Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    This is server good for me?

    I am newbie for web hosting.Just about to colo my server.

    Is there any expert who can take a look at this server config
    and tell me if it is good for me.There will be 2 new ecommerce websites on this server. What will be considered when we choose
    1U server?Any comments will be welcomed.Thanks.

    SERVER CHASSIS (Black Chassis version) upermicro SC512F-280B 1U Black Chassis w/280W PSU

    POWER SUPPLY: Supermicro 280W 1U power supply PWS-281-1H

    SERVER BOARD upermicro X7DVL-E Server Board

    INTEL® CPU PROCESSOR 1 :Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5405 Processor 2.00GHz 1333MHz

    INTEL® CPU PROCESSOR 2 :Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5405 Processor 2.00GHz 1333MHz

    No IPMI Management Card.
    MEMORY DIMM 1 (Memory should be installed in equal pairs) : Total 16GB, 4pcs of Kingston 4GB DDR2 667MHZ FB-DIMM ECC KVR667D2D4F5/4G

    RAID CONTROLLER INTEGRATED :Intel ESB2 SATA 3.0Gbps Controller (Supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 Windows Only)

    INTERNAL HARD DRIVE: 2pcs of Seagate SATAII 160GB

    NETWORK CARD :Intel PWLA8490MT PRO/1000 MT PCI-X Single Port GB-LAN Adaptor Card

    VIDEO CARD :Integrated ATI ES1000 controller with 16 MB of video memory

    WARRANTY: 1 YEAR DEPOT LIMITED SERVER WARRANTY

    PRICE:$1732.13

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    604
    How resource intensive are your eCommerce websites?

    The server you have spec'd out is pretty powerful and it should be able to handle 2 eCommerce sites fine without any problems especially with 16GB RAM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    That is a very powerful server. It seems expensive, though.

    Where are you buying from?
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Eta Carinae
    Posts
    2,671
    I wish I was running on that server - very powerful server there. but you should look at the resources your sites use before spending thousands on a super powerful server you may not use fully.

    if you cut down on ram by 4, and one processor, you'd probably end up saving hundreds of dollars and at the same time, not take away any needed resources for your sites.

    But again, you'd have to look at the sites themselves - you don't want to overbuy and overpay for service/parts you will never need/use.

    Good luck...great server specs there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by topgunnnner View Post
    I am newbie for web hosting.Just about to colo my server.

    Is there any expert who can take a look at this server config
    and tell me if it is good for me.There will be 2 new ecommerce websites on this server. What will be considered when we choose
    1U server?Any comments will be welcomed.Thanks.

    SERVER CHASSIS (Black Chassis version) upermicro SC512F-280B 1U Black Chassis w/280W PSU

    POWER SUPPLY: Supermicro 280W 1U power supply PWS-281-1H

    SERVER BOARD upermicro X7DVL-E Server Board

    INTEL® CPU PROCESSOR 1 :Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5405 Processor 2.00GHz 1333MHz

    INTEL® CPU PROCESSOR 2 :Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5405 Processor 2.00GHz 1333MHz

    No IPMI Management Card.
    MEMORY DIMM 1 (Memory should be installed in equal pairs) : Total 16GB, 4pcs of Kingston 4GB DDR2 667MHZ FB-DIMM ECC KVR667D2D4F5/4G

    RAID CONTROLLER INTEGRATED :Intel ESB2 SATA 3.0Gbps Controller (Supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 Windows Only)

    INTERNAL HARD DRIVE: 2pcs of Seagate SATAII 160GB

    NETWORK CARD :Intel PWLA8490MT PRO/1000 MT PCI-X Single Port GB-LAN Adaptor Card

    VIDEO CARD :Integrated ATI ES1000 controller with 16 MB of video memory

    WARRANTY: 1 YEAR DEPOT LIMITED SERVER WARRANTY

    PRICE:$1732.13
    Not to be rude, almost everything is wrong with this!!!

    1. For 1700 dollars, you should be looking at Nehalems for the same price.
    Get Dual E5504s(not E5405s which is Penryn). A Dell R410 is probably what I would recommend for 1700 dollars.

