Websites like facebook, youtube etc..

Hello all,
    I have some queries and I am looking for some genuine answers.
    High Traffic websites like facebook,youtube and etc..:
    -How do they manage their databases and Where do they host their hosting?
    -A website that is getting popular and generating traffic, possible to be in top 10,000 websites, what kind of requirements need to be fulfilled for such website?
    Requirements like what could be the minimum hosting space required? What amount of money needs to pay for that hosting?

You should look at setting up a cluster/load balancing solution to accommodate your high traffic website. Not every solution is the same as requirements varies from setup to setup. If you're not experienced in this field I would recommend contacting a managed hosting provider or a System Administrator to assist with this.

Great to know your site is generating traffic, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by arty101 View Post
    Hello all,
    -A website that is getting popular and generating traffic, possible to be in top 10,000 websites, what kind of requirements need to be fulfilled for such website?
    Requirements like what could be the minimum hosting space required? What amount of money needs to pay for that hosting?
    Like Jason said, you would setup clusters/load balancing. You would be spending a lot of money, usually a few grand a month on good setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    You should look at setting up a cluster/load balancing solution to accommodate your high traffic website. Not every solution is the same as requirements varies from setup to setup. If you're not experienced in this field I would recommend contacting a managed hosting provider or a System Administrator to assist with this.

Great to know your site is generating traffic, congratulations!
    Your last sentence made me laugh=).
    If that's been a case, I would have been enjoying my time in some peaceful Island.lol

I am just concentrating on a future plan, so getting information from people like you.

Could you give me an estimate for such hosting?.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Like Jason said, you would setup clusters/load balancing. You would be spending a lot of money, usually a few grand a month on good setups.
    Which are the better hosting companies for such class? Can you mention any names?

It would depend on your location, where are most of your users going to be surfing from?

Those two would require a massive cluster (i.e. many servers for each different role performed etc) of servers. YouTube especially would also need file servers with massive HDs (and lots of them), along with very high bandwidth connections.

They'd house their servers in their own private data centers.

As for a cost - $1m per month? Maybe more, depending on how large the DCs are, how established their infrastructures etc are.

I could be wrong. I know that Wikipedia pay over $100k per month for their hosting, and it'd be safe to assume that YouTube especially would have much higher hosting costs than Wikipedia.

Although for 'simply' (word used lightly) Alexa 10,000 ranked sites, maybe a smaller cluster costing $1k-$5k per month would work fine. Obviously sites like Facebook and YouTube would have amazingly high hosting costs compared to 'normal' websites.
    Last edited by Tristan Perry; 07-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    It would depend on your location, where are most of your users going to be surfing from?
    Well, users from all over the world... or especially from North America, UK, South Asian countries and middle east as well. In the beginning the process of visitors would be quite low but as I said, in future, possibility is there!

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    Those two would require a massive cluster (i.e. many servers for each different role performed etc) of servers. YouTube especially would also need file servers with massive HDs (and lots of them), along with very high bandwidth connections.

They'd house their servers in their own private data centers.

As for a cost - $1m per month? Maybe more, depending on how large the DCs are, how established their infrastructures etc are.

I could be wrong. I know that Wikipedia pay over $100k per month for their hosting, and it'd be safe to assume that YouTube especially would have much higher hosting costs than Wikipedia.

Although for 'simply' (word used lightly) Alexa 10,000 ranked sites, maybe a smaller cluster costing $1k-$5k per month would work fine. Obviously sites like Facebook and YouTube would have amazingly high hosting costs compared to 'normal' websites.
    That's too muchhhhh! What do you think how much WHT would be paying for its hosting?

That's too muchhhhh! What do you think how much WHT would be paying for its hosting?
    WHT isn't really *that* big - not even close to YouTube or FaceBook by any stretch of the imagination.

If I remember correctly there are 2 or 3 web servers and one or two back-end MySQL servers but I am speculating based upon my patchy memory of the last time this was discussed.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    WHT isn't really *that* big - not even close to YouTube or FaceBook by any stretch of the imagination.

If I remember correctly there are 2 or 3 web servers and one or two back-end MySQL servers but I am speculating based upon my patchy memory of the last time this was discussed.
    Well WHT is ranked within top 3000! That's high considering its just a forum based on hosting and providing info to specific group of professionals or beginners.
    But generalizing with your Guess, if a website is within 10,000, one server would do?

Contact the folks at upscalehost.com for a quote on a cluster/load balanced solution

They own their own servers, Youtube, Google, Facebook. In fact Youtube pays about 1 million a day JUST for bandwidth!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesinjid View Post
    They own their own servers, Youtube, Google, Facebook. In fact Youtube pays about 1 million a day JUST for bandwidth!
    Really? I thought it was Google policy to not disclose such information.

Well WHT is ranked within top 3000! That's high considering its just a forum based on hosting and providing info to specific group of professionals or beginners.
    But generalizing with your Guess, if a website is within 10,000, one server would do?
    What I was trying to say is that there are many forums out there with many more members and quite a bit more traffic. When you are dealing with servers that are specialized for a purpose such as one for Apache, one for MySQL, and one for Mail as an example and you are only using them for *one* site - if done right you can push quite a bit of content and views.

I mean if you think about it - a high end server can serve 2,000 domains or more if done right so why couldn't a single high-end server running only a single service (not several as most do) push a lot of data through?

I'm not saying you could do anything like FaceBook or YouTube on only a couple of computers either - to work at their scale I am sure they have hundreds of servers.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that if you really do plan on it growing - how you are going to scale the system to keep up.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    What I was trying to say is that there are many forums out there with many more members and quite a bit more traffic. When you are dealing with servers that are specialized for a purpose such as one for Apache, one for MySQL, and one for Mail as an example and you are only using them for *one* site - if done right you can push quite a bit of content and views.

I mean if you think about it - a high end server can serve 2,000 domains or more if done right so why couldn't a single high-end server running only a single service (not several as most do) push a lot of data through?

I'm not saying you could do anything like FaceBook or YouTube on only a couple of computers either - to work at their scale I am sure they have hundreds of servers.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that if you really do plan on it growing - how you are going to scale the system to keep up.
    Thanks for interesting read))

Hello all,
    A website like youtube or facebook are probably housed in their own, private data centers. They are at least running on dedicated servers. If you plan on having a website that's in the top 10,000, you have to own your own web server and a database server. You would probably have to pay someone to manage it full time too.

Well you will have to start with a dedicated server. Later if your site grow rapidly you will take another dedicate server Google has over 500.000 servers Just for one web site.