Thread: FDC and Yipes

FDC and Yipes

Now that the whole FDC Servers vs. Cogent mess is over, I'd appreciate some reviews of FDC's new Yipes network from those customers still remaining from the chaos. I'm mainly interested in overall speed and ping times.

Also, can someone (preferably Petr if you're reading this) confirm the actual size of the Yipes connection (i.e. 100Mbit.) Thanks.

Iíll tell you one thing

The speed almost the same no difference but the support is going down and down .

My server well never gets uptime more than 12 hours. And I have to send FDC support more than 10 emails to get a short answer.
    My server is not working since 3 hours Until now and you can check it : 66.227.96.18
    Last edited by faris; 11-09-2002 at 07:26 AM.

untill now my box is D O W N and no reply from FDC after more than 15 emails .
    notice :

as every time they well say : we didn't get any email from your side

Well that will kill an prospective customer, lol..
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

1 thing to do, move!

i'm not a costumer of FDC ... nor was i.
    but i have to say, that i do download things from there from time to time, and i always have max. speed (90kb/s)
    but it seems the box reaches it's "limit" at 100kb/s per connection... (maybe they limited it at the ftpd) as i tried dl the same file from my servint box, and haven't got further than 100kb/s .. in the same time i started another dl with 90kb/s and the speeds remained the same on the other downloads ... so i do think that's pretty good, for the money you pay ... 100kb/s should be enough for all homeusers... with ADSL/Cable and so on... (btw. i dl the new PvD Liveset from Tranceaddict.com

just my opinion ....

best regards,
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Did all you old FDC customers ditch or something? Some more comments would be appreciated.

Off topic but thanks Bigwill for pointing out tranceaddict.com, cool site =)

I wanted to switch before, when they were with cogent. I'd always had network problems (very high packet loss, mid to high ping) there, but as it was not a server that was crucial to what I did, moving wasn't my top priority (lack of time... don't we all have that problem?)

I always blamed cogent for those problems, even tough I emailed support often to complain (I'm their customer, and they are cogents' customers).

I was patient during their last problem with cogent. I got my server I'd say at about the same time as everyone else.

Since then, I'm very very satisfied with the network reliability and speed. I don't see any packet loss anymore, downloads and uploads are quicker than ever, ...

All in all, I'm very glad I stayed, and plan to stay for quite a while. I'm a bit uneasy about their single homed link, but for the price I pay and speed I get, I'm keeping that server.

My next server will probably be in a multihomed data center (I'd like to purchase one eventually (server, not DC)), but if things remain as they are at FDC, I'll come back to them for my 3rd, 4th, ...

Some people complain about support. Appart from the packet loss problem (that were beginning a few hops before my server, so i don't think again that it was on FDC's network), everytime I've had to deal with Petr things went very nicely and quickly. Maybe I've been lucky, I don't know. But I'm not treating him like **** in my messages, so that can't hurt.

I'm not saying that's what he does, but I know I'd probably 'loose' a few emails once in a while if the sender behaved like an ***hole in it.
    - prime [[email protected]]
    ExclaimHosting - Your voice on the web.
    Fast, reliable hosting, at prices you can afford.
    http://www.exclaimhosting.com

And another thing... for FDC to get back up with a different link so fast it had to mean a lot of troubles and work. It shows to me that these guys are serious about their company.

They're not rackshack, but I beleive they'll do great things in the future.
    - prime [[email protected]]
    ExclaimHosting - Your voice on the web.
    Fast, reliable hosting, at prices you can afford.
    http://www.exclaimhosting.com

Originally posted by prime
    And another thing... for FDC to get back up with a different link so fast it had to mean a lot of troubles and work. It shows to me that these guys are serious about their company.

They're not rackshack, but I beleive they'll do great things in the future.
    I would not arrive at the same conclusion - they obviously have gone through a lot of trouble to get another link. However, that is to be expected. If they didn't bring up another link, they will be screwing everyone over, and they will be subjecting themselves to legal actions (by disgruntle clients).

I also don't see how bring up another links means "<doing> great things in the future." They are barely over with the initial migration, and now they must face the problem of clients retention and technical difficulty, not to mention how to balance between price and cost (Yipes is more expensive than cogent - if they were overselling with cogent, profit margin will now be a great problem).

I don't want to make any sort of doomsay speculation, and I am also not objecting the facts that you stated (ie. bring up another link, working hard to get it up, etc...), I just don't see how that leads to your conclusion, especially given the history of FDC.

Peter

its back online
    Last edited by C3PO; 11-09-2002 at 08:59 PM.

Originally posted by ckpeter
    I don't want to make any sort of doomsay speculation, and I am also not objecting the facts that you stated (ie. bring up another link, working hard to get it up, etc...), I just don't see how that leads to your conclusion, especially given the history of FDC.
    You are absolutely right. I guess that the fact that their network troubles seemed to be fixed gave me a very very optimistic look at all this. That, and the fact that I worked night shifts the last few days. I may not have been thinking clearly.

Its alright to be optimistic. And FDC did do a good job in bring up another link so quickly. Personally, I would like to see they stabilize (if nothing else, I am sick of all those FDC problem threads...)

Peter

Re: FDC and Yipes

i'm not 100% positive, but, i seem to remember petr saying they were getting a gig-e.

Originally posted by mushrew
    Also, can someone (preferably Petr if you're reading this) confirm the actual size of the Yipes connection (i.e. 100Mbit.) Thanks.

I highly doubt they can afford a gige offering cheap servers like they do. Maybe they will get a gige connection between two of their own switches but thats about it.

as i said, i'm not positive, but, if you look at the huge "fdc cutoff by cogent" post, on page 13 (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&pagenumber=13) you'll see where it gets started with this quote from petr/fdc:

We`ve setup appointments for tomorrow with XO, Qwest, ATT and Yipes and one of those companies will leave with signed contract for 1Gig port.

yep, i can't imagine they only got a 100mbit pipe, as they've got so many servers, and afaik they had some 100mbit pipes from cogent ... not only one.

greets,
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

It is 1 GigE

well I probably shouldn`t post this yet cause some of our partners will not be happy but I just want to clear something up....

there were too many speculations in last couple weeks regarding FDC being able to afford new provider, FDC staying in business, FDC getting cut again by Yipes, FDC being single homed etc so I`ll just post couple points regarding that.

1. FDC was orinaly to get Yipes and become multihomed in September as posted here earlier but...

2. Due to high number of orders our existing datacenter got pretty much filled so

3. With backing of Chicago board of trade and couple other companies decided to expanded and vastly invested in brand new, state of the art datacenter in Chicago board of trade building that will have approx. capacity of 10 000 servers. The new place is being finished and will become operational in January. The press release will be out in december. The new datacenter was also one of the reasons why we delayed Yipes hookup.

4. The new datacenter will be multihomed with existing 1gig from Yipes who from now on will be our primary provider and Cogent who will be back up provider with GigE as well.

5. FDC will remain dedicated to bring inexpencive servers and bandwidth as it was in the past only with improved quality. There wil be additional separate feed from Yipes for all IRC and shell hosters.

6. There has been speculations about Yipes cost...I can not say how much we pay but the price is so good that our profit margins are actually better than with Cogent

7. As to us staying in business........FDC has strong backing by several companies as said before , we just spent some serious $$$$$$ on the new datacenter, that should just say that we plan to stay in business and expand rapidly

8. There will be separated part of our datacenter that we`ll be allocated to public datacenter where people will be able to bring in /host/ and work on their servers themself. Pricing for public will be marginal compared to what other Chicago based datacenter charge

9. Some people questioned how can we retain clients after recent problems...... 12 clients total canceled, 38 new ones placed orders in last 10 days, you do the math. We grew from 40 to nearly 500 servers in last 10 months and unlike other hosting companies we actually posted profits not loss...just saying our business plan works

10. There have been problems in the past but as everybody else we learn from our mistakes.

I know there will be questions, comments and flames to this but I am not gonna respond, this was just intended to clear up misinformation. Pics of the new place will be posted in decemeber along with the press release

peace
    Last edited by bummer6666; 11-10-2002 at 10:53 PM.

Does FDC support IRC servers anymore on the network anymore? If yes (since TOC says need request), what are the procedures or extra costs?
    HostSG - Singapore Dedicated Server - Multihomed Network With Highly Optimized Asia Connectivity Including Direct China

Since your questions are sales-related, did you try emailing FDC before posting here?

Peter

Not yet. I just saw bummer's post about IRC and thought i'd asked.
    HostSG - Singapore Dedicated Server - Multihomed Network With Highly Optimized Asia Connectivity Including Direct China

there tech support is almost dead after that switch from cogent to yipe i remarked,

Only 5-7 Email sent to get my box replugged, and no answer yet, the box was down on the 11/03, now im still waiting