Question Help! Need new forum advice!

I want to create a new forum website. I want it to have more graphics/images that typical "list style" boards with no images.

Can I use a website builder/hosting service like Website tonight? I like the website templates & images, but wonder if the Forum feature is just an add-on, and would not meet my forum needs? No, I don't have more content than the forum to put on the site. (That is, I am not selling anything, etc)

As you can probably guess, I am not computer literate...and feeling a little overwhelmed.

Any help would be soooooo appreciated.

Use scripts like phpBB or simple machines forums.

You can make a forum very graphical but it's not something that you could accomplish with a site-builder. You would need to find and pay a designer you felt you could trust to do the job for you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

So, would you say it would not make sense to create a website, then add the forum?

I just want the site to be attractive & be a little more appealing than just a list of threads, kwim?

So, I thought a package deal would serve me best. (Build my site then host it for me.) I may add my own ads, so I don't want a free host.

Please bear with me, I am way out of my element.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You can make a forum very graphical but it's not something that you could accomplish with a site-builder. You would need to find and pay a designer you felt you could trust to do the job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by chattycathy View Post
    I want to create a new forum website. I want it to have more graphics/images that typical "list style" boards with no images.
    Modern free forum scripts, such as MyBB, phpBB and SMF, allow customization of the theme, so your forum can be very attractive with these modifications. Heck, there's even free themes for said forum scripts out there.

Can I use a website builder/hosting service like Website tonight? I like the website templates & images, but wonder if the Forum feature is just an add-on, and would not meet my forum needs? No, I don't have more content than the forum to put on the site. (That is, I am not selling anything, etc)
    Website builder: No. The forum script depends on PHP/MySQL (most common) and I highly doubt that a forum will be able to run on pure HTML alone. If it is possible, then it is probably difficult to do and would not be too efficient anyway.

Hosting service: Yes. As long as your host supports PHP/MySQL, you're good to go with your forum. Some hosts offer a one-click installer, allowing you to install scripts like forums with one click.

So, would you say it would not make sense to create a website, then add the forum?
    Well, it really depends. If your website really doesn't have anything to say other than "this is a forum for topic X", then I think it is more or less pointless to create a seperate site from the forum script. There's no harm in doing that, however.

I just want the site to be attractive & be a little more appealing than just a list of threads, kwim?
    As stated earlier, forum scripts nowadays allow for customization of the theme, so that would not be a problem.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

Thank you for your candor and quick response. I can tell I am WAY out of my league and need to go back to the drawing board!

I appreciate your thoughts. Off to become more computer literate...

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    Modern free forum scripts, such as MyBB, phpBB and SMF, allow customization of the theme, so your forum can be very attractive with these modifications. Heck, there's even free themes for said forum scripts out there.

Website builder: No. The forum script depends on PHP/MySQL (most common) and I highly doubt that a forum will be able to run on pure HTML alone. If it is possible, then it is probably difficult to do and would not be too efficient anyway.

Hosting service: Yes. As long as your host supports PHP/MySQL, you're good to go with your forum. Some hosts offer a one-click installer, allowing you to install scripts like forums with one click.

Well, it really depends. If your website really doesn't have anything to say other than "this is a forum for topic X", then I think it is more or less pointless to create a seperate site from the forum script. There's no harm in doing that, however.

As stated earlier, forum scripts nowadays allow for customization of the theme, so that would not be a problem.