HP 2848 reliable enough for public facing production switching?

The 2848's can be had at pretty good prices these days. Don't think I'll be needing any fancy features out of these guys aside from vlaning, spanning tree, port channeling and some other basic commodities -- all of which should be cake for this switch.

I was going to pickup some 2950's, but considering these are only ~600 each in most cases..might as well. Thoughts?

I've used the 2848's before in a production environment with solid amounts of traffic, they've all ran fine (using VLANs and flow control) and with the HP's the advantage is the lifetime warranty
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

Why not get 2950's?

You can pick them up used on ebay working for cheap too. I got myself a 24 port 2950 for $50. Works great.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Yeah, We swear by the HP Procurve switches - never had a problem with one ( we're running roughly about 23. )

L2 traffic? You shouldn't have any issues with normal traffic patterns.

L3 routing? I'd look to something more robust.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

HP Procurve switches

1800-24 has 35.7 Million pps throughput
    2848 has a 69Million pps throughput
    2900-48G has 110Million pps throughput
    2910AL-48G has 131Million pps throughput

Just how much million pps throughput per GigE port is necessary for public facing L3 performance?

I do wish CiscoMike can reveal the switch matrix we talked about a few months ago.

Routing throughput is in no way relayed to what you just posted -- there's no way that switch is going to route in the mpps range. Maybe 50-100kpps..

It also depends vastly on the type of traffic.

People don't realize that these switches have shared buffer pools and when you load up a bunch of ports and put real world traffic on them, the 'claimed' specs are meaningless.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Routing throughput is in no way relayed to what you just posted -- there's no way that switch is going to route in the mpps range. Maybe 50-100kpps..

It also depends vastly on the type of traffic.

People don't realize that these switches have shared buffer pools and when you load up a bunch of ports and put real world traffic on them, the 'claimed' specs are meaningless.
    All these guys will be doing is switching. Any idea what the buffers are like? I didn't realize the buffer wasn't on a per port basis, like some other switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Why not get 2950's?

You can pick them up used on ebay working for cheap too. I got myself a 24 port 2950 for $50. Works great.
    I've got three or four of them sitting next to me . Dime a dozen. Would be nice to be able to do gigabit considering how cheap the switches are!

If you're not using any L3 features, you should be able to max out the ports on the switch fine. As long as you're not oversubscribing or doing something weird like aggregating 1gbps server links into a 100Mbps uplink, ect.

As soon as you start using L3 routing stuff, the game changes and performance will vary drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    If you're not using any L3 features, you should be able to max out the ports on the switch fine. As long as you're not oversubscribing or doing something weird like aggregating 1gbps server links into a 100Mbps uplink, ect.

As soon as you start using L3 routing stuff, the game changes and performance will vary drastically.
    Good to know. Right -- I have beefier hardware upstream handling all of that fun stuff .