PayPal for CC handling

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is PayPal a good option for Credit Card handling as a temporary solution? I know there are services like 2checkout and all, but I am tight on cash at the moment, and paypal's services look pretty good. What experience have people had with this system?

Thanks

If you are going to start a host, I think everyone will agree that you should wait until you aren't "tight on cash".

That doesn't mean PayPal isn't a good service to use. I haven't had any problems with them, and would recommend using them as a secondary method of payment

Currently we only accept PayPal, although for clients in Europe (NOT only EU countries) we do accept cheque, postal order and cash (If you want to accept cash I'd recommend only accepting it with Registered Mail as then you can be 100% sure they have sent it- whether this is available in the US I don't know, but I think so)

It depends what type of people you are aiming at. We think PayPal is great as it accepts the major Credit Cards, as well as eCheck. Basically, if you are mainly aimed at clients who live in the countries PayPal accepts, then use them all the way as so far we've had no troubles with them.

Postal Order, Cash and Cheque are also very good payments to accept I personally think, but only if the US has Registered Mail (Maybe it is called something else there but it is this: Either you or your client will pay that little but more so that it is 100% sure you received it as if you claim not to your client can go to the post office with a slip they got and say "did this person receive it?" and then the post office will check and say yes or no- This is quite safe and secure and it mainly helps with making sure you got it alright and that you give the clients the goods you said you would).

Do a search on "paypal". That will scare ya

Originally posted by Anjay

Postal Order, Cash and Cheque are also very good payments to accept I personally think, but only if the US has Registered Mail (Maybe it is called something else there but it is this: Either you or your client will pay that little but more so that it is 100% sure you received it as if you claim not to your client can go to the post office with a slip they got and say "did this person receive it?" and then the post office will check and say yes or no- This is quite safe and secure and it mainly helps with making sure you got it alright and that you give the clients the goods you said you would).
    Registered mail does exist in the US. I don't think that's the ideal solution for sending money though because if the letter goes lost the fact that it was sent as registered mail doesn't help you re-get your money. Sending cash through any postal mail service is like playing with the fire.. it may go well for some time but sometime you can be burnt.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com

PayPal is a mixed blessing, searching on these forums you will find mixed reviews. For the short term it is a good option to use. Long term it is good to have as an additional option.

May I ask a basic question?

Could clients buy through their credit card processing without paypal account?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you want to accept credit cards online, you (the business) have to have something that processes the credit card. These solutions can be

* your own merchant account, billing software, and secure server
    * your own merchant account and someone else's secure server and processing software, such as Authorize.net or Paysystems (or others)
    * a third-party processing company, such as 2checkout, Paysystems, or Paypal (again...or others)

If you use an option other than Paypal, your clients do not have to have a Paypal account. They will need a Paypal account if that is the ONLY way that your business accepts credit cards.

Did that answer your question? Or did I misunderstand what you were asking?

Originally posted by living_media
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you want to accept credit cards online, you (the business) have to have something that processes the credit card. These solutions can be

* your own merchant account, billing software, and secure server
    * your own merchant account and someone else's secure server and processing software, such as Authorize.net or Paysystems (or others)
    * a third-party processing company, such as 2checkout, Paysystems, or Paypal (again...or others)

If you use an option other than Paypal, your clients do not have to have a Paypal account. They will need a Paypal account if that is the ONLY way that your business accepts credit cards.

Did that answer your question? Or did I misunderstand what you were asking?
    At the paypal credit card processing , clients will need to apply for their paypal account. That is what I want to know.

Thanks living_media.

Actually, I work at a shipping center, and Registered Mail does exist here (in the US). It's not commonly used, but it's brother is used quite often: ever heard of Certified Mail? Same principle, only you have to sign for it to receive it.

You're right in a way Gernot, as there of course the chance it can get lost sometimes. Thankfully in the EU the postal service is outstanding, (Especially in the UK; although now that TB is back in for a second year for some reason it is lacking what it had when he was there in the first year and before he even came in).

baummer, how does Registered Mail in the US work then? In Europe with Registered Mail the person who gets the letter, package, etc. has to sign for it and even sometimes prove identification that it is him/her (such as a passport since you have to sign that when you get it).
    (The way that the post office is able to check whether the other person get the thing is by the signing - Plus with Postal Order it seems a lot safer since then all the services are handled by the post office and you will know exactly when that person cashed the postal order slips; and also with that in europe you have to show your passport for identifcation of Name and Photo before you can cash the postal order into your bank account; a lot safer than Cash really although unfortunately not ALL countries accept Postal Orders from other countries)

here is a list of alternatives to Paypal

http://www.paypalwarning.com/Alternatives/Default.htm

Originally posted by Anjay

(The way that the post office is able to check whether the other person get the thing is by the signing - Plus with Postal Order it seems a lot safer since then all the services are handled by the post office and you will know exactly when that person cashed the postal order slips; and also with that in europe you have to show your passport for identifcation of Name and Photo before you can cash the postal order into your bank account; a lot safer than Cash really although unfortunately not ALL countries accept Postal Orders from other countries)
    Well, registered mail in the US is indeed a little different than in Europe.
    A registered mail in the US works that way that the sender of the letter receives a notification (in real world most likely through the Internet) when the letter has been delivered. This means once the letter has arrived at the recipient's mailbox you get the confirmation.
    This does not actually confirm that the recipient has really got that mail because someone else may have taken it from his mailbox for instance.
    There's an additional service that provides such a "Signature Confirmation" for registered or certified mails as it is usual in Europe.

For sending cash the best way is a postal (money) order. This way you can send money to most countries worldwide and this money can't go lost either so it's entirely secure.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com

Some of the stories on that anti-paypal site just look like they were made up on the spot by a guy IMO who has a grudge against paypal.

I'm surprised no one has posted this thread to this link yet?

http://www.paypalsucks.com

I don't think that people shouldn't use PayPal at all. I just think that they should be cautious when using it - same, actually, as for any other 3rd party CC processing system.

The sheer volume of people who use their services means that the complaints against them are going to be louder (not without substance, just louder) than the complaints against 2checkout or RevECom, companies that take a higher percentage per transaction and require a startup fee besides. Also, PayPal has been marketed - targeted - directly at the average surfer: a group which, statistically, contains a higher ratio of people who have no real drive to learn about how businesses handle money, and which businesses should not.

This doesn't mean that I'm ever going to use any of PayPal's services beyond accepting money. They aren't an FDIC-insured entity, they don't know how to manage money, they legally cannot offer some of the services they're offering, they're not getting my money-market account business. But I'll gladly use them to accept money from people.

Originally posted by Gernot

For sending cash the best way is a postal (money) order. This way you can send money to most countries worldwide and this money can't go lost either so it's entirely secure.

Yes that is very true. We first recommend our clients if they cannot use a CC to use Postal Order, but of course unfortunately still in the 21st century not ALL countries accept postal orders from other countries; so really that is the only place where you'd accept cash (If you really wanted that persons business that is).

Especially with a lot of "children" (aged from 10 to 18 or even higher in some cases) wanting websites these days, it becomes very hard when they cannot pay by Credit Card (Becuase either they're too young or their parents wont allow them to use theirs), so really that is the only instance where one would accept Postal Order, Cash, Cheque, etc. (Although depending on who you're aiming your business at, you may accept cheque and postal order as standard).
    Is there really any other safe and secure way yet for "children" to send money? As true with only a few "children" your business wont expand a lot, but apparently today more than 90% of children want their own website on paid webhosting, only they cannot afford it. If only there was a safe and secure way for them to pay without having a credit card and without the medium of payment costing them too much, *sigh*

OK thanks for all the response. Now for my final question-What companies do full-on merchant accounts? I'm looking at maybe getting one down the line sometime.

Your local bank offers merchant accounts.

Other than that, do a Google search on "merchant accounts" - you can probably find an indecent amount of listings and start researching. ;->