WebDAV Shared Hosting -- Need some suggestions!

Hi peoples!

I’m here to ask a question which I am sure many have asked—what shared hosting plan do YOU suggest? What do YOU think is the best? I have used My Mark Down, GoDaddy, Blue Host, LunarPages, Home Pages, and a few others...

But this time I need some specific things for my company:

1. WevDAV (A MUST! No alternative!)
    2. 50 GBs disk space or more.
    3. 150 GBs transfer or more.
    4. No “Unlimited” transfer or space.
    5. Servers and company HQ located in the USA.
    6. No overcrowded servers.
    7. A 99.9%+ uptime guarantee.
    8. Fantastico Deluxe and/or Simple Scripts.
    9. IMAP support.
    10. PHP, Perl, CGI-bin, & MySQL databases.
    11. 10+ subdomains.
    12. At least 1 addon domains.
    13. Statistics (like WebAnalyzer).
    14. Custom error pages.
    15. No limitation on email attachment sizes.
    16. Offsite linking allowed (i.e-files and folders from another site or service can be accessed directly, like a link to, without infringing on the TOS or usage policy).
    17. Weekly server backups.
    18. Excellent customer support, with people located in the USA.
    19. Option for later adding a dedicated IP address.

The budget is $10 a month.

That SHOULD sound pretty reasonable. I mean, it’s not reseller and not dedicated or VPS either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Even pointing me in the right direction would help a lot. Thanks. All your recommendations, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated.

Seriously for what you require you are going to need to spend more than $10.00 a month.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

unfortunately is not reasonable to request 50 GB of space and 150 GB of bandwidth for $10 per month.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If I omitted only three things I could get DreamHost for $10 a month. I wouldn't want to use them though, since they are nefarious for low quality service and support, as well as overloaded servers--or so I have been told.

One thing you need to look at is, You get what you pay for.
    Sure you can go dreamhost and get their claim to fame ''Unlimited'', Though you did not ask for this, It still could not be possible. Their are going to be limitations to what you can use overall and this is not limited to just Diskspace and Bandwidth.

Looking at your requirements, You may want to up your budget a bit more especially if you are going to use 50GB of Diskspace. Though the 150GB Bandwidth would seem reasonable on a VPS...

Sean
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by geshrael View Post
    If I omitted only three things I could get DreamHost for $10 a month. I wouldn't want to use them though, since they are nefarious for low quality service and support, as well as overloaded servers--or so I have been told.
    Correct - you will find hosts within your budget with the same low quality service and support as you mentioned. Hence, what everyone meant above was to increase your budget to get better quality service and support.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

you'll end in another provider overloading and overcrowding the server if they offer what you ask for $10 per month, how they do suppose to make money otherwise?

I actually know someone who works with servers and a hosting company. He doesn't have webdav and his servers all have PLESK, which I loathe vehemently. Anyway, he says that it's perfectly reasonable to find good shared hosting at $10-$12 a month without overcrowding the server. I'd use his services if not for the fact they are exclusively Plesk--though I don't think it is a big deal to install webdav.

If there was an alternative to WebDAV--something that does EXACTLY the same thing, that would be something else. I can easily find something pretty good on my own for my budget if I didn't need to have something so rare.

Unfortunately, I need to have a collaborative web environment for my clients. Windows FTP using Explorer is one thing, but--I guess it gets kind of complicated. They're all to used to WebDAV.

Sorry to double post.

So, I just read that WebDAV is actually something that comes STANDARD with cPanel 11. Is this true? Is it just SUPPORT for it or does it need to be installed?

If it does this will make things actually a LOT easier. x3

If you mean to say Web Disk, yes it comes standard with cPanel.
    However based on your budget of $10, 50GB of space is a little too much and you will most probably end up with a "cheap" or "budget" provider. You may not be placed in an overcrowded server initially but once they load more accounts into the server, the side-effects will start to appear. You will really need to increase your budget if you really need to use that much space.
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

I will have to confer with my clients to see if that is fine (to use Web Disk).

Maybe I should clarify my situation a bit--although it won't really help I think.

I am doing research for the printing company I work for. They currently are hosting with a company that is about 10 miles north of them. It's $6 a month, they have WebDav, offer Plesk AND cPanel, and offer unlimited space and transfer.

I only had to speak with them once to decide they were all idiots. I even credit GoDaddy for at least understanding a problem and being able to resolve it.

Their system is a mess, which is why I was hired--to clean it all up. They need the WebDAV for clients to collaborate with them on modifications to designs done by their designers and our guys using PageFlex. This all done using Adobe Acrobat to a share folder.

There will be a website too, but it only supplies information about the company; all of our ordering is done with a service called Four51.

As CRAZY as it sounds my employer will spend $1000 (including VeriSign) a month for this service but is reluctant to spend more than $10 for hosting. I know it can be done, since I have experience in finding MODERATELY FAIR webhosts--but for the sake of their business, for collaboration, and for EMAIL, I have to find something to suit their needs.

Email, a collaboration/web disk space, and finally the guarantee that if we have a problem some idiot who isn't reading off a manual will respond AND everything will be up 99.9% of the time.

Trust me, if I could push for anything more I would--but the giant behemoth printers always need fixing, the T1 needs to be paid, and the man still clings to old G3s.

XD I hope this clarifies my situation a bit, if only make it hilariously pathetic.

First off,
    I'd recommend trying to explain to the company if their business is based around using this piece, then they should give more budget towards it. There are some companies you can check out, I'd recommend reviewing the offers section of the forum.

You may find a few companies offering this kind of space/bandwidth but I'd do some research before signing up. Many of those companies could be fly-by-night operations or providing heavily oversold services as mentioned above.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

I'm going to do some fast maths to you, let's say that a host have a 2 TB of space on a server, 40 accounts like yours would be enough to fill it. This mean, that $400 per month they will get for a server that probably to the host cost more than that if they rent it, or, another option is to overcrowd it in order of get profit.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Why on EARTH would they have a 2TB server? That is so 2007. I have even seen webhosts that offer a terrabyte of space--which made me laugh because the only thing I think could ever take up that much space is a game servlet.

This search is tedious. Searching for a reseller was cake compared to this! Sheesh. If they were a company I hated I'd just tell them to go with Host Gator and be done with it.

I keep LEANING that way too. I don't want to though--I know they are bad, just like Dream Host.

Ugh.

What about Innohosting? I considered them for reseller, but I have never heard anything regarding shared hosting from them.

Why on EARTH would they have a 2TB server? That is so 2007
    Don't want to be rude, but you have NO idea of what you're talking about. Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36 and check any of the dedicated server offers.

I made that statement based upon research I did back in 2007 where I entertained the thought of setting up my own web server. Back then I saw a few 2TB servers, others had much more storage (up to 5TB).

So I don't know what YOU'RE talking about. I just know what I've seen.

Anyway, like I said, I am not interested in dedicated; it's too expensive. Shared is fine. I will be chatting with a rep tomorrow and see how far I can take this--but I know the budget is fixed. =\

Anyone ever try A2 Hosting?

Anyone ever try A2 Hosting?
    I have never used them, Give them a go and see how you fair. Or search of A2Hosting here on WHT.

Good Luck

So, we ended up trying A2 Hosting. They really aren't that bad, but unfortunately "Web Disk" isn't what we are looking for--well, not exactly. Because we cannot access the "root level" (or something like that), usernames for Web Disk require the addition of the extension @mydomain.com. Our client will NOT tolerate that. So, we decided on having two hosting solutions: one for our website and mail, the other exclusively for WebDav and this client. So, what I list now should seem a LOT more reasonable:

WebDav Server
    Space: 250 MBs
    Bandwidth/Transfer: 5 GBs
    cPanel/Plesk: Note necessary
    FTP: Web Folder is fine
    Other Scripts: Not necessary
    Logging: Preferred, but not mandatory
    Specs: Need server capability for usernames without with extenstion (ex: user and not [email protected])
    Budget: $10 /mo
    Server Location: United States or Canada ONLY
    Phone Support: Yes
    Ticket/Email Support: Yes
    Server Uptime: 99.8%+ (and guarantee)

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am already looking into getting a quote from a friend's hosting company, but I would like some input on what other people are charging for similar services.

Thanks again.