Futurehosting 1/3 year review

They lost my databases. Nothing more to say...

Short and to the point review, did they not provide a reason for the lost data?

Also did they not have any backups to restore the data?

They don't even gave me an explanation, they can't help me... because I'm on a unmanaged VPS. They lost all the InnoDB tables, and those table were the most important.
    As my last back-up was made in April and this site have hundreds posts every day... it's more than a critical situation.
    It's the worse thing to happen on webhosting.

Im really sorry hear that there is no way of getting your data back.
    What VPS plan are you on?

Do you know if you are going to move hosts or try and stay with them?

Didn't you keep backups on your own?

I don't keep back-up, because in 10 years as a webhosting client it never happened to lose the data. Even on low-cost shared servers. Big mistake, I know...

I'm on London - Gold VPS plan. Depends on their attitude and actions on this critical situation. If they are not gonna restore a back-up, I'll definitely gonna leave Futurehosting.
    Last edited by exxocet; 07-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Well I can only wish the best of luck and hope you can get your data back but if not all the best finding a new host.

I am sure if you post here for ideas for a new host members can give you some ideas. Also I would advise looking into custom VPS hosting as more companies are offering this where they give you 100% of what you want / require for a better price and then you can make sure for backups (Just in case).

Thank you, AeonCube, I received more support from you than from Futurehosting...

Lol, well I do like to help Most of the members on here love to help.

If you do need anything just let us know.

1. You have an unmanaged VPS. This entails the idea that we only provide support for the network and hardware.

2. Here you are saying we "lost" your databases; however, in the ticket you submitted, you claimed that a company other than ourselves deleted your databases.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

Of course a different company, because your servers are hosted on RapidSwitch, so technically, their "proffesionals" messed the tables, but it's your problem, because I pay YOU, not RapidSwitch.
    All InnoDB tables are empty since this morning. As most and all the important tables were InnoDB => you messed/lost the databases. I din't knew you're on the semantics too on Futurehosting.

I guess a node back-up it's still possible using one of your back-ups, even for an unmanaged VPS. As a payed back-up.

1. RapidSwitch provides colocation services for us. They do not have access to login to the nodes, nor do they manage the systems.

2. We spent 5-10 minutes inside your VPS this morning and see you are running LXadmin which has known vulnerabilities. See: http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/8880

3. We haven't had any changes to the node nor have any of our techs logged into your VPS prior to today. We provided you with the access logs of your VPS in the ticket.

4. You have an unmanaged VPS, thus you are responsible for the VPS and anything associated with it including vulnerabilities. We provide hardware and network support for unmanaged VPSs.

5. I've also provided you with a backup of your database from yesterday as you stated today was when your database was corrupted.

I don't intend on updating this thread any further as it is seems clear that we haven't "deleted" or "corrupted" your databases and we have provided you with a backup of the database. We also advise you disable lxadmin. If you require assistance from us, please use our ticket system as that is the only official form of communication with our staff - and we are more than happy to answer questions you may have for us.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami