cPanel Alternatives - for VPS

Looking for a cpanel alternative for a vps, im looking to reduce my out going, i don't have my vps has a product selling server, but i do host a few of my mates sites, so i do need a control panel

has anyone any recommend ations or anything reguarding this?

hoping to get something that can port cpanel to it....

regards
    Martyn

Martyn, check out Direct Admin (www.directadmin.com) which is a reasonably priced control panel. If you want something free just to manage services on your VPS you can install webmin.

Yeah i was just looking at directadmin, do you know if it has the option to port cpanel?

i love cpanel but 15$ /mo for something i use just for my self is abit to much i think!! (read you can get it for 9-10) if i can find this i would prob stay, but im unable to locate it!

anyway if you know, could you let me know! thanks.
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    Looking for a cpanel alternative for a vps, im looking to reduce my out going, i don't have my vps has a product selling server, but i do host a few of my mates sites, so i do need a control panel

has anyone any recommend ations or anything reguarding this?

hoping to get something that can port cpanel to it....

regards
    I would only put trust into DA/cPanel tbh.

You can get internal cPanel licenses for $10, some hosts eat the cost, say for example JaguarPC who offers it for $5~$7 for a VPS.

ah i see im with vaserve =-/
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    Yeah i was just looking at directadmin, do you know if it has the option to port cpanel?

i love cpanel but 15$ /mo for something i use just for my self is abit to much i think!! (read you can get it for 9-10) if i can find this i would prob stay, but im unable to locate it!

anyway if you know, could you let me know! thanks.
    This script works pretty well for cPanel to DirectAdmin migrations: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2247

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    This script works pretty well for cPanel to DirectAdmin migrations: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2247
    Even i love cpanel. Its the best control panel that I have worked with. If you have budget constraint then you can go for Direct Admin.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Two decade in Web Hosting Industry

Webmin would be good if you got only their services to manage. DA is also a good option.

Binoy
    Astraxis.

ispmanager ...

I think Directadmin could be good alternative.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

I still recommend cPanel, but if you really want to move to directadmin then take a look at directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2247

-AvitalWeb

Reading your thread, I see that you only want to use the VPS for yourself, and cPanel is too much for you. While I still recommend cPanel as it is IMO the best control panel around, Webmin would fit your needs. It is meant for server administration, not hosting though. But that is still fine for your needs as I assume you and you only are going to run the site.

You would be able to set up sites on Webmin, MySQL, DNS, Apache, etc. So all the services that you require would be there.

If you want something more than that, DirectAdmin is the second-best choice.
    Last edited by bikster; 07-31-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

Webmin/Virtualmin is not so bad. I was looking at that after the Kloxo debacle. I really miss lxAdmin/Kloxo a lot - very low resources and did what i wanted for my personal stuff, but at this point I can't justify the risk.

DirectAdmin is definitely cheaper than cPanel. The script mentioned above does a fairly decent job of converting stuff, at least it did when I last used it a year or two ago.

I agree I would simply use webmin for everyday server tasks.

You can also try ISPConfig 3 Its free and does much of what you are looking for such as Direct Admin, etc...

Depending on which flavor server software you are running the instructions from this page are very detailed.

If you dont have a test server to play with it then just install it in a fresh VPS first unless you are comfortable with the instructions and want to install it over your current configuration.