X7DCL-i RAM issues?

I have a X7DCL-i here..

Board works fine with my dual L5410's in it, posts, great.

My problem is with the RAM. I have 4 4GB DDR2-667 ECC Registered DIMM's.

The box posts with any one stick just fine, and the same with any 2 sticks. Whenever I put all 4 in, or all 4 and the 2 2GB's I have, the box won't post and just beeps.

I called SuperMicro, and they blamed it on the revision of the board, and it only works with 2 slots. So the board has 6 slots but you can only use 2?

Anyone else had an issue like that?
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Hello Dougy, to use more than two sticks of RAM you have to purchase single rank DIMMs.

I found this out the hard way myself. The one vendor I found who could guaruntee me 1.1A or later is Motherboardpro.com Just e-mail them to confirm that is what they have in stock. Any other vendors I talked to, it was a shot in the dark.

Todd

Wow! Could you imagine if you bought twenty of these only to find out you got the wrong revision? Good to know...

When/where did you order the X7DCL-i? The 1.1A revision came out over a year ago so I am surprised you would receive an older revision if you bought it recently.

I think you can use dual rank in the first two slots and fill the other four slots with single rank and it will work in the 1.1 revision. SM support recommended against it, but I'm pretty sure the manual states you can and I tried and it worked. We never put any systems into production like that though so I cannot comment on stability or any other issues. It may be worth a shot if you have some single rank on hand.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Quote Originally Posted by WiredTree Zac View Post
    When/where did you order the X7DCL-i? The 1.1A revision came out over a year ago so I am surprised you would receive an older revision if you bought it recently.

I think you can use dual rank in the first two slots and fill the other four slots with single rank and it will work in the 1.1 revision. SM support recommended against it, but I'm pretty sure the manual states you can and I tried and it worked. We never put any systems into production like that though so I cannot comment on stability or any other issues. It may be worth a shot if you have some single rank on hand.
    Came from MA Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by RackPoint-Morgan View Post
    Wow! Could you imagine if you bought twenty of these only to find out you got the wrong revision? Good to know...
    I grabbed an X7DCL-3 out of the cabinet, and all the RAM works fine on revision 1.1.
    Last edited by Dougy; 07-16-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals