Should I change hosts for better plan?

I currently have a VPS with KnownHost and I need to upgrade because I am reaching my oomguarpages limit more now than ever. (see screen shot)I am paying $62.50 a month. Well minus my WHMCS that costs $5.00 the actual package costs $57.50 for.
    20 GB of space
    550 GB of bandwidth
    576 MB of guaranteed RAM
    1280 MB of burst RAM

If I upgrade to their VS4 plan it will cost $70.00 a month for
    Ram 768 MB
    Disk Space 45 GB
    Bandwidth 700 GB
    No burst Ram
    Cpanel

I can't stand much more in monthly costs right now so I have been looking around. I have found ServInt offers what seems to be a good plan named Essential VPS. That plan is $45.00 a month and includes.
    30 GB Disk Space
    1 TB Monthly Transfer
    768 MB Guaranteed (1.5 GB Burst RAM)
    Cpanel

I can actually cut my monthly bill by moving to ServInt.

With that being said I have been with KnownHost for 3+ years and have had nothing but good service with them. I have also seen some great feedback from ServInt which is the only reason I would even consider them as an option to move my sites too.

I was wondering if anyone has ever changed hosts from a great provider seeking a better plan at cheaper prices? Is it a wise thing even though you are comparing two great companies?

This VPS is for my own use I do not sell any hosting on it, I run a couple forums and other websites and that's about it.

Thanks for any feedback anyone may have to offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oomq.gif  

Considering you've been a customer for 3+ years, I would think they'd want to build a plan that fits your budget so they can keep you as a customer.

If I were you, I would explain that you can't afford more RAM, but make sure you emphasize how you have been a great customer for 3+ years and ask them for a little ram boost.

KnownHost is definitely a reputable provider. However, you will be able to find a plan with 756mb+ bandwidth for under $70/month from someone else. But, keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

First off, are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution? From there we can give you a list of recommended providers to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by OH-Bill View Post
    KnownHost is definitely a reputable provider. However, you will be able to find a plan with 756mb+ bandwidth for under $70/month from someone else. But, keep in mind, you get what you pay for.
    Oh yea boy am I aware of this and that's why I would not consider just anyone. It would have to be a company with a great service reputation to even consider. That is why I mentioned ServInt as an option.
    First off, are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution? From there we can give you a list of recommended providers to check out.
    Managed

Check out wiredtree if you are looking for a managed solution, they have a great reputation. However, I would email knownhost first for a custom offer; they may be able to help you out as you have been a client for 3 years.

If you're happy with KnownHost, then I personally would think it's worth the extra fee to continue with them.

An alternative as well is to find out if your current host would be willing to switch you over to an unmanaged plan (if they offer that) with a lower monthly payment.

Check out wiredtree if you are looking for a managed solution, they have a great reputation. However, I would email knownhost first for a custom offer; they may be able to help you out as you have been a client for 3 years.
    Wired Tree $77.00
    • 768MB Guaranteed SLM RAM
    • 80GB RAID-10 Disk Space
    • 1000GB Bandwidth
    • 4 Dedicated IPs
    • cPanel / WHM (VPS Optimized)

I have to at least get to 768MB of Ram or I am just going backwards. Wired Tree would be no cheaper than what I have now but I thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    If you're happy with KnownHost, then I personally would think it's worth the extra fee to continue with them.
    I was thinking the same but I'm on a tight budget right now and need to squeeze every dollar for what it's worth, which is not much these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    An alternative as well is to find out if your current host would be willing to switch you over to an unmanaged plan (if they offer that) with a lower monthly payment.
    Unmanaged is not an option.

Thanks

ServInt would be a great choice rather than WT.

ServInt has 1TB of bandwidth compare to WT's 600gb plus you will be provided with 768MB ram that you can burst up to 1.5GB. this is awesome right?

Support:
    All I can say is wow. This is the Real 5 Minute Resolution Support. Send a ticket and you will not receive this kind of response "Okay I will look on it" Instead they will tell you this: "Okay, It's been fixed". You see? no more need for long and confusing discussions.

Connectivity Speeds:
    although Servint doesn't have connectivity with Level3, they're still great. I get max 230ms Ping and I'm here in Manila.

I'm running a small wordpress site that consumes a around 10-15 gigs of bandwidth a day and around 40-70 concurrent users. server speed was okay and I can see its optimized. co'z I'm only using around 400megs of ram whereas I'm also running a shoutcast station with 1000max users and currently it has around 20 listeners online.

Look at futurehosting as well. They along with others have listings in: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
    Mike

It's always a good idea to stay with a provider as good as KnownHost (I've been with them for 16 months). The grass is not always greener on the other side.

That said, the numbers aren't adding up. The way I see it, you're paying for a 64 mb upgrade on the RAM, correct?

Well, for the Vs3 plan, it's $45, plus $5 if they still charge extra for cPanel. That's $50. If you upgrade to 640mb RAM through their ala carte program, that's an additional $7.50. Total, $57.50, what you're paying now. In fact, it's a little cheaper. Plus you'll have 10 more gigs of disk space. If you wanted to go up to the 256 mb upgrade (to make it 768 MB), that's an additional $5 ($62.50).

You're not hitting the oomguarpages limit that often, that I'd see you needing to go that high. Have you contacted support and asked them about changing some settings in your VPS that allows for more efficient running? They're willing to help. A VPS as normally set up isn't really maximized.

Another thing you can look at is the scripts you're running. Are you using caching? Have you optimized the scripts to minimize calls to the database? Have you thought about disabling some memory hungry services like awstats and spam assassin? All those should be done before you think about moving.
    Last edited by BristolSue; 07-16-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Made something clearer
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by BristolSue View Post
    It's always a good idea to stay with a provider as good as KnownHost (I've been with them for 16 months). The grass is not always greener on the other side.

I agree, the grass is not always greener and that's why I would not even consider another host without some very positive input from other customers.
    That said, the numbers aren't adding up. The way I see it, you're paying for a 64 mb upgrade on the RAM, correct?
    No I have an older plan with a +256 MB RAM upgrade.

Well, for the Vs3 plan, it's $45, plus $5 if they still charge extra for cPanel. That's $50. If you upgrade to 640mb RAM through their ala carte program, that's an additional $7.50. Total, $57.50, what you're paying now. In fact, it's a little cheaper. Plus you'll have 10 more gigs of disk space. If you wanted to go up to the 256 mb upgrade (to make it 768 MB), that's an additional $5 ($62.50).
    I would want the 768 so that would be $67.50 because of the WHMCS that costs another $5.00
    You're not hitting the oomguarpages limit that often, that I'd see you needing to go that high. Have you contacted support and asked them about changing some settings in your VPS that allows for more efficient running? They're willing to help. A VPS as normally set up isn't really maximized.
    No I have not as I did not know this was an option, but thank you for that advice.
    Another thing you can look at is the scripts you're running. Are you using caching? Have you optimized the scripts to minimize calls to the database? Have you thought about disabling some memory hungry services like awstats and spam assassin? All those should be done before you think about moving.
    Again thanks for the advice and i will look into it.

The only reason I even thought about this is I saw that ServInt was offering the Essential VPS for $49.00, and I was just looking to save some money.

I've been using 2 servint servers for my company in the last 4 years. Well I have one VPS (I put all my sites in one server) this year, and I can tell you that speed has been great, though I have a plan for 60gb. If you're tight on budget servint could be an option, however try to talk to knownhost rep, sometimes they can give a discount to keep you as loyal customer.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RaceJunkie View Post

I would want the 768 so that would be $67.50 because of the WHMCS that costs another $5.00
    I already figured the $5 cost into the numbers. What I'm saying is if you take a look at their vs3, which has 512 MB for $45, add cPanel/WHMCS in for $5, then do an alacarte upgrade for either the extra 128MB ($7.50 for a total of $57.50) or the extra 256MB ($12.50 for a total of $62.50) the price is pretty comparable to what you're paying now.
    No I have not as I did not know this was an option, but thank you for that advice.
    Glad to help. Just open a support ticket and ask them. As you know, their support is great.

The only reason I even thought about this is I saw that ServInt was offering the Essential VPS for $49.00, and I was just looking to save some money.
    Hehe, aren't we all? I too would like to save the money, but I'm so used to the great service from Known Host that I'm unwilling to take a chance on moving, even to another well known provider like Servint.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Their too expensive. You can get a better price with more ram if you look at the offers section. If you have been with them for 3+ years you should submit a ticket and tell them about your thoughts on moving. They might give you a good deal.
    RomesBlog - Dividend Investing, Financial News, Personal Portfolio and More.
    X - Follow me on X.

Does ServInt offer alacarte for Ram? i did not see it as an option on their site.

Does ServInt offer alacarte for Ram? i did not see it as an option on their site.
    No. ServInt pretty much just offers the vps plans as listed on their website. I think this makes it easier for them to manage and also helps guarantee that their customers get the resources they are promised. Overall, the ServInt plans seem to "step-up" nicely from plan to plan for when you need to upgrade. Once you get into dedicated servers, I think they will work with you on custom setups.

I have been with ServInt for a while and strongly recommend their services. Since they recently upgraded their servers & resources offered, ServInt seems to be the best value when it comes to getting a top-notch managed vps from a well established company. If you go with ServInt, you will not be disappointed.

However, I am a strong advocate of sticking with hosts that treat you well. And it seems that you have been happy with KnownHost. I agree with the others and suggest that you talk to sales at KnownHost and let them know your thoughts. Maybe they will be able to come up with a plan and/or price that will meet your needs.

If not, I hope to see you soon in the ServInt customer forums.

Why not contact KH and have them work with you? One of my VPS's is with them and all I had to do was open a ticket and they upgraded me to their current promo (15% off for life). Their VS4 is $55.25 /mo with the current promotion. You get a 768MB VPS with WHMCS for $60.25, and that's if they don't work with you for being there for 3 years.

As for moving from one host to another I've done that a few times, I try to be really careful and only move from one established host to another. I've even considered ServInt and I more then likely would be with them if they had a west coast DC. They are both excellent hosts you can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Im not going anywhere.

I would never leave a host as great as KnownHost without contacting them first. I remember the days of a new host every six months or less, because of poor support, or just bad hosting. I was just mainly looking some input on what others think about moving for a cheaper plan, I am thankful for the good responses you have all given me.

I did contact KnownHost and ask if there was anything they could offer since I was needing an upgrade but on a budget. I spoke with Joel and I must say what a professional he his,he did accommodate me and upgraded my VPS at a new package and price. I told him to go ahead with the upgrade and within 10 minutes, after I told him I accepted the offer it was done. Looking forward to more yrs with KnownHost.

Thanks Everyone.