    2. 280W is not enough for FB-DIMM based Dual Penryns. 2*80W CPUs+20W chipset+30W FB-DIMMs+20W hard drives + 80% efficiency PS, you will blow out the 280W power supply. Look for a 360W or 520W or 560W Supermicro if you really have to do this. I recommend the SC111T-560CB chassis, 80plus silver rated.

    3. Just get a Dell R410 dude, you won't regret it.

    Oh one more thing. If you are getting the specs today from a vendor who is still building E5405 system with FB-DIMMs on a 5000V chipset motherboard, you should dump the vendor as soon as possible, because he doesn't know crap.
    Last edited by tshen83; 07-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.

  6. #6
    I agree. The power supply will get really hot and probably die. You should play it safe and get a higher wattage Power supply. Check out some of their barebone servers like a Superserver 6015V-TB. You would only have to install the memory/CPU/HDD everything else is included. Is the priced you received in USD?
    Customer Support
    LevelHosting Inc. - Hosting at your level!
    Includes: Managed Support, cPanel, Softaculous, Ksplice and 24/7 Email and Ticket Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    I dont want to start a debate but why is everybody recomming now Nehalems over E55xx chips? Just because they support DDR3 Ram?

    I see E55xx chips as way better then Nehalems, which just because are new doesnt mean they will be long on the server market. Nehalems are not for servers like the 5xx and 7xxx series Xeon. I thougth Nehalems are for middle servers/home small office. I now everyone is buying then but because they are new and bit more powerfull but that doesnt mean they are made for servers. I asked this before and nobody could agree on why. Im going to buy 2 other servers in the next couple of days and I was going to go agani with 5xxx chips intead of Nehalem. But im tempted, i just dont want some servers that are crap in the next 12 months, which is what I feel about Nehalems. I would go with 7xxx series but they are just to expensive. 3xxx are for small business/home and 5xxx are middle. I would fit the Nehalems as the new 3xxx from Intel. I really wish im wrong and someones proofs otherwise why the Nehalems are so great. I feel Intel is going to launch a new server line model pretty soon. Probably the new chipsets for servers and bye, bye Nehalems investments. I can build a nice 3000$ server, quad core running x5 chipsets. I can build a less cheaper Nehalem server and they are way cheaper which makes me feel something is not good about them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    I dont want to start a debate but why is everybody recomming now Nehalems over E55xx chips? Just because they support DDR3 Ram?

    I see E55xx chips as way better then Nehalems, which just because are new doesnt mean they will be long on the server market. Nehalems are not for servers like the 5xx and 7xxx series Xeon. I thougth Nehalems are for middle servers/home small office. I now everyone is buying then but because they are new and bit more powerfull but that doesnt mean they are made for servers. I asked this before and nobody could agree on why. Im going to buy 2 other servers in the next couple of days and I was going to go agani with 5xxx chips intead of Nehalem. But im tempted, i just dont want some servers that are crap in the next 12 months, which is what I feel about Nehalems. I would go with 7xxx series but they are just to expensive. 3xxx are for small business/home and 5xxx are middle. I would fit the Nehalems as the new 3xxx from Intel. I really wish im wrong and someones proofs otherwise why the Nehalems are so great. I feel Intel is going to launch a new server line model pretty soon. Probably the new chipsets for servers and bye, bye Nehalems investments. I can build a nice 3000$ server, quad core running x5 chipsets. I can build a less cheaper Nehalem server and they are way cheaper which makes me feel something is not good about them.
    Are you on crack? Xeon 5500 series is Nehalem-EP. Nehalem is the code name for a family of CPUs ranging from core i7 brand name to the Nehalem-EP which is the 2P Xeon version. 7xxx series are Dunningtons. 7500 series Nehalem-EX will come out in a few month. 54xx are Penryn family, code named Harpertown.

    I recommended Xeon 5500 series over the Xeon 5400 the OP was thinking about buying with FB-DIMM and 5000V chipset. Reading what you wrote ....well...let's just stop here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post
    Are you on crack? Xeon 5500 series is Nehalem-EP. Nehalem is the code name for a family of CPUs ranging from core i7 brand name to the Nehalem-EP which is the 2P Xeon version. 7xxx series are Dunningtons. 7500 series Nehalem-EX will come out in a few month. 54xx are Penryn family, code named Harpertown.

    I recommended Xeon 5500 series over the Xeon 5400 the OP was thinking about buying with FB-DIMM and 5000V chipset. Reading what you wrote ....well...let's just stop here.
    I made a typo. Yes, I use Harpertowns, and I would not change them. They are fine chips. You can get a 54xxx with more cache then Nehalems. 2x12MB against only 2x8 MB. 54xxx which you get 8x3.00GHz chipset against 8x2.93GHz not to mention bus speed is also faster.

    I would love to have 16 cores chipsets but the only reason I dont buy them is because it would not be a safe investment as Intel is going to launch new series to replace that model.
    Last edited by nibb; 07-16-2009 at 08:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    I made a typo. Yes, I use Harpertowns, and I would not change them. They are fine chips. You can get a 54xxx with more cache then Nehalems. 2x12MB against only 2x8 MB. 54xxx which you get 8x3.00GHz chipset against 8x2.93GHz not to mention bus speed is also faster.

    I would love to have 16 cores chipsets but the only reason I dont buy them is because it would not be a safe investment as Intel is going to launch new series to replace that model.
    I can respectfully tell you that data does not support your opinion.

    1. 54xx was fine on San clemente 5100 chipset. A lot of web companies adopted L54xx series with san clemente for major clusters. Even L54xx can only get about 1000 ssj_ops/watt points in SpecPower 2008 test.
    http://www.spec.org/power_ssj2008/re...103-00094.html

    The best Nehalem-EPs aka the L5520 and X5570 can both reach 1800 ssj_ops/watt, beating the L54xx series by as much as 80%, and beating the E54xx by as much as 100%. All this from a change in architecture and no process shrink. This has been the largest jump in performance per watt in one generation in the last decade.

    http://www.spec.org/power_ssj2008/re...325-00136.html

    2. Your argument that 54xx series has 24MB L2 cache and a "faster bus speed" is totally irrelevant. 54xx series needed 24MB L2 cache so that it doesn't flood the stupidly outdated FSBs. 3Ghz E54xx Penryn is hardly competitive because we can no longer evaluate CPU performance by Mhz and core count any more.

    3. Intel will always launch new models to replace the current generation. From a depreciation schedule perspective, both 54xx and 55xx series Xeons experience the same depreciation whether Intel launchs new CPUs or not. If you picked the CPUs right, the L5520 will hold the majority of the value in the coming years even when 6 core Westmere Gulftowns gets released.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    I made a typo. Yes, I use Harpertowns, and I would not change them. They are fine chips. You can get a 54xxx with more cache then Nehalems. 2x12MB against only 2x8 MB. 54xxx which you get 8x3.00GHz chipset against 8x2.93GHz not to mention bus speed is also faster.

    I would love to have 16 cores chipsets but the only reason I dont buy them is because it would not be a safe investment as Intel is going to launch new series to replace that model.
    the main reason the Nehalem-EP based Xeon E55xx's don't "need" large L2 is because the north-bridge (memory controller) has been integrated on processor die. all older Xeon's, including harpertown's, requires very large L2 cache in order to compensate the disadvantage of off-processor memory controller hub (MCH) which is dictated by much, much slower front-side-bus design.

    the bottom line is that at equal clock speed, Xeon Gainestown (nehalem EP) outperforms Xeon harptertown by 30%+ for all server apps according to benchmarks we've seen. since E5504 costs the same with E5405, there is really no point to hang around the old technology.

  12. #12
    this is from serverdirect, i think the price is still negotiable though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    That is a very powerful server. It seems expensive, though.

    Where are you buying from?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post
    I can respectfully tell you that data does not support your opinion.

    1. 54xx was fine on San clemente 5100 chipset. A lot of web companies adopted L54xx series with san clemente for major clusters. Even L54xx can only get about 1000 ssj_ops/watt points in SpecPower 2008 test.
    http://www.spec.org/power_ssj2008/re...103-00094.html

    The best Nehalem-EPs aka the L5520 and X5570 can both reach 1800 ssj_ops/watt, beating the L54xx series by as much as 80%, and beating the E54xx by as much as 100%. All this from a change in architecture and no process shrink. This has been the largest jump in performance per watt in one generation in the last decade.

    http://www.spec.org/power_ssj2008/re...325-00136.html

    2. Your argument that 54xx series has 24MB L2 cache and a "faster bus speed" is totally irrelevant. 54xx series needed 24MB L2 cache so that it doesn't flood the stupidly outdated FSBs. 3Ghz E54xx Penryn is hardly competitive because we can no longer evaluate CPU performance by Mhz and core count any more.

    3. Intel will always launch new models to replace the current generation. From a depreciation schedule perspective, both 54xx and 55xx series Xeons experience the same depreciation whether Intel launchs new CPUs or not. If you picked the CPUs right, the L5520 will hold the majority of the value in the coming years even when 6 core Westmere Gulftowns gets released.
    Well, im not a hardware expert, my field is ratter another one. I could be wrong and in that case i made a terrible buy and will try not to in my next servers. I will look in the data you posted with more detail, but they seem to be power stats. I dont try to rely to much on stats but real benchmarks and production servers. But said that I dont have any Nehalems to match too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Il
    Posts
    448
    look for different drives then seagate if you can, and ask for a bigger power supply, around 450 to 500 watts, maybe even 2 of them..

    Joey
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

  15. Quote Originally Posted by topgunnnner View Post
    this is from serverdirect, i think the price is still negotiable though.
    regardless where you want to buy it, ask for this setup, you won't regret it:
    dual Xeon Gainestown E5504
    supermicro X8DTL-iF dual socket 1366
    1x Dynatron G129 (passive for CPU0), 1x P199 (active for CPU1)
    18G (3x 4G, 3x 2G) ECC registered DDR3-1333 triple channel
    2x WD3200AAKS (non-RAID) or WD3202ABYS RE3
    on-board Intel 82574L dual Gb NIC
    on-board IPMI 2.0 w/KVM-over-IP & 3rd NIC
    supermicro SC811TQ-520B, 2x hot-swap SAS/SATA bays
    optional Adaptec 2405 SAS/SATA unified hardware RAID
    optional CSE-RR1U-E8 PCI-E riser card for RAID card

  16. #16
    WOW That is a very powerful server seems quite enough for two E-commerce sites.

    Good Luck.

    Binoy.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    the main reason the Nehalem-EP based Xeon E55xx's don't "need" large L2 is because the north-bridge (memory controller) has been integrated on processor die. all older Xeon's, including harpertown's, requires very large L2 cache in order to compensate the disadvantage of off-processor memory controller hub (MCH) which is dictated by much, much slower front-side-bus design.

    the bottom line is that at equal clock speed, Xeon Gainestown (nehalem EP) outperforms Xeon harptertown by 30%+ for all server apps according to benchmarks we've seen. since E5504 costs the same with E5405, there is really no point to hang around the old technology.
    When did the nehalem EP E5504 come out?
    And when did the Xeon harpertown E5405 come out?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    When did the nehalem EP E5504 come out?
    And when did the Xeon harpertown E5405 come out?
    Anyone know the answer to the question above?

  19. #19
    I guarantee that power supply will not do the job, I would look at atleast 500W for that (to be on the safe side), and even dual power supplies for redundancy.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    Who tried to sell you a 280w power supply for that configuration???...run FAST. Your CPU's will probably be installed backwards at that rate.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  21. #21
    That expensive while your choice more than 8GB with that CPUs and accessories. $1.700 for that server is waste, build 2 or more server with your money

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for good server Mother Board at good price
    By mtalaat in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
  2. A good server for Budget Resellers, but still offers good speed?
    By build-a-host in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 06:57 AM
  3. Offering a good share of space/bandwidth on my good server
    By Quik in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 11:31 PM
  4. I need a good server or good picture for this site
    By TheComputerGuy in forum Web Site Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2001, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •