domain registrar & reseller

i have came across alot of sites that offers domain registration. is there any reason that i should register with a registrar instead of a reseller?

how do i differentiate between the both of them?

eg. gkg.net, moniker.com, enom: are they reseller or registrar?
    LiteBulb

Enom is a registrar. The easiest way to identify that is resellers price will be little bit higher than the registrars.

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityDD View Post
    The easiest way to identify that is resellers price will be little bit higher than the registrars.
    I don't think that is a good pointer. Remember? We have Network Solutions and Register.com (the 4th and 8th largest registrars on earth).

But most registrars won't hesitate to display that ICANN accredited registrar LOGO (which resellers are NOT allowed to show).

I would say an end-user should stick to accredited registrars unless you find a LOCAL reseller's value added products or services (e.g. design or hosting) are useful to you.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I agree with Nameslave.
    Signature Under Construction.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    But most registrars won't hesitate to display that ICANN accredited registrar LOGO (which resellers are NOT allowed to show).
    True. look for ICANN accredited registrar LOGO.
    █ Shiva WebZillatech.com - For Quality Design Services
    Web Design, Graphic Design, SEO/SEM ,Logo & banner design ,Flash, Joomla, Wordpress etc.,

True. Enom and resellerclub are the registrars.

LiteBulb the ICANN accredited registrars list is always available online

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html

Cheers.

thank you so much all. so i can just assume that those NOT displaying ICANN logo are reseller.
    LiteBulb

Yep. Or not worth dealing with.

So you mean guys that customers should not deal with web hosting companies (which most are resellers) by NOT registering the domain with them upon sign-up of service even it is an option?

Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    So you mean guys that customers should not deal with web hosting companies (which most are resellers) by NOT registering the domain with them upon sign-up of service even it is an option?
    i guess for fuss free, better not. else they could retain your domain when u intend to change host.
    LiteBulb

Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    Yep. You should never register your domain with your webhost anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Yep. You should never register your domain with your webhost anyway.
    Why not? I think this is a great idea they can mange your domain and setup the domain for you. I had allot of customers that don't know how to setup custom name servers with their domain providers.

Well if you have to ask, then I guess I have to refer you to the Do's and Don'ts of Domain Registration in the Tutorials section http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=564900

wow, so there are only a handful of ICANN accredited British domain registrars? (I see about 8 on that list).

Well it is easy to go to ICANN's website and to check who's accredited and who's not (icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html). There are a few types of domain registrars. Some are (or used to be) large domain registration providers only, but within the last few years decided to increase their product portfolio by offering various website services and products.

There are also classic hosting providers who are ICANN accredited. And there are companies who have contracts with ICANN accredited domain registrars and resell domain names on behalf them. So of those have thousands of domain names others less.

When it comes to domain names only, you can go with any well-established and reputable ICANN accredited registrar or with any reseller who has good reputation and offers low cost domain registration.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by LiteBulb View Post
    thank you so much all. so i can just assume that those NOT displaying ICANN logo are reseller.
    Not necessarily. Namecheap displays an ICANN logo since they are a registrar, BUT they are selling their domains as a reseller. They are a reseller for enom.

Apparently they haven't switched over to their own service even after nearly two years of getting accreditation.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past and no future. --Lazarus Long

That having been said, NameCheap are still a very reputable company, and recommended.

The best way is to ask around. And you did it correctly by asking people in this forum. Enom is a registrar.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Noted all comments =)

i went the Moniker way =)

Thanks all!!!
    LiteBulb

you can check list of reseller centric registrars:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/D...ller_Registrar

If you are not looking for registering domains in bulk, you should stick to a reseller of a registrar as you will get a good rate from him. Registrars generally sell domains to end customers at a very high rate. If you have bulk domains to register, contact a registrar for resellership.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Quote Originally Posted by prashant1979 View Post
    If you are not looking for registering domains in bulk, you should stick to a reseller of a registrar as you will get a good rate from him. Registrars generally sell domains to end customers at a very high rate. If you have bulk domains to register, contact a registrar for resellership.
    Currently situation is not like that, now a days registrar is also selling domains at lower price for small resellers.

you can check at http://www.connectreseller.com is one of the 6 reseller centric registrar and has only $99 as initial usable deposit for having account with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ashok854 View Post
    Currently situation is not like that, now a days registrar is also selling domains at lower price for small resellers.

you can check at http://www.connectreseller.com is one of the 6 reseller centric registrar and has only $99 as initial usable deposit for having account with them.
    Well, what I mentioned was If you are not looking for registering domains in bulk, you should stick to a reseller of a registrar as you will get a good rate from him. If you are looking for bulk domains, you can signup as a reseller of a registrar selling domains at cheap rate.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Prashanty you are right but many a time people prefer to register domain from registrar then from reseller of reseller/registrar.

if you are getting domains at $7.29 from registrar then its good to go with registrar.

Ashok,

you are right. as a reseller of registrar you have better control over domain compared to reseller of reseller.

many a time reseller contact the customer directly and get the business where as registrar dont have time to talk with customer cause they are interested in bulk business not one domain.

domain register is better to registrar in Enom,goaddy . the key is you can free move the domain.

Well Godaddy is not Reseller Centric Registrar:

If you are looking for registering domains for your customer then you should go for reseller centric registrar. who will provide you private labeled solutions.