Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303

    Looking for a host

    I'm in the process of building my portfolio which once I find a webhost will be online.

    I will be using wordpress but may require other software.


    What I need.

    5GB of space
    at least 20GB of bandwidth.
    email
    databases
    Cpanel

    looking for about $40 a year and $70 for two years if possible ( I would pre-pay for a year or two) . I'm not stranger to web hosting but need a reliable host for my portfolio site.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    639
    Many host offer what you need, just check out the Find a Host at the top.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Eta Carinae
    Posts
    2,671
    it could be done but you should do research on the host before paying for it a year or two in advance because a lot of things can happen in between.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    Yes I always do research on the host im interested, I'm also looking for recommendations on that price range.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    604
    You should be able to receive tons of offers for your specs and budget, however I would recommend increasing your budget a tad bit so you can get a quality host who doesn't oversell and hence will likely have less server issues.

    Check out the web hosting offers section and start from there. Alternatively you can fill out a form at hostvoice.com and you will have hosts contacting you with their offers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    You should be able to receive tons of offers for your specs and budget, however I would recommend increasing your budget a tad bit so you can get a quality host who doesn't oversell and hence will likely have less server issues.

    Check out the web hosting offers section and start from there. Alternatively you can fill out a form at hostvoice.com and you will have hosts contacting you with their offers.
    Yeah over selling tends to be a thing where most hosts say they dont but they do. Just read reviews and ask their sales people, see how knowledge they seem to be.

  7. #7
    I'd recommend paying monthly if possible. 40$ per year is a bit, well "cheap". They are effectively giving you hosting for around $3 a month. I'd personally advise against going with 3$ and lower hosting providers, because after expenses (transaction fees, etc.) they are making hardly anything off of you. I personally recommend starting at 4$-5$ and up. You could pickup a 4$ per month provider and only end up paying $48. Although a big over your budget, you will wish you would have paid that additional extra few $ down the road I am guessing.

    Also contact a providers sales team and ask them if they are running any specials for lower pricing and or additional space/bandwidth.

    Offers section is a good place to start...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kourm View Post
    Yeah over selling tends to be a thing where most hosts say they dont but they do. Just read reviews and ask their sales people, see how knowledge they seem to be.
    A hosting provider who oversells is not a bad hosting provider, they are more then likely a "smart" hosting provider, given they know what they are doing. It's called business, and maximizing profits. Did you take business class in college? Overselling does not lead to a poor service. A poorly managed service leads to poor service.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    637
    I didn't say they were a bad provider per say. Just was saying that some hosts claim on their web site that they do not oversell but they sometimes do. Maybe not on purpose but it happens. Hosts do what they need to to make a profit etc. Just as long as it doesn't affect performance, all the power to them

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    I'd recommend paying monthly if possible. 40$ per year is a bit, well "cheap". They are effectively giving you hosting for around $3 a month. I'd personally advise against going with 3$ and lower hosting providers, because after expenses (transaction fees, etc.) they are making hardly anything off of you. I personally recommend starting at 4$-5$ and up. You could pickup a 4$ per month provider and only end up paying $48. Although a big over your budget, you will wish you would have paid that additional extra few $ down the road I am guessing.

    Also contact a providers sales team and ask them if they are running any specials for lower pricing and or additional space/bandwidth.

    Offers section is a good place to start...
    I'm flexible in price for shared hosting, I'm also considering reseller since with the 4 sites I already own, I',m planning to launch 3 more.

    I been doing my rounds with different host, though its fairly complicated to find reviews on a few. I have already been chatting with a few.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    A hosting provider who oversells is not a bad hosting provider, they are more then likely a "smart" hosting provider, given they know what they are doing. It's called business, and maximizing profits. Did you take business class in college? Overselling does not lead to a poor service. A poorly managed service leads to poor service.
    Always a good reminder to counter the over enthusiastic/undereducated people raving about oversold hosting...thank you!
    Compare Web Hosting Services
    Shop, compare and save! Information, reviews and more...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Pica$$o View Post
    I been doing my rounds with different host, though its fairly complicated to find reviews on a few. I have already been chatting with a few.

    Just for the sake of the forum searchers...

    Who are the few you've narrowed it down to and why?

    Just curious.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    What I looked at so far, I haven't narrowed it down to anyone yet. I looked at a few others that I can't remember. DTH because I used the successfully all others just pricing.

    Downtownhost
    VectorLevel
    Host Media UK
    Namecheap
    Godaddy
    I think its MDDhosting or something like that.

    So far not set on anything yet.

  14. #14
    Best one Ive found so far is 2.99 per month for a year (its in the Uk though), its 5gb of webspace, 400 templates, 1 domain name, 24/7 support:-

    Search BT web hosting.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    So what is 2.99 per month for a year in U.S. pricing?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    2,750
    Are you sure you need 5GB diskspace for a Wordpress site? Your budget seems pretty reasonable - but if your unsure about which host i'd suggest using a host for a month before committing to a long term contract with them - if that month brings horrible service/support it's easier to move on and your not out of pocket

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Are you sure you need 5GB diskspace for a Wordpress site? Your budget seems pretty reasonable - but if your unsure about which host i'd suggest using a host for a month before committing to a long term contract with them - if that month brings horrible service/support it's easier to move on and your not out of pocket

    Good point,

    Well my site will be a portfolio site which will include my work in photography/web/ and eventually film so the more space the better.

    I tried to avoid bad host as much as possible, so I do a lot of research before I settle with a host, i.e. checking reviews, down time, etc. Paying yearly is easier for me, just makes it less of a hassle paying every month.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    2,750
    Good luck in your hunt

    I can't imagine you'd need 5GB for what you want to use the space for unless your film's are large and not optomizied and even then it might be best to use something like Youtube and link to the films?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Good luck in your hunt

    I can't imagine you'd need 5GB for what you want to use the space for unless your film's are large and not optomizied and even then it might be best to use something like Youtube and link to the films?

    or an ever growing catalog of photography I could always use less which will probably be the case but would always like a buffer zone.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    2,750
    Do you optomise your photos or just transfer from memory card to PC to webspace?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Do you optomise your photos or just transfer from memory card to PC to webspace?

    Everything gets optimized through photoshop, cropped, reduced, watermarked

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    2,750
    You'd have to be a very happy snapper to fill 5GB then with optomisied images, start with something from as little as 500mb/1GB and upgrade as needed

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sputnik's World
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    You'd have to be a very happy snapper to fill 5GB then with optomisied images, start with something from as little as 500mb/1GB and upgrade as needed
    If we are talking portfolio quality, you'd be surprised how quickly that would fill up. Really surprised. Had to buy my husband a new hard drive to handle his pictures/videos and backups, and that was before his new camera! Between the HD vid camera, and his new DLSR, I'm expecting to be told he needs yet another hard drive soon.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    My last backup of family photos.... was nearly 22GB. With kids and lots of events, it can easily be large.

    I can understand
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    303
    well I found a host that I'm trying now, on a reseller plan. I will let you know after 30 days what I decide but so far so good.

    oh yes, for those reading this please don't spam me via PM, thanks.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    10,482
    oh yes, for those reading this please don't spam me via PM, thanks.
    If you had received any, Please do report them
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 02:49 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 02:53 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
  5. [SECURE] Setting up a FREE Webhost/Image Host/Forum Host/Blog Host
    By mouseattack in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •