Looking for a free web based ssh

Firstly, I know poeple will say it's unsecure, and I am fully aware of that. I know poeple will call me a cheapskate and tell me to pay for one, but I cannot afford that due to being currently unemployed, and unable to find work in my area.

I am trying to find a completely free web based ssh client. Yes, I have looked, but the only one i've found apart from ones that need payment, is one called serfish, which is not ideal as you have to complete a captcha every few seconds to use it without paying.

I know poeple will say 'download putty'. I already have putty, but my isp currently has a problem, which is affecting certain things, one of which is ssh connections out, and I can't see them fixing the problem anytime soon.

The only server I need to connect to is a free shell server that I have an account on so that I can connect to an irc server (the problem affecting ssh is also preventing outbound irc connections at the moment).

I've tried ones like mindterm, but as the java applet for it runs on the computer you access it from, the connection still gets blocked.
    Computing Support Centre Owner (My Personal Site)
    ChatNSN Quote Database (My Quote Database)

Webmin with the built in Java Applet?

I can't upload webmin to the server I need to ssh to, as it's an extremely limited shell account (hence it being free).

I also have nowhere to host webmin, as my own site is on a windows server, and I cannot ftp at the moment anyway (that's another thing that's getting blocked by whatever problem my isp has).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Also, Just wanted to add, I know people will suggest contacting my isp to find out what's going on, but the account is not under my name, and the account holder will not contact them, as they don't believe there's a problem despite me proving that there is by the problem manifesting itself on at least three different systems.

What exactly do you want todo from the webbased tool?

Could you not use a simple PHP script locally to send the commands you wish to run?

All I need to do is be able to ssh to one shell server so that I can connect to irc servers from it using bitchx.

Until my isp fixes whatever is wrong, outbound ssh, ftp, and irc connections are not working from my connection.

Pretty much all the web-based ssh clients are built on java - they run on your own computer and if your ISP is blocking ports they'll have the exact same problems. I'd say your choices would be:
    1. a php-shell or cgi-shell to access the server's ssh client. Google for them but they're generally used as cracker tools so be careful.
    2. change ports, if you can. It's unlikely that your ISP will block 80 or 443, for example.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by csc2ya View Post
    All I need to do is be able to ssh to one shell server so that I can connect to irc servers from it using bitchx.

Until my isp fixes whatever is wrong, outbound ssh, ftp, and irc connections are not working from my connection.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpterm/

Use of such scripts are normally forbidden as well as IRC especially on shared web hosts. I'd be sure you have express permission from the host before using such tools as they could cause your account services to be terminated.

If it is an issue where your ISP is blocking port 22 outbound then use a redirector to set your outbound port as something acceptable and the destination to port 22.
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 07-17-2009 at 01:53 AM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

It's not so much that my isp is blocking it.....it's that connections don't seem to get past one of my isp's servers for some reason. I've been on the phone to my isp and they're adamant that there's nothing wrong with my connection or my computer (they connected via gotoassist and checked my settings), and it's the services i'm trying to get to, despite me knowing it's not (by their logic all irc servers are down, as I can't connect to any at the moment)

My host won't care about it most likely (i'm not on shared hosting....a friend hosts my site on his server in his office, and it's pretty well protected anyway...he doesn't care what I run on my webspace as long as it doesn't take up too much of his server's space).

I'll give that a go once I can find someone I know that will upload it for me (ftp is not working from my connection at the moment).
    Last edited by CSCenter; 07-17-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Are you having ssh/ftp issues to everywhere or just this office computer? If you have ssh/ftp problems everywhere then your ISP must be incompetent to not see it.

Are you sure this isn't just a firewall issue at his office?

It is also possible that the ISP blocks port 6667 which is fairly common for most cable providers to block it outbound.

I cannot ssh or ftp to anywhere. The connection is stopped by something.

It's unlikely to be a firewall issue, and if it was, he would get it fixed quickly, so that's not the case. Other poeple are connected to the irc server he's running with no problems. (I managed to connect once before getting disconnected)

Also, when my irc server manages to link to his, it disconnects after a few minutes with a ping timeout, which is pointing to the connection being terminated by my isp for some reason (I haven't asked them about that, since i'm not technically allowed to run servers on my connection, but what they don't know can't hurt me....I believe the terms of use is that it is allowed, but that if it is using too much resources...they can block it....i'm the only person ever connected to mine though so it's not using too many resources)

His ISP doesn't block ports (it's a business line, so all ports are open, and he's allowed to run servers).

My ISP blocks 6667 inbound, but have never blocked outbound connections. (It isn't cable...it's ADSL) Even if they had started doing that, which I know they haven't, connections on 7000 to servers that I know are listening on that port do not work either, and I can see no reason for them to block it.

I'm beginning to think that the person I got through to yesterday when I phoned my isp was incompetent (I got through to an indian callcenter unfortunately, and while i've no problem with indians...most of the time they are reading from a script, which is not helpful)

There are a bunch of web interfaces to IRC. Why don't you use them:

http://www.google.com.pk/search?q=ir...ient=firefox-a

http://www.web-irc.org/

Everything I found used Java, meaning it ran locally on my computer, thus having the same restrictions as my connection.

However, in the last hour, it appears my isp has either changed something, or fixed whatever was wrong ,and I can now connect to everything again.

The script that serFish uses is called Ajaxterm: http://antony.lesuisse.org/software/ajaxterm/
    I am personally working on a project, based on this script, which I intend to keep free to the public.
    Victor Lugo
    Systems Administrator

Hi,

I run an IRC server myself and deal with people behind very restrictive firewalls myself. I use to run a cgi script (cgiirc), but after mibbit.com came out with their service, I always direct users there.

There are a lot of irc shells out there that are also free.

It also might be possible to write a quick and dirty php script (once again, google is your answer) that relays ssh commands to a server via http, I don't know though if php is enabled on your shell.

The problem that I was having has now reocurred again. I've downloaded phpterm, and configured the username and password like so:

$passwd = array('username' => 'pass'); (Not my actual username and pass obviously)
    $aliases = array('la' => 'ls -la',
    'll' => 'ls -lvhF',
    'dir' => 'ls' );

However, after uploading it via a web based ftp service, I cannot connect.

When asked for the username and password, it does not accept it.

Does anyone have any idea whether the way i've cofigured it is correct?

It was due to internet explorer 8....the password is accepted in firefox, but there are other errors, presumably due to certain things not being on the server due to it being a windows machine.