Comcast and Road Runner backbone

Both have a nationwide backbone, ibone for Comcast and tbone for Road Runner. Which one is bigger and does anyone have a network map?
    Last edited by HD Fanatic; 07-14-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: topic title

I would assume Comcast is bigger, but TWI may be close
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Comcast I believe is bigger. You can do a research on them both.

Did that but not much info came out of it...

I've had consumer-side experience with both backbones (in Texas I use TWC connections on a regular basis, and in Colorado I have Comcast as my home connection). I have also used SoftLayer and FDCServers; SoftLayer now peers with TWC and Comcast, and FDCServers uses Comcast for transit.

From what I've seen Comcast has the largest network of any of the cable cariers; you can go from one corner of the country to the other on Comcast, and there are many more web hosts that use their network than use TWC.

On the other hand, in my area of Texas TWC is rather competitive with business fiber, so some smaller ISPs use them as their internet link. Doesn't mean much, but just an interesting news bit. Even more interesting since last I checked their fiber network doesn't directly interconnect with their cable network on a city level...going from a TWC IP to, for example, fbgtx.org takes 40ms or so, even though both the source and the destination are in the same town.

I've actually seen instances in which TWC traffic gets passed directly to Comcast's iBone.

Due to the size of TWC's network in comparison to Comcast's, a lot more data gets passed from TWC to L3 transit, on a regional level. Of course if you're hooking into ADELPHIA-AS (the T-Bone) things work a bit differently but I'm just working from experience.

From a performance standpoint Comcast tends to take more doglegs to get from point A to point B (Denver to LA goes through Santa Teresa, TX). However their network has a good bit more capacity than TWC's...a few years ago I heard TWC only had OC48s on their backbone, whereas Comcast is 40 Gbps+ DWDM at this point to my knowledge.

If you want traceroutes on either network to any location, FDCServers' looking glass pages tend to use Comcast for routes, and I can do some tracerouting from a cable modem or two as well.

Hope this helps!
    I see your bandwidth and raise you a gigabit
    Recommendations: MDDHosting shared, Virpus high-BW VPS, 100TB/SoftLayer for awesome servers

Also FYI, Comcast's ASN is 7922 and TWC's is 7843. Might help a bit in figuring out who's connected to what. As a preliminary hint: Comcast peers with a LOT more providers than does TWC.
    I see your bandwidth and raise you a gigabit
    Recommendations: MDDHosting shared, Virpus high-BW VPS, 100TB/SoftLayer for awesome servers