Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Getting Sick of Staminus

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong location to be posting this. If it is, feel free to let me know where it belongs and I will move it if a mod doesn't get to it first.

Well we signed up with a special Staminus was giving about a month ago (bought several servers since there was no limit), and we have had nothing but problems. There are outages every few hours, and their tech support isn't that great either (took us over an hour to get a reboot because their remote reboot system wasn't working.

I am just confused, because we researched them a huge amount, and all I could find were good reviews about how they were a great provider, and now we're experiencing the exact opposite. Our main provider is basically the best in the country, and maybe I'm just not use to normal places?

I am not trying to attack them in any way, I am just very frustrated and wish to see if anyone else is having the same issues I am having.

Thanks!
    Karl Stallknecht
    Slable :: powerful solutions. right price.
    Hosting | I.T. Solutions | Voice :: Cloud Telecom | Entertainment
    Phone: (703) 445-3391
      0 Not allowed!

And by the way I should have also mentioned, I know this isn't a problem between me and Staminus, because all of the applications we are utilizing are running on the same server that is using the bandwidth, and we lose connection to the server and then look at the bandwidth graphs and 80+mbits of bandwidth has dropped down to 0mbits.
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

When your server bandwidth drops from 80 Mbps do 0 Mbps; are the servers themselves still online and reachable (ie. you can ping them / log in to them)?

If so, then perhaps it's a problem more at the application layer (ie. process bloat or some sort of resource starvation issue).

Do you have any out-of-band administration options that you can try if that happens again (these can be used even if the network on the server stops responding)?
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

I was told directly from an employee at Staminus that they had a router issue the other day without the backup kicking in. That's most likely what was the cause of your issue
    Jon Stephenson
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by msherman View Post
    When your server bandwidth drops from 80 Mbps do 0 Mbps; are the servers themselves still online and reachable (ie. you can ping them / log in to them)?
    Nope, they go completely unreachable for about 10-15 minutes.

Do you have any out-of-band administration options that you can try if that happens again (these can be used even if the network on the server stops responding)?
    Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean?
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CompuSite View Post
    I was told directly from an employee at Staminus that they had a router issue the other day without the backup kicking in. That's most likely what was the cause of your issue
    No, these are issues that have been happening before and after the router issue.
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kwdservices View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean?

By out-of-band I mean access to a serial console or KVM over IP or some other way to access the machine should it no longer be reachable over the network.

That way when the server is not reachable you can still log in to the server and see what's going on.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

By out-of-band I mean access to a serial console or KVM over IP or some other way to access the machine should it no longer be reachable over the network.

That way when the server is not reachable you can still log in to the server and see what's going on.
    Oh duh, my bad. Unless it came free and we weren't told about it, we don't have any sort of way in such as KVMoverIP besides RDC.
    Last edited by slable; 07-16-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

This customer is posting false data. The customer is facing issues at their server due to misconfiguration. We have other customers pushing traffic just fine. Frankly, traffic drops are not a 'network trait' or induced condition.

Sometimes you just can't please customers. This is one of those customers that complains consistently. No matter what, they complain

Please do refrain from posting inaccuracies. It taints the quality of these boards and damages your own reputation.
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.
      0 Not allowed!

Here are some anonymous customer graphs.

The first shows smooth daily traffic for the approximate period this particular person is reporting issues. I cannot post kwd's graph for security reasons, however it is very clear to not be network related, as seen here

The second is another customer graph showing monthly traffic. As noted, the traffic is very consistent with excellent peaks.

Both these customers share the same segment with kwd.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that some people are simply disgruntled in nature. We try to appease everyone but alas it's simply not possible! Nevertheless, we always do like to offer a lending hand.

Mr. or Mrs. kwdservices, if you are having issues, please open a ticket in the help desk. We'll be more than happy to try and diagnose your configuration issue. I understand it is beyond our 'unmanaged' hosting, however you seem to need some assistance! If we come empty-handed, we can then recommend a third-party management company that is more specialized in these matters.

I wish the best of luck to you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graph1.png   graph2.png  
    Matt Mahvi
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't want to start an argument here, but you yourself, Matt, admitted that there was a problem with one of your switches and we worked out a time to make the replacement. Now you are the one posting inaccurate information saying that nothing is wrong. This is both concerning and confusing and I don't understand it at all. Matt and I spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes yesterday afternoon, and he was very happy to help us and resolve the issue saying that the issue was the fault of one of his switches and that it would be replaced Saturday morning as soon as the UPS shipment came in. In fact, I think it is suppose to be happening any minute now. I thought we had come to an agreement yesterday, but apparently not.

We have complained about two issues, one where the automatic reboot didn't work and one where our servers were randomly cutting out. Both of these issues you took fault for and fixed (one of them will be fixed later today actually). Now you post this out of the blue when I thought we had everything worked out. Something doesn't make much sense here.

I have attached our bandwidth graphs for everyone to take a look at, and there is something wrong in my opinion with the network. Streaming media is being done on this server, and the server is getting its source from the same server, so it’s not like this is an issue where the server looses the source's connection. We have two servers on different configurations both of which are experiencing the issue. If you look closely on our weekly graph, the traffic is not as even as it should be, and this is due to the sudden drops. In the multi week graph that Matt posted, that is unable to show any brief outages due to the scale at which it is drawn.

We don't complain constantly unless you are at fault of something. Even if one of our upstream providers has an issue, which you blame to be the cause frequently, it is still your fault because you have contracted with the upstream for a service, and that service isn't working so you need to follow up with them regarding the issues. Also, to re-word that, we never complain consistently. Even if there is an issue on your side, we will not complain to you about it without first seeing if it is recurring. I am very cautious about not over complaining to someone to get something done or fixed. I make sure to follow up on things that are suppose to be done to make sure that they are done, but I do not whine or threaten anyone.

Speaking of threatening, I received this lovely email from Matt this morning:

------
    Hello,
    You are in violation of our TOS section 4.4(b). You have posted the following:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=staminus

Please request immediately closure of this thread. If any further violations occur, we will be forced to take immediate action to rectify the situation.
    ------

As far as I know, what I am doing is free speech. From the start of this thread I did not come on bashing Staminus or any of its employees, I simply wanted to see if anyone else was having issues with them. I apologize for my comments being taken as inaccurate information.

I'll admit that I am not most knowledgeable person, but I have a team of people working with me to run an honest Virginia business (corporation registered in the state of Virginia) and we make sure things are working correctly and will not think twice about spending the money to have a management company fix any issues that are beyond us; however, if it is an issue on the data center's side, no management company can resolve the issue. We know more about the business side of things then most people do, and are 100% honest.

I normally refrain from replying to threads like this, but since I feel that inaccurate information is being posted I find that it is necessary to shed light to some of those things for the sake of my reputation and my company's reputation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and my apologies to anyone who I have upset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mrtg-image.png   mrtg-image2.png  
    Last edited by slable; 07-18-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to Include Attachments
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

Well it looks like we were just shut off. I am sorry it had to come to this as we were almost back to normal. I checked with our attorney, and nothing we did violated that section in their TOS. See below:

Dear Karl Stallknecht,
    Your service has been suspended due to the following reason:

TOS VIOLATION: SECTION 4.4(b)

If you have any questions, please contact support@staminus.net.

Sincerely,
    Staminus Communications
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

kwd, I'm not sure what you're talking about. There was an upstream issue a few days ago that we made sure to let our customers know about. Like I said, your issues are related to mismanagement and we'll be more than happy to assist you. Not knowing how to do something is not an issue. Trying to blame others for it is a little disconcerting and unbecoming of a company

There are no graphs attacked, but I would certainly love you to post your graphs that clearly show a drop in traffic that remains down, a clear indication of either a) a misconfiguration issue or b) simply a drop in user load. This is of course in lieu of the graphs I posted showing consistent traffic use by other customers at the same time.

Free speech is great. It doesn't apply when you post false information. Then it's called entertainment, or if we were to take it a bit more harsh, defamation. Either way, you are definitely out of line
    Matt Mahvi
      0 Not allowed!

Out of curiosity, I wanted to take a look at Section 4.4(b) of your TOS. I don't think it was linked anywhere from the main site, but google got me http://www.staminus.net/?link=tos

4.4 Customer represents and warrants that it will: (a) not utilize (or allow utilization of) the Services in a manner that: (i) is prohibited by any law or regulation or STAMINUS COMMUNICATIONS policy, or to facilitate the violation of any law or regulation or such policy; or (ii) will disrupt third parties' use or enjoyment of any communications service or outlet; (b) maintain strict confidentiality regarding all information, actions, and policies of STAMINUS COMMUNICATIONS, its associates, and affiliates from any parties not involved in this agreement; (c) not violate or tamper with the security of any STAMINUS COMMUNICATIONS computer equipment or program; and (d) have an agreement with each Customer end user sufficient to comply with the terms herein.
    I don't know. That just seems kind of all encompassing in this context ... and maybe not 100% right using that clause to shut down an account due to posting a bad review.
      0 Not allowed!

We have not shut anyone down

Our goal there is to have customers contact us and only us regarding issues. This thread is not a bad review thread. In fact, if anything, the user does mention:

"...all I could find were good reviews about how they were a great provider"

This is basically a help desk ticket that has found its way to this forum. It is my firm belief the customer has some kind of hardware/software compatibility issue that will likely be resolved as soon as we can take this discussion off a public forum and into the help desk where it belongs.

There is a reason why we have so many good reviews. We have been in business for 10 years now almost entirely through referrals and high customer retention rates
    Matt Mahvi
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TowerOfPower View Post
    Out of curiosity, I wanted to take a look at Section 4.4(b) of your TOS. I don't think it was linked anywhere from the main site, but google got me http://www.staminus.net/?link=tos

I don't know. That just seems kind of all encompassing in this context ... and maybe not 100% right using that clause to shut down an account due to posting a bad review.
    See the thing is, this wasn't even a review. My only intent was to see if anyone else was experiencing these issues. If no one else was, then it would have told me that both Staminus and our company needed to further investigate. I have spoken with legal counsel and was told that nothing we did in this thread violates that clause. Thanks for your comments TowerofPower, as I agree with them.

Now I see why there are no bad reviews, because every time someone posts something bad, they are at the mercy of Staminus. Our systems are designed to automatically rollover if there are any outages, so at the moment we are not hurting from them shutting us off. We were told by Matt that unless we posted back that we lied, we were 100% incorrect, and that we apologize for the disturbance, that our service will not be restored. I have no problem with apologizing for any disturbance this may have caused; however, I would be untruthful if I were to state that I lied, simply because I didn't. All of the information I have posted in this thread is correct to the best of my knowledge, especially the information in this particular post.

I am even more concerned now, because I spoke with Matt and he claimed to have never mentioned anything to me about a new switch or a shipment from UPS, and all they are doing is changing configuration on the switch today. Not sure where this came from since I spoke with him for about 30 minutes yesterday and he explained that they needed to replace a switch, as I stated earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by toro View Post
    That is 100% incorrect. Your company shut off both of our servers.

Our goal there is to have customers contact us and only us regarding issues. This thread is not a bad review thread. In fact, if anything, the user does mention:
    My point exactly. However, you stated to me on the phone that the thread was in fact a bad review thread. We opened numerous tickets, all of which were immediately closed and a reply was given that nothing was wrong, or that there was an issue with their upstream provider. I was not using the forum as a way to get our dilemma resolved, I was simply trying to see if anyone else had issues.

To continue with my concerns, I told Matt first thing when I made the first post that I had made it, and he did not object in any way shape or form or show any signs that he was upset. Why was it that we didn't get a complaint until today?

Anyways, this whole issue has gotten out of hand and I am shocked at the way it has been handled. We do not wish to do business with a company that treats us like this. I hate to get into arguments like these, but it is necessary to do so to maintain the integrity of our company and all of its employees.
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

No dog in this hunt, but I find it mildly ironic that they suspend your account citing 4.4b or whatever the clause, but they in turn try to defend their stance using, by what would seem to be the very cause of your suspension by using confidential information themselves.

Shut off and Suspension are two very different things. Shut off means you cannot access it all. Suspended (temporary) in this case, means you conform and they will turn it back on. I have another for the action, but of course I will not utter the word.

No doubt they are probably a good company. The reaction though seems a little defensive, but of course, I am not in the hosting business... and every time I read these posts... I know why.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

Very good points Mike. I appreciate the clarification between shut off and suspension.

Thanks.
    Karl Stallknecht
      0 Not allowed!

redmeds, we have not released any confidential information. In fact, we have even addressed this user as 'kwd' or 'kwdservices', never even mentioning their name. We never posted their graphs. We never provided any details regarding their account. The furthest we have gone was to simply mention that the issue they are explaining in this thread seem to be related to compatibility problems that can be easily fixed. I'm a bit curious what you're referring to, perhaps you can pm me a clarification

Kwd,
    It certainly is distressing when users post false information over and over again. I'm not sure where you're getting 'UPS' from. Perhaps you're speaking to someone else and confusing it with us

I also never asked you to lie on the forums. You seem to be doing that on your own without any help from us. In fact, doesn't that seem very far-fetched? Would we seriously ask you to LIE? Doubtful.

I have asked you several times to move your isolated issue to the help desk. Since your issues are restricted to just you, this issue is not a network problem, it is not a Staminus-related issue. It is related to your servers only.

Your thread may contain some positive elements, but it is certainly misleading. We've offered quite a few avenues for you to get assistance, but you seem to consistently be dissatisfied and more interested in defamatory remarks.

Making mistakes is not a problem. Rectifying those mistakes is the key to success. Conversely, sticking to the same old story that you've been spinning this whole time will not get you anywhere. I strongly recommend that you retract your poor and incorrect remarks, and move this discussion to our help desk so that we can continue providing you the excellent service we have provided you thus far, and provide all our other customers.
    Last edited by toro; 07-18-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Matt Mahvi
      0 Not allowed!

Making mistakes is not a problem. Rectifying those mistakes is the key to success. Conversely, sticking to the same old story that you've been spinning this whole time will not get you anywhere. I strongly recommend that you retract your poor and incorrect remarks, and move this discussion to our help desk so that we can continue providing you the excellent service we have provided you thus far, and provide all our other customers.
    I disagree and I find it pretty disgusting that you would "suspend" this person's service because they shared what their experience was. I don't see anything in the OP's post that is "poor" or "incorrect", it was his experience and you're holding their service hostage in an attempt to get him to change his story. That's pathetic.

To the OP, good luck with this, but If I were you, I'd abandon this company and leave them behind in the dirt, where they belong. I know they'd never get any business from me.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm confused because the OP said you did shut down his two servers, so it seems you are also not being "truthful".
    Last edited by Sheps; 07-21-2009 at 04:56 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

sirius,
    We don't make it a business to suspend service due to experiences shared and certainly did not do it in this case. Perhaps if you read through the thread, you'll realize the poster has been having issues outside the control of Staminus, and decided it was best to get resolution by posting half-truths here.

Your loaded statement is very interesting. You have no experience with Staminus, and obviously didn't bother to research our broad company history, yet you so strongly express your opinion, an opinion based on at best, a loose observation of this thread. Kudos, keep up the good work, 'Community Liaison 2.0'

JohnCrowley,
    We cannot release customer information or customer status-related information on a public forum. I'm sorry.

This thread has gone on for far too long. Our repeated requests for this topic to be moved to our customer help desk have been ignored. It is very obvious this user's intentions were to receive resolution to their issues. However, posting here is certainly not going to achieve that. As I said before, mistakes happen, but trying to further your goals by sticking to this mistakes will only cause problems. I humbly ask the user to request assistance via our help desk.
    Last edited by toro; 07-18-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Matt Mahvi
      0 Not allowed!

We don't make it a business to suspend service due to experiences shared and certainly did not do it in this case. Perhaps if you read through the thread, you'll realize the poster has been having issues outside the control of Staminus, and decided it was best to get resolution by posting half-truths here.
    Really? Seems pretty clear that you suspended his services because of his post here, which again, was his opinion of the services that has been rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by kwdservices
    Well it looks like we were just shut off. I am sorry it had to come to this as we were almost back to normal. I checked with our attorney, and nothing we did violated that section in their TOS. See below:

Dear Karl Stallknecht,
    Your service has been suspended due to the following reason:

TOS VIOLATION: SECTION 4.4(b)

If you have any questions, please contact support@staminus.net.

Sincerely,
    Staminus Communications
    Your loaded statement is very interesting. You have no experience with Staminus, and obviously didn't bother to research our broad company history, yet you so strongly express your opinion, an opinion based on at best, a loose observation of this thread. Kudos, keep up the good work, 'Community Liaison 2.0'
    Yes, even us lowly Community Liaison 2.0's are allowed to express our opinion. I stand behind it, your actions are abhorant and I'd never do business with you based on what I've seen here. In fact, I suggested the same to the OP, but I'm pretty sure he's figured that out by now. Anyone that would suspend a users service based on their opinion of the service, is quite honestly, sad.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius
    Really? Seems pretty clear that you suspended his services because of his post here, which again, was his opinion of the services that has been rendered.
    Incorrect. It may seem clear to you buy again, you seem to have a loose grasp of what is happening here at best

Quote Originally Posted by sirius
    Yes, even us lowly Community Liaison 2.0's are allowed to express our opinion. I stand behind it, your actions are abhorant and I'd never do business with you based on what I've seen here. In fact, I suggested the same to the OP, but I'm pretty sure he's figured that out by now. Anyone that would suspend a users service based on their opinion of the service, is quite honestly, sad.
    WHT is certainly a great place for open and honest discussion. However, from time to time there are people who continue threads aimlessly for the sake of increasing their post count, or to simply see themselves talk. Opinions are one thing, informed opinions are another. Falling in the latter category is the trick
    Matt Mahvi
      0 Not allowed!

However, from time to time there are people who continue threads aimlessly for the sake of increasing their post count, or to simply see themselves talk. Opinions are one thing, informed opinions are another. Falling in the latter category is the trick
    The OP has 38 posts since Jan 08
    You have 172 since Feb 02

I fail to see how this thread has really turned into a post count thread.

OP made a statement. A couple of us find it worthy of discussion.

Reading and Writing..... it is how we become informed.

By the way... you missed my point earlier. You stated back that you did not post anything confidential or basically anything that would violate your own TOS. My point was... neither did the OP. of course in my misinformed opinion.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast