Reseller and Shared Hosting Dead?

Any other company having trouble selling reseller and shared hosting? It seems like everyone is looking for a VPS these days.

Nope, far from it

Talking

Not here. VPS and shared reseller each have their place in the market.
    Last edited by HostYourIdea; 07-16-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by creepin View Post
    Any other company having trouble selling reseller and shared hosting? It seems like everyone is looking for a VPS these days.
    Actually the total of VPS offers seem to get lower again for my feeling; but to answer your question; no, shared hosting and/or reseller hosting are not having any kinds of problems, the vps market it is a different market and thus different customers.

You will even see VPS customers which still have a shared or reseller account elsewhere as well.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 07-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I've have to say that we're not seeing this either. I'm actually seeing a rise in shared web hosting.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

No, I don't think so as a reseller or shared hosting is first preferred option for many newbies customers to get start.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Interesting.. maybe I'm targeting the wrong crowd. It seems when I spend money on advertising, I don't get a good ROI.

Anyway, I appreciate your input guys.

Shared/Reseller is selling just fine here

I wouldn't say it's dead.

Shared / VPS are 2 different targeted markets.

There sure is a VPS mania going on, with "go for a VPS" recommended as if it is some sort of panacea.

If we are to take the traffic and amount of discussions on WHT as any guidance, the VPS section has been, for some time now, several times more active than the reseller section. So, at least here, VPS has been gaining ground.

The appearance of true budget VPS offers (even if unmanaged) has sure put the VPS on the map of many users. It remains to be seen how the hypervm story will affect things, if any.

It's not dead in the Philippines. It is actually thriving as there are plenty of 'late adopters' in my country.
    WEB.COM.PH Inc.
    Domain Registration | Shared Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Server Management
    http://web.com.ph

It's booming like never before actually. There will always be a demand for shared hosting especially as not all entrepreneurs are tech savvy and not everyone needs a Virtual Server and/or a Dedicated Server for that matter of fact.

I do not believe shared hosting will ever be dead. Lot of surfers out there cannot manage VPS or server, so they will stay with shared hosting.

Currently I offer only shared hosting plans. They are as of now a premium service at a premium price (100% uptime, mirrored servers for redundancy).

I am considering running a separate but congruent website to offer reseller hosting. My costs for such would be relatively low, though there'd be a time investment.

Is there a solid market for non-budget reseller hosting? Most of the reseller hosting I see is roughly the same price as my shared offerings, a price war I'm not willing to participate in.
    Sean Shepard
    http://www.Ethoshosting.com - Socially Responsible Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Ethoshostingcom View Post
    Currently I offer only shared hosting plans. They are as of now a premium service at a premium price (100% uptime, mirrored servers for redundancy).

I am considering running a separate but congruent website to offer reseller hosting. My costs for such would be relatively low, though there'd be a time investment.

Is there a solid market for non-budget reseller hosting? Most of the reseller hosting I see is roughly the same price as my shared offerings, a price war I'm not willing to participate in.
    Of course there is a market; the only challenge is to reach and convince those customers; We do not operate much different, and do not want to participate in that price range you mentioned either nor we believe that is a requirement to operate a successful business in this industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethoshostingcom View Post
    It's roughly the same as asking if there's a market for fancy restaurants when there are so many fast food places. If you're offering steak, people EXPECT to pay more than they would for a mcdonalds double cheeseburger. The trick of course, is to convince potential clients that your service is in fact "steak worthy".

As for the opening topic, it's nowhere near dead. If you're having trouble online, try out the local market, ESPECIALLY if you have a site builder and/or fantastico. The local market is "less competitve" for obvious reasons, and you'd be amazed at the number of people that have been DYING to get their own domain for a blog/forum, but just didn't know where to start.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Hello!
    As of my experience i never had any problem selling shared hosting plan. I feel it is still in huge demand.

Regards,
    Ritesh Jain

No it's not dead, and i don't think it will ever be. There are allot of people out there that quest for small shared packages for personal sites, and to be honest VPS and Dedicated is mostly used for business.