I've got a laptop that needs a new OS, unfortunately it doesn't have a functioning optical drive. I've got a USB HDD that I can use, is there any way I can load a Linux OS on the HDD and boot from the HDD then install said OS onto the computer?
1) Download the Fedora liveusb-creator-2.7.zip and extract to your PC (this tool not only works with Fedora iso's but also other flavours of UNIX/Linux including Centos)
2) Download the latest DVD/Live CD iso for Centos from the mirror nearest you here.
3) Navigate to the liveusb-creator-2.7 folder and click liveusb-creator.exe to launch the tool
4) Under Use existing Live CD, browse to where you saved the CentOS .iso and select it
5) Set the Target Device to point to your USB flash drive
6) Click Create Live USB to begin the creation process