What's the best confg for the following requirements?

Hey all,

First let me thank you all for supporting me in many from this forum. I now have VPS and it's running smoothly. This is for a friend of mine for small project of his. Here are the details.

My friend is building an online system for a large educational institute that has about 5000 students. I don't know what's the specifics of this project (actually i can't remember them).
    Anyways he's building this with PHP v6(dev), so i'm unable to give a space on my VPS nor will be able to find a host. If this project gets accepted and adopted by them i might have to buy a vps.

These are the requirements:

1. Handle about 1000 (may be more) visits daily by students
    2. Handle at least 100 connections simultaneously (spiking times like a full class logs into the site)
    3.webserver + PHP6 + mysql + ftp (if needed)
    4.No control panel needed.

I was thinking like 256RAM, 10GB HDD, and 100-200GB bandwidth, unmanaged vps with a budget of about $10~$2.
    Will these be good enough for the task at hand?

Thanks.

Actually, with that many connections, I would say no less than 512 megs of RAM... upward to a gig. Make sure that the coding is EXTREMELY optimized, make sure Apache only has modules it absolutely needs (go with Apache2 if possible, or even Lighy) and make sure that MySQL is optimized for the amount of RAM that you have.

I would also suggest increasing your budget considerably if you want a stable, non-oversold hosting provider.

Thanks!
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Hi,

As Douglas said, you probably want a good higher end vps, but for 100 concurrent connections, is that just for HTTP or you mean 100 concurrent MySQL connections? As that may cause issues.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

My first thought is that your seriously underestimating the amount of memory required. Serving PHP/MySQL pages to 100 simultaneous users will probably kill a 256 MB VPS really fast, unless the pages are extremely light and the programmer is a wizard

Listen to everyone here. I wouldn't go for anything under a gig... Check out wholesaleinternet, they have some budget servers on sale right now for $25-45 a month that would work a lot better for you than a vps.

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    Listen to everyone here. I wouldn't go for anything under a gig... Check out wholesaleinternet, they have some budget servers on sale right now for $25-45 a month that would work a lot better for you than a vps.
    I tend to disagree. A dedicated machine at that low a price will have a single hard disk, quite possible IDE. And that could be bottleneck just as serious as too little ram.

I'd suggest a quality VPS from a proven and reputable provider, with as much memory as can be afforded and a solid RAID-10 SAS disk infrastructure. Something like ServInt's $49 dollar plan would be a good place to start. As traffic grows you have the ability to quickly scale up as required.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I tend to disagree. A dedicated machine at that low a price will have a single hard disk, quite possible IDE. And that could be bottleneck just as serious as too little ram.

I'd suggest a quality VPS from a proven and reputable provider, with as much memory as can be afforded and a solid RAID-10 SAS disk infrastructure. Something like ServInt's $49 dollar plan would be a good place to start. As traffic grows you have the ability to quickly scale up as required.
    Wholesaleinternet is reputable and they have quality equipment. For around that same price he could get a P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD with a second in RAID-1. I guarantee that'd be more than enough to handle what he needs.

/just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    Wholesaleinternet is reputable and they have quality equipment. For around that same price he could get a P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD with a second in RAID-1. I guarantee that'd be more than enough to handle what he needs.

/just sayin'
    I didn't mean to imply that Wholesaleinternet isn't reputable

Though I don't see anything on their site like you describe for ~$50.

Thanks all for your information. I wasn't aware what are requirements needed since i haven't designed a resource intensive website before.

Well a little clarification it would be 100 simultaneous connections to apache. I don't think mysql will encounter anything more 10-20.

I can easily manage the budget so money won't be an issue.

In regards to this, what i have mentioned is like the maximum possible things. So would it be good to start off with what i mentioned and slowly upgrade towards 1GB? Otherwise jumping to a big 1 and ultimately using it less would be waste of money and resources.

You are right, if he's merely *developing* the application than your stated specs would be fine. You can upgrade when you are ready to take it into production.
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

Gayan, I still stand fast that you need at least 512 megs of RAM in hopes of having a stable platform for the site to operate on.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

I agree with RavC, if this is going to be only for development for a while, look for a company that offers you a small VPS plan, but gives you the flexibility to scale up as soon as you reach the peaks you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yes the website is still in development and it would take about another 2-6weeks for it to be finished (yet still in like alpha/beta stage). And another few weeks for it to com online IF the project is adopted by the institute.

Wot i wanted to is get a heads up as i will be in charge of hosting it, and i don't want to get a bad rep from them.