) and Bandwidth Wise(1000 Gigs) go for ServInt.net.

Support gives you the real 5 Minute Resolution. Unlike any other hosts, ServInt will reply to ur tickets in 5 minutes with these kind of answers "Yes, I fixed it already", "It's done and working now".

Unlike in any other hosts out there who replies in a canned message like "I'll work on this".

Hi Defen, I would also think moving to a VPS may not be a bad idea. You'd be best to evaluate how your oncoming traffic will affect the usage.

Have you had a look in the VPS offers forum? There's quite a number of reputable hosting offers over there.
    In2net Network Inc. ( www.in2net.com ) : Providing Service Since 1996!
    Quick Sales Response - [email protected]
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting - Ask us about our Managed Hosting services, too!
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

Thank you for all the replies and help. I'm fairly set on those two hosts, as I would like someone with phone support and as far as I can tell, they both get great reviews.

As far as traffic, if I had to guess I would say we'll probably hit 1.1-1.3 million pageviews per month with about 30,000 unique visitors per month over the course of the next 8 months. I'll come nowhere near the bandwidth or storage space allotted for most VPS plans, so the move would only be for speed due to users online at a time.
    Last edited by defen; 07-21-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defen View Post
    Thank you for all the replies and help. I'm fairly set on those two hosts, as I would like someone with phone support and as far as I can tell, they both get great reviews.

As far as traffic, if I had to guess I would say we'll probably hit 1.1-1.3 million pageviews per month with about 30,000 unique visitors per month over the course of the next 8 months. I'll come nowhere near the bandwidth or storage space allotted for most VPS plans, so the move would only be for speed due to users online at a time.
    If you have that amount, it wouldnt be soon (maybe 2 mill per month) until you need to start looking for a load balanced solution maybe.

maybe load balance some VPS's together.

I have done it for a customer before. Put there sites on a normal server, but have a Database VPS on another special VPS server which has faster hard drives (300gb 15,000rpm HD's) and maybe a bit more processing power perhaps.

Works really well. Good Luck!

Best,
    Nathaniel
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://www.voipyonder.com/

Hate to say it, but a VPS is still a shared hosting solution, so the speed is still going to be dependent on how loaded the actual dedicated server is. You do get some guaranteed RAM resources with a VPS, but CPU is still equally shared at best. And to be honest, the guaranteed RAM that you get on a VPS could end up being a lot less than what you have access to on a regular shared hosting server. Main thing a VPS is good for is if you need root access for whatever reason. If you don't need root, then you might as well stay on a regular shared hosting platform as long as your provider is not complaining and as long as they are giving you good service. Once you outgrow them, you should probably go straight to a dedicated server. If you are anticipating major growth in the near future, then might as well get the dedicated server now.

Maybe look for a provider who can guarantee you CPU share

Best,

Thanks for the feedback. That makes a lot of sense from a CPU standpoint, so for now I think I will stay on the shared environment. We don't have speed issues right now, and I keep the modifications to vBulletin to a minimum, so we run a pretty tight ship as far as CPU resources.

I'll probably wait and start casually looking for a dedicated solution. On the plus side, running cPanel means I should be able to make a switch in a few days' time after the decision is made, so there's no real need to rush it now as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tywe View Post
    Hate to say it, but a VPS is still a shared hosting solution, so the speed is still going to be dependent on how loaded the actual dedicated server is. You do get some guaranteed RAM resources with a VPS, but CPU is still equally shared at best. And to be honest, the guaranteed RAM that you get on a VPS could end up being a lot less than what you have access to on a regular shared hosting server. Main thing a VPS is good for is if you need root access for whatever reason. If you don't need root, then you might as well stay on a regular shared hosting platform as long as your provider is not complaining and as long as they are giving you good service. Once you outgrow them, you should probably go straight to a dedicated server. If you are anticipating major growth in the near future, then might as well get the dedicated server now.
    Not sure which VPS services you have experience with, but as part of a provider offering shared/VPS/dedicated I'd like to think that I may considered a relatively impartial authority on this issue (i.e. unlike some other providers who are VPS only).

A VPS done right is very much like it should be - i.e. a mini dedicated server. Providing that you're talking about a decent spec. VPS from a reputable provider, you should have better performance + more resources from a VPS than a decent shared hosting service.

The misconception that a VPS outperforms shared hosting is usually debunked by comparing shared hosting to a low spec. VPS; if you have 500MB+ guaranteed memory and CPU resources all to yourself that will exceed the "guaranteed" resources which you can rely on from a shared hosting service. Yes, a shared host may have 8GB of RAM, but if so it also means you're sharing that with x hundred other domains of indeterminate resource usage/size.

Other advantages are in terms of security (i.e. not a shared environment for other customer's insecure scripts to cause you issues), customised configuration (again can impact on security, but also feasibility for you to run a particular software version or setup which may not be compatible with a shared service), and instant scalability.

It's great that you can potentially switch to another host/service in a few days, but with a VPS you can dramatically scale up (or down) in minutes. You don't have that from any other type of service (yes, everyone's fav. marketing term, "cloud", is usually based on VPS technology but doesn't it sell well when you throw some confusion marketing in!?).

Other posters in this thread may well be correct that in this case a decent shared hosting service is the best short-term solution. However, I wouldn't advise skipping VPS and going straight to dedicated except for those annoying exceptional circumstances which prevent anyone from generalising

In most cases a VPS can be a good intermediate step. It's one of the factors which has made the technology a popular choice.

Of course in both cases (VPS or dedicated) it's important to keep in mind that moving from Shared hosting to VPS/dedi is a serious undertaking in terms of your responsibilities. With most services you have to take responsibility for server administration tasks including system patching, updates, and troubleshooting. Although most unmanaged providers will give you basic support, you should expect to pay if you want them to actively investigate/resolve a software related problem for you...
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    UK & Arizona Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Thank you for the feedback on the VPS/Shared hosting debate.

When I switch to a VPS, it will be a managed solution with cPanel, which as far as I understand will result in virtually on different compared to my current shared solution with cPanel.