Edit php.ini in Plesk on Media Temple DV

Hi guys, I have several domains set up on my Media Temple Dedicated Virtual account. I need to edit the php.ini file to change the upload_tmp_dir settings on one of the domains I have set up. It is not the primary domain.

I've tried doing this with Shell access in Plesk. I am able to edit the file but when I come to save it, I'm goiven a "E212: Can't open file for writing" message. I guess this is because I'm not logged in as root. Is that right?

If so, I"m not sure how to log in as root. I've tried using 'root' as the user name with a variety of passwords but no joy. I've also enabled root access on my primary domain.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Brendan.

that's very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by kendalbren View Post
    Hi guys, I have several domains set up on my Media Temple Dedicated Virtual account. I need to edit the php.ini file to change the upload_tmp_dir settings on one of the domains I have set up. It is not the primary domain.

I've tried doing this with Shell access in Plesk. I am able to edit the file but when I come to save it, I'm goiven a "E212: Can't open file for writing" message. I guess this is because I'm not logged in as root. Is that right?

If so, I"m not sure how to log in as root. I've tried using 'root' as the user name with a variety of passwords but no joy. I've also enabled root access on my primary domain.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Brendan.
    Hi,
    Do you have ssh access? if yes then try with that. the Error "E212: Can't open file for writing" comes because you don't have permissions to write to a file(means you are not root)

If you are not sure of root password, ask your host.they would provide you your password.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. I've now got as far as being able to edit my php.ini file. Thanks!

The whole reason I wanted to do this was because I've just moved to Media Temple from another hosting company and I'm having a couple of problems with the switchover.

I could be going off topic a bit here but basically I use a CMS system to add properties which appear on the main website. I also upload PDFs and images. On the old hosting company, the PDFs and images went into folders called dnDir/pdf and dnDir/images but on Media Temple, they are going in to a folder called tmp. I really want them to go to the same place as they used to.

Is this an issue with php.ini that I need to rectify? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by kendalbren View Post
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. I've now got as far as being able to edit my php.ini file. Thanks!

The whole reason I wanted to do this was because I've just moved to Media Temple from another hosting company and I'm having a couple of problems with the switchover.

I could be going off topic a bit here but basically I use a CMS system to add properties which appear on the main website. I also upload PDFs and images. On the old hosting company, the PDFs and images went into folders called dnDir/pdf and dnDir/images but on Media Temple, they are going in to a folder called tmp. I really want them to go to the same place as they used to.

Is this an issue with php.ini that I need to rectify? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Brendan.
    This seems issue which script itself or the Environment variables it uses to identify file locations.they seems to be not set. Is this a custom cms or popular one? you haven't given specific information so I can't assist you further.

If you can't figure it out yourself then hire someone to fix it for you